What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Been Busted

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
just looked at that normal link from maj potheads thread (check it out)

and found a bit on the tax stamps-
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6670

“No taxation without representation” was the rally cry of advocates of American independence in the eighteenth century. Today, tens of thousands of cannabis consumers utter a similar cry over the selective and inappropriate enforcement of illicit drug taxes.

In twenty US states, those who possess cannabis or other illegal drugs are legally required to purchase and affix state-issued stamps onto his or her contraband. The total cost of the tax is generally determined by the quantity of contraband possessed. Unlike typical criminal statutes prohibiting the possession and sale of controlled substances, drug tax stamp laws primarily assess financial penalties on the defendant for noncompliance. On occasion, criminal sanctions may also be imposed.

Although nearly half of all US states have marijuana tax stamp laws on the books, few citizens observe them. Most individuals are unaware that such laws exist in their state; others fear that complying with it will incriminate their behavior. Because of this widespread noncompliance, drug tax stamps – unlike so-called “sin taxes” on alcohol or tobacco – do not collect state tax revenue at the customer’s “point of purchase.” Rather, the legislative intent of drug tax laws is to impose an additional penalty – tax evasion – upon drug offenders after they are arrested and criminally charged with a drug violation.

In some states such as Georgia, failure to comply with the state tax law may result in a nominal misdemeanor penalty. However, in other states such as Minnesota, failure to comply with the state’s drug tax law may result in a defendant facing an additional fine of up to $14,000 and seven years in jail.

See State Tax Stamp Data for the current state penalties for violating marijuana tax laws and additional information regarding a particular state's law.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

dobb ya self in for growing or dont pay a tax....hmmmmm hard one hey?.HH. =]-~

Ajunta Pall

Something here stinks, Mo. So far no warrant? They had time to do everything else it seems but arrest you. Have the pigs told you on what supposed legal grounds they had to bust in your house? Was your grow out in the open, or was it hidden? That could be very relevant. If you had it hidden, then if they were doing a so called "welfare check" ripping apart your home would be going further than one of those alleged checks allow. By the way, whatever happened to the original investigation, the one that had you missing w/o a trace? If it ended with the discovery of your grow, I would get my lawyer to argue that they used that as a pretense to invade your privacy. If you were ratted out and someone made a controlled buy for the cops, then they would've mentioned something by now.

Has your lawyer filed a motion of discovery, or asked for a police report? If the pigs are stone walling you, perhaps your lawyer should go on the offensive. To me this is odd behavior if the pigs supposedly have a legit case.

W

Wunderkind

happyherb said:
was just thinking about that tax thing...is that the same as tax stamps for cannabis?....seen a thread i think it was sam the skunk mans thread?....he collects tax stamps....i wont explain what i remember the deal to be cause i'll probly mess it up.....from memory was a bit weird to get a tax stamp...was like a catch 22....may be a totaly differnt thing but thought to bring it up.....maybe ask sam in PM....he's a cool guy.HH. =]-~
sounds like it's the same. I live in a state that still has tax stamp laws on the books. If you're caught with over a specified amount without the stamp they can levy the tax plus a penalty.

It's not really a catch 22. It's more like what you have is worth a lot of money and because of it's worth the government wants you to pay taxes on it. It's just like the dude who caught Barry Bonds' homerun record baseball. Even if he wasn't going to sell it, they still wanted their "tax" money for it. They're just a bunch of crooks hiding behind the "law."

del...

yes but to be legal as far as the taxes go you need to buy the stamps...and they don't have stamps to sell, hence the catch 22. i have seen them for sale at ebay but most likely most if not all are fakes...

Last edited:

SoSincere

stay strong... It will all work out... and dont pay a dime on anything but the lawyer untill theres a verdict

W

Wunderkind

del... said:
yes but to be legal as far as the taxes go you need to buy the stamps...and they don't have stamps to sell, hence the catch 22. i have seen them for sale at ebay but most likely most if not all are fakes...
They're for sale, at least in my county they are. You go down to the courthouse and tell the county clerk you wish to pay taxes on (X) amount of (drug). They tell you how much it is, you pay, and get a stamp.

Last edited:
S

stoned teacher

best luck...glad the dogs are ok....

sending karma your way...home it works out for you

ExEcutioner

kmk420kali said:
My boss just got his case dropped (over 700 plants) because they came at 2am, but the box for a night time search was not checked. All charges were dropped. (But the bastards still took the plants!)

Oh Shit, that just might go in my sig. Wow, How do you go about growing again after you get that dropped, im actually asking, as in clearing name, moving etc. I imagine the feds would try and keep Some tabs??

B

BigMo

Well I had to pay out $8,800 or they were gonna put a lien on my home. So far no charges have been filed on me which is driving me crazy. I have also heard horror stories of the locals dropping all charges and then when you think you are good the State authorities come in and pick up the case and you can still get charged. This not knowing is killing me.

I talked at length with the revenue officer which is also a law enforcement officer with the local Sheriff's Department. He said that he and most of his enforcement officers wish it were legal themselves. Does not help me much I know. Also the Drug Tax Stamp Law is on appeal to the State's Supreme Court for being Unconstitutional. I asked him if it was ruled Unconstitutional would I get my money back. He said he thought I would which I know is a bold faced lie but what do you do.

Mo,

JohnnyToke

bro,

I wouldnt have paid a dime to them tax thieves. let them levy your home. that doesnt mean they can come and take it from you. it just means you cant sell it without paying them until the situation is resolved. a good lawyer would have gotten your levy removed down the road if they illegally entered your place which is what it sound like has happened from what you have shared with us. you will never see that $8800 again. it would have been much better spent on a good attorney.

unless I missed the post where they had a warrant to enter, illegal search and seizure rules are pretty much the same in all 50 states. a good defense lawyer would have your whole case thrown out of court by the judge with no probabtion, no fines, no nothing. you werent caught with them in your possession. maybe your ex or a disgruntled friend planted that crap in your house while you were gone to set you up (<<<hypothetical)....just saying....the burden of proof is on them, not you.

If I would have gone right down and paid a bogus $8800 tax on plants, my attorney would have kicked my ass. if your attorney told you to go ahead and pay it, fire his ass and get one that knows what the hell he is doing!

I hope things work out for you.

JT

Last edited:
B

BigMo

Yea I knew someone would say I should not have done it. That's Ok Bro. They did have a warrant to search the home it was signed at 8:00 pm and they entered at 10:30 pm.

Ultimately I am not in Jail and yes I could have tried my luck with a lawyer and still may have to yet but I am free on the street right now with no record still.

Choices I made and have to live with.

I would have spent the same or more on a Lawyer and still may have been charged with a felony. There are no guarantees.

Last edited:

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
man im prayin for you. keep us updated cause when you post and then dont for a while i get nervous. lets hope it all just gets put in the past and you can go live your life

habeeb said:
sounds like they knew you were growing, and waited till you left for a couple of days.

well sucks either way, get a lawyer and hope for the best. your lawyer might be able to help you throw out the case depending on where the grow was located, locks...........

Agreed ^^^^^^
get intouch with lawyer sound's like you got yourself a snitch
good luck

wow did talk a lawyer because if you pay it in my state admision of guilt and the can still bring criminal charges I hope talk your lawyer before you let the cops scare into paying it

hamstring

Veteran
Big Mo

wishing you the best hard top believe they are not going to go after the drug charges just the tax. I hope its true.

I guess my question is the warrent. Sounds like you are learning more as time goes on any idea how a warrent got issued to enter your home are they still playing the "personal safety" card or did a rat sneak into the picture?

B

BigMo

I know but I can not get a answer from the Investigator. He himself told someone that he was not gonna charge me criminally, the other cop also said that he told him he was not gonna file criminal charges. So hell I don't know. I have tried to call him several times and he will not return my call. I hate this hanging over my head like this I wish I could get a answer.

My lawyer is just being cost minded for me right now as he is a family friend. He does not want to charge me if he does not have to.

I am a very likable person and have been very lucky in my life with these kind of things, so I hope my luck continues on this. People find it hard to believe that I do anything like this. It has always worked to my advantage. I don't see how my year could get any worse. Divorce, Break in and now this. All in one year .... sux

I am almost positive someone ratted me out. My lawyer told that they were gonna make me sweat it and to be prepared for it.

Thanx to all that have commented, this is a way to get it off my chest.

Take Care

Mo,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts