What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cleaning up CO2 hash

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I have been getting some people asking how I am cleaning up my CO2 hash so here is how I do it.

First I start with a jar of water. I put in my dry ice hash. Here I am doing 10 grams.

It just floats on the top. Notice I left the water down a little so the hash would fit. After I have it in the water I cap the jar and give it a good shake. All the stuff should be wet after this.

Now I just let it settle for about a hour. And this is what you get.

After it settles open the jar and fill it to the top with water. This brings the floating material to the top. Once it is at the top you can scoop it off with a spoon. I use a eye dropper to flush the material clinging to the sides down into the water and collect that as well.

I do not throw out the stuff at the top. Instead I place this into a second jar.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So after I have it in the second jar I fill the second jar with water.

The first jar I decant the water off gently. I use a medicine dropper to do this. If you draw the water from around the outside of the jar you can collect the leaf stuck to the side of the jar. As the jar gets lower I will use some clean water to clean the sides of any material stuck to the jar. Be gentle doing this as you dont want to disturb the material at the bottom of the jar. I draw off water till I an about a half inch from the settled layer.

After I reach the half inch mark I fill the jar up with water again. I then cap the first jar and the second jar and shake them up and let them settle.

After the jars have settled I open them up and again fill them to the top with water. I again use a spoon to clean the floating material off the top. This time I discard it. There could be good stuff in it but it will be a good bit of works to get it so I dont bother.

After scrapping off as much as I can I wash the jar sides down. I decant both jars once more. Making sure to wash the sides as I go.

After topping the jars off again I shake them up and let them settle.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Now that the jars have settle and the solution is now fairly clear I am ready to collect the tricombs.

I start with a jar that has the band tightened slightly on my drying screen. To tight and you may rip the screen or it may swell up and be hard to get the band off. I push the screen down so I have a pocket like this.

The pocket allows me to pour the water off the top and filter threw the screen. I first pour as much water as I can off the top. If I see the layer at the bottom get disturbed I will either let it settle again or pour it threw the screen. I am not saving the water so if and thing is floating in it that will be thrown out. So I go gentle or I filter it.

I do this to both jars. When I get to the bottom I scrap the sediment out with my spoon and drop it into the pocket in the drying screen. At this time I will use my medicine dropper to wash the jar sides and the spoon off and into the drying screen.

After the water has filtered out of the screen I will fold the screen in half. The screen is then put between a folded over towel. By pushing on the towel I dry the hash. Just keep moving the screen to a new dry spot till you have most of the water out of the hash.

After I have done this I place the hash onto a piece of wax paper for a final drying. In the next picture you see my first jar on the left and the second jar on the right. As you can see there was about the same amount in the second jar as I got from the first jar.

I then can use this cleaned up hash to cook with. It gives a more accurate dosing amount when weighed as it is not full of a random amount of leaf. I also use this to make caramels with as it makes for a smother texture. Because the leaf material is not there to give a gritty feel when eating it. Not to mention you removed a bunch of bad tasting leaf.

Here is a link to the caramel tutorial.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348419

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Do you use standard bubble bags for your dry ice hash? 1 gallon? Single bag at what micron? I have made loads of this personally, as it was for many moons my preferred way to smoke from high quality flower material. I love water bubble hash, but it is messy and not the most efficient. Moved on to solvent based extraction, but I still have many varieties that I enjoy from time to time.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very cool cleaning method for dry ice hash into cleaner dry ice keif cleaned with water.... very cool and thanks for sharing

have you smoked this final stuff? what's it like? only for edibles?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Do you use standard bubble bags for your dry ice hash? 1 gallon? Single bag at what micron? I have made loads of this personally, as it was for many moons my preferred way to smoke from high quality flower material. I love water bubble hash, but it is messy and not the most efficient. Moved on to solvent based extraction, but I still have many varieties that I enjoy from time to time.

I use a full mesh 220 bag. I do it over a white table top that is 3 foot by 5 foot. On this I place a glass plate from a slider door. If you dont have a white table top just place white paper below the glass.

This is big enough that when I shake it I can keep moving across the table to see how the color is. I can stop when it looks to green this way.

Here is what it looks like after I have shaken over the glass.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah this is very much appreciated. I had been wondering about doing a gumby type method to clean up the tail ends of bubble runs.