What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Cloning problem.....

R

Rubber Chicken

Hello ICmag-ers,

I have been using simple water cloning mostly for a few years, with 'reasonable' success.

I never got a high percentage but high enough for myself.

But, lately i haven't been getting any success.... sometimes they start to get tiny white nodules but then they just stall and eventually turn yellow and die.

I liked the water cloning method because i could just have a little bottle or 2 with water and forget about them.

Does anyone else water clone? If so, what would you think is the problem?

I would like to figure out what it is because it was so easy and used no time or space. :cry:

I guess if no one can give me advice about water cloning, i will have to put more effort into a different method.

Merry Christmas and thank you. :thanks: :xmasnut:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you change the water in your cup often?

Has your water quality changed?

I’ve used this method in the past with varying results as well.

Too many cuts in the same cup?

What are the details behind your method & madness?

Me I use a cup of tap water & change the water every third day or more often.

R

Rubber Chicken

That's generally about my same method :)

I'm going to just do a perlite and peat moss mixture comparison.

starke

I use a very simple wick cloner using two rubbermaid containers, tiki torch wicks and pure perlite. Put ph'd water in the bottom container and walk away. If you mix peat moss with the perlite watch out for it holding too much water. I tried some vermiculite initially and it was too wet. Pure perlite gives me a 98% success rate. I also tried water cloning. While my success rate was about 70%, it took an average of about three weeks for me to get roots. The wick cloner gives me roots in about 10 days.

ChenBenTz

I have a very simple method that gets 100% every time.

Take a clear container. Cover it with black & white material all around and tape it together.

Poke small holes in the top and make a large enough hole to allow an air stone in.

Take cuttings, immediately immerse in water, scrape off the ends and place in container.

Add regular tap water as high as you can, connect the air stone to an air pump and place a 20w CFL bulb about 4-6" away from the cuttings.

That's it. Then let it sit there and after 1-2 weeks they should all root.

Don't adjust the pH, don't let temps get too low and refill water if it drops below cutting level.

This works for me year round, regardless of humidity and temperature.

Hope this helps.

GANJA MONSTA

Trouble Planting Water Clones

Trouble Planting Water Clones

Ok so I have been trying to clone with just water for a little while now (approx. 2 months) and I have a very high success rate at getting roots going but when I plant them into soil the problems start. I'll go over my process of cloning (I'll try to keep it short) and then I will provide some pics below.

First I use a clean razor to take my cuttings then I cut a 45° angle right below the lowest node of each cutting, scrape off the outter layer of skin from the bottom inch of the stem, then I put them into 2 litre bottles that are pre-filled with tap water (the bottles full of tap water are always left out for 24+ hr's prior to me using them) I put the bottles above the CFL's I use for Veg. so the light isn't pointing directly at them, only the light that reflects upwards reaches the cuttings in their bottles. The Veg light is on 24/7 so of course the cuttings also get 24 hr's of light a day.

Once the roots are about 2" - 3" long I plant them into red solo cups filled with Roots Organics Original Potting Soil, then I very lightly water them in with plain tap water that has been left out for 24+ hr's. I use two clear 2 litre bottles to make a humi-dome. By cutting the top & bottom off of one and just the top off the other, I can put them together to make a dome tall enough for a solo cup with a clone to fit under it with plenty of extra space for it to grow. Before I put the domes over each clone I spray the inside of the domes with tap water that has also been left out for 24+ hr's.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and any help/info!!

Attachments

• 20180131_105332.jpg
    20180131_105332.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180131_103615.jpg
    20180131_103615.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180131_103638.jpg
    20180131_103638.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180131_103728.jpg
    20180131_103728.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180131_103748.jpg
    20180131_103748.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180131_105311.jpg
    20180131_105311.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180131_104013.jpg
    20180131_104013.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180131_104001.jpg
    20180131_104001.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180131_103759.jpg
    20180131_103759.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 11
  • this one.jpg
    this one.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 10

djimb

Veteran
When you put your clones in water, do you also put a dome on them? And when you put your rooted clones under their domes, do you have them on a heat mat? If not, what's your ambient temp?

These pics look a lot like my first failed attempts at cloning using a heat mat and a humidity dome. My temps were too high and I misted too heavily, and my clones turned to mush.

I've had near 100% success water cloning without a dome in a sunny windowsill with ambient temps at 78-82f. After rooting, I put the clones in soil with no dome, and after a short adjustment period they took off.

My opinion: I say try skipping the dome next time and mist the plants themselves if they start to wilt.

Last edited:

weedtoker

Veteran
Cloning with plain water works, and it's a nice low tech method, doesn't usually need dome even. The problem is that above or below a certain range of temperatures, plants either take too long to root, or get the slimezz. Perlite in a wick box with some kind of tray underneath and above 20-22ºC and solves a lot of problems as someone has sugested... I've done both for years, but the best year-round is still pure coco, or mostly coco mix with a bit of perlite and compost. In alternative you can use rockwool if ya ph and charge it with a bit of nutes, if ya like the "clean" approach..

cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts