What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves?

Hookahhead

Hey guys this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a bit off and on over the years. I have popped a good many beans in my time, but no where near as many as the rest of you! Anyhow, I have never seen anything like this before, which finally drew me into posting.

This plant is 3 days old since breaking the soil. Instead of throwing true leaves, it has put out what I identify as 2 caylxes, with pistils. A different seedling with the exact same age is working on its second set. So my question is has anyone seen this before? I'll update this post after it has a chance to develop some more. Thanks everyone, I've learned so many helpful bits from this site!

Attachments

• IMG_3951.jpg
    IMG_3951.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3950.jpg
    IMG_3950.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 24

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Can't see clearly in the pics but from what I can see and what you are describing I'd say the calaxy's are instead of the first true leaves. I hope the plant will live and grow so you see what comes out of it. So far I'd say it's interesting. Good luck!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Do you know the strain or cross? Environment good?

(And no, for the record. I've not seen that before.)

Hookahhead

Better picture

Better picture

Sorry I realize that the first pictures weren't the best quality, but it was late and I couldn't find a real camera. Now I can't find the cord for the camera! I did manage to snap some better pics.

I am 95% sure these are calyxes. The beans are just some Jamaican bag seed. I've popped at least 15 of these in the past month, all the others have developed normally. Another seedling that broke ground the same day is working on its second set of true leaves, and looks like any other 3-4 day old seedling. All of the seedlings have been grown in the same organic seedling mix, under the same light and environmental conditions. There are currently 7 other seedlings growing along side this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3954.jpg
    IMG_3954.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 25

Hookahhead

I'm not sure if this is auto flower, none of the other seeds have been. However I do know they have been importing genetics into Jamaica fOr over a decade, so anything is possible. I'm not in Jamaica, but Im near the equator. We get 12/12 sun here year round, so I start seeds indoors under 18:6 and move them outside after 2-6 weeks.

I've been growing for around 15 years now.. not consecutively or at any huge scale. I really don't think this is leaf formation. I know the pictures are not the best quality, but I feel the most recent one clearly shows the calyxes, with pistils. The calyxes are even "fuzzy".

I

Ignignokt

The first two pictures i thought it's probably shriveled leaf tips or something, but the third picture really looks like pistils.
Lowrider #1 was the earliest TINY little autoflower i've ever grown, calyx's maybe from the 2nd node but not like yours, if they are calyx's.

Hookahhead

Well 3 long standing members have said that it's leaf formation. I respect that, you guys probably have way more experience than me. Personally I have never seen "leaf formation" with pistils coming out of it.

I love growing out bag seed here. With my setup energy, space, flower time, and yield are not important. You never know what you're going to get, the same seeds have thrown heavy indica dominant plants, heavy sativa dominant plants, and others that lie somewher in the middle. I get the occasional runt or dud, but I have also found a few gems over the years!

I

Ignignokt

Well 3 long standing members have said that it's leaf formation. I respect that, you guys probably have way more experience than me. Personally I have never seen "leaf formation" with pistils coming out of it.

I love growing out bag seed here. With my setup energy, space, flower time, and yield are not important. You never know what you're going to get, the same seeds have thrown heavy indica dominant plants, heavy sativa dominant plants, and others that lie somewher in the middle. I get the occasional runt or dud, but I have also found a few gems over the years!

Would be great if you could get a better close up.... it does look like pistils in the 3rd picture.

Sign

If flowers then maybe you've got some odd thing going on there that I'm sure you'll keep going. Might be good mixed with a longer flowering sativa, or crap who knows.

Hookahhead

Sorry Nay-Sayers

Sorry Nay-Sayers

I apologize to those who brushed this off as "leaf formation", but you're absolutely wrong. I am 100% certain they are pistils now. I am still having trouble capturing the detail in photos, but it is unmistakable with the naked eye. Also the good news is I can see a small amount of growth in the middle, whether it will be a stem or more calyxes! Anyhow, here is an attempt at capturing it with a my digicam. I'll post an update of the plant every few days for at least the next two weeks for those who want to follow along with the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpg
    IMG_6405.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 25
I

Ignignokt

Picture 3 is still the best for me.... clearly looks like pistils.
I'm interested in how it progresses :)

Hookahhead

Money Shot

Money Shot

Finally got the money shot!!

Attachments

• IMG_6415.jpg
    IMG_6415.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6417.jpg
    IMG_6417.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 23

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wait and see. Highly improbable calyx.....with seedling only 3 days old peeping out of medium.

Hookahhead

Wait and see. Highly improbable calyx.....with seedling only 3 days old peeping out of medium.

I understand that it's highly improbable, which is why this is my first post to the boards. No offense but did you look at the pictures in the post above yours? If you zoom in it's pretty evident that it's 2 chubby calyxes with pistils. I know you breed some killer AF strains, so the fact that you don't believe it makes it even more interesting to me. I am assuming you have never seen anything like this either?

The plant is obviously stalled, since it doesn't have any true leaves currently. Like I said earlier, I can see some growth coming from the middle. So it will be interesting to see what it throws out next. I'll keep you updated, thanks for following along!

yardgrazer

It'll be interesting to see what happens, doesn't seem like a very useful adaptation for this particular plant... but if you've got the space and patience, who knows what'll come of it.