What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 San Francisco Middle Schoolers sickened by marijuana

iBogart

Veteran
Marijuana sickens 10 San Francisco middle school students

School officials did not know whether the marijuana was in edible form or smoked

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco school officials say 10 middle school students who were sickened after “ingesting a substance” are believed to have consumed marijuana.

The San Francisco Unified School District said in a statement Wednesday that the students’ symptoms were “consistent with marijuana intoxication” A container labeled ‘medical cannabis’ was confiscated.

Emergency vehicles rushed to James Lick Middle School Tuesday and TV footage showed children being wheeled away on stretchers. Officials said the students had ingested an unknown substance that caused adverse reactions.

District spokeswoman Laura Dudnick said Wednesday she did not have information on whether the marijuana was in edible form or smoked.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/02/14/sick-students-marijuana-san-francisco-school/99073/

Ammo for the prohibitionist.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
50 years I have found a friend in cannabis. Half a Century and never had a single instance of negativity from it.

From Colombia, to SE Asia, to Mexico, California, NYC , Florida and never had a single incident in 50 years. Not from cannabis. Sorry, what a lot of crapola.

Green Squall

This would have been a cooler headline: 10 San Francisco Middle Schoolers Accidentally Get High As Fuck From Edibles.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Then I'm ignorant.Truly. I've never eaten marijuana before. Regardless, it's front page ammo for prohibitionist.
Anyone not ignorant has eaten edibles and also knows cannabis is harmless to kids. This is why we don't pay attention to sensationalist garbage. Like I said, unless the kids had a talent show they missed or came down with pesticide poisoning, it's a non news article for us. ;)

Like reading about the sky being blue and getting weird about it.

EvergreenState

I made some medibles that were way too strong when I first starting making them. I remember getting way too high, being very frightened and almost overwhelmed by the experience. I had the experience of getting way too high several times in my life, realizing that I just had to wait it out, that eventually I'd come down and everything would be alright.
Young children, who don't have the benefit of maturity, age and past experiences with knowing how to handle getting way too high of a dose for their tolerance level, would naturally think something very terrible was happening to them. Medibles, especially, can lead to bad experiences from way too high of a dose of thc.
Now if that would have happened to me when I was 12 years old, I would have thought I was dying. We have to stop being irresponsible by saying this story is propaganda, prohibition tactics etc. This was a real situation that happened to real kids. We have to be honest, admit that marijuana can be very, very strong and that consumption of it can lead to very bad experiences; especially to children. Hell I've seen adults freak out from getting too high and ask to go to the hospital. I've seen green outs where people start violently puking after 3 or 4 hits, then think they've been poisoned and want to go to the emergency room. It's real, it happens.
We don't want 12 year old kids to have access to hard liquor and we don't want young kids to have access to marijuana because the potency can easily overwhelm them. Let's be honest and acknowledge that marijuana CAN have very severe side effects and do the best we can to make sure young kids don't have access to it.
Let's also please stop this denial of the potential harm a very strong dose of thc can have for some people; especially the young. It's real, it can happen and all responsible marijuana users need to make sure young people don't have access to it.
This was real, it did happen and it did cause harm. Denying real experiences that happened to real people will only make the marijuana community look irresponsible. Let's be real and stop saying marijuana is harmless, it is not! When used irresponsibly, marijuana can cause harm. Let's be good stewards of the plant by being honest and responsible.
Keep your herb, your medibles, your concentrates etc. safely locked away from kids and for goodness sake don't give it to them or buy it for them. Unless you are the kind of person who would go buy a half gallon of Wild Turkey for a bunch 12 year olds who want to party; then go ahead and give them some strong medibles. Of course you aren't the kind of person who should have any association with young kids because you are an imbecile.

Maybe if the paramedics would have showed up with some Pink Floyd or Grateful Dead things would have had a happy ending.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
People are pulled out of the sea everyday for overdosing on water.....many of them die.

Even harmless looking things can become dangerous when used in the wrong way.

Quite obviously these kids should not have been taking cannabis when they did and in the quantities they took it. I have always found that edibles do not agree with me, so can sympathize with what they may have put themselves thru.

Possibly they were doing 'Spice' or some other synthetic cannabis product. That stuff freaks out a lot of people.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Kid's blowing their hands off with fireworks was less frequent, when they were not banned and people used them regularly.

Kid's used to focus on using cannabis and edibles incidents were higher in Colorado, before it became legal and kids have been exposed to it for a few years.

No, consuming too much of an edible at an early age is not pleasant and can contribute to anti-cannabis views. What I object to is the imminent danger viewpoint which causes the issues. When the kids really needed quiet, dark and calm... they were exposed to panic and sirens and flashing bright lights. Massive ignorance harming the psyche of children. Good Job!!