What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flood and Drain feed cycles.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This depends on a number of factors

Plant roots benefit from some dry periods

If the medium you are using holds water (rock wool) then you have to wait hours.

I use polished stones, which drain fast with small amounts of water caught in crevices, so I can flood every hour, and even more often, but hourly works fine for me

Dr Watt

Who What
RW blocks - 3 times during lights on. If the media is big and plant small then you do work wet. Hydroton should be called expanded clay or BALLS - hydroton is a nice word but doesn't relate to balls for me :joint: Well, balls float, and if you get algae then the table can really be a sight. They say algae is ok (horticulturally), maybe they don't, anyway it blocks up your lines. Yes, I'd consider rw 7.5x7.5, on a larger rw block and then water by hand or on timer. So the flood and drain table is just a table - no "f&d" - built for purpose and a good purchase :joint:

This is good information - Frostqueen props etc https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=8423494#post8423494

and some pictures by me :smoke: :bandit:

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This depends on the evaporation and transpiration rate going on in your particular situation. You'll want to flood when the pebbles have nearly dried out and before the plants begin drooping. The more floods per day, the lower strength your nutrient solution will need to be.

:D

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Depends on several issues

1. What medium are your plants going to be growing in.

2. How big or small your plants are. How developed the roots are or are not.

3. What stage of growth are they in.

4. the amount of light that they are getting or are not getting. (when they receive more light they can eat/drink more)

Hydroton can be feed/have more frequent flood and drain cycles. As a rough estimate with out knowing more about the environment, you could be looking at 1-2 hours between F&D cycles. Then depending on how long you flood your tray for (and how long it takes to drain) can also factor into how often you flood the tray.

Dr Watt

Who What
Depends on several issues
Hydroton can be feed/have more frequent flood and drain cycles. As a rough estimate with out knowing more about the environment, you could be looking at 1-2 hours between F&D cycles. Then depending on how long you flood your tray for (and how long it takes to drain) can also factor into how often you flood the tray.

Yes. To give any newer grower a ballpark figure >> This applies to a medium sized plant that is growing. Medium sized plant 2ftx1ft. I've grown@1ml/ft/day so this is my better number.

For every 1ftx1ft bloom area you give 1/2ml nutrient solution (food) every day up to about 3 weeks from finish.

Anyway, if you overfeed and the plants get too dark, just add pH2O :smoke: :bandit: