What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organics for mites

The research I've seen recommends essential oils - not extracts; usually essential oils are made by crushing the plant material and squeezing the oils out of it, rather than any extraction process. Essential oils have a relatively higher terpenoid content - terpenoids are what make the oil smell, it also turns out that it's the terpenoid compounds that are deadly to mites.

Gotta try lavender, but rosemary works fantastically (kills adults, juveniles, and eggs) - laboratory tests indicate that Eucalyptus and peppermint are up to 30% more deadly to the little fuckers. That leads me to believe that tea tree (melaleuca) oil would be similarly effective (you can smell the similarity in the terpenoids between these oils - there's a certain minty-ness to them all).

Grad thesis on spider mite control with essential oils: http://www.miresmalli.com/resources/Thesis-final.pdf

Azamax, 100% organic, derived from vegetables, 100% sustainable source, no residue, which is the best part.
I really can't say enough about it, AZAMAX is the best thing I have ever used.

If you have mites and you want to get rid of them, buy azamax and you will see why it seems "pricey", because you would pay double for it.

Safe, non toxic, no odor, no residue...and the kicker: Effective.
Spend the $25, get the 4 oz bottle, and never look back.

Don't worry about overdoing it on the Azamax, it has minimal residue and won't build up to induce mold as long as air can move around the plant. You can safely apply azamax in 4 day intervals, this would be a double dose. A light application is a 14 day regimen, and a 7 day application rate is moderately aggressive and that's all the mfg will recommend, but you can safely apply in 4 day intervals, not much can stand up to AZA extract A & B, for extended periods....I know people will say resistance, resistance, resistance.
you need to do apply every 4 days, 4 times total...for a total 16 day treatment....if there is anything alive beside the plants, in that area....RUN!...it's going to tackle and kill you.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
what do you mean? i already posted how to make it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I meant make a thread and sticky it or something.

Honestly we need an organic pest control sticky that is obvious to people. Most don't look in the other thread for the link.

Albertine

Incredibowlboss, I can't seem to link to your thesis. Is there an application rate for essential oils you could give us? I got some Eucalyptus but was concerned about possible burning.

phattybudz

Don't even fuck around with all that organic shit. Mites bathe in neem and rub their balls with azamax and don't give a fuck.

Forbid 4F.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Wow...I've grown for 20 plus years and found neem to be most effective if used correctly on mites...Mites are the EASIEST pest to be rid of using neem oil....Simple,like pie. I won't bother to explain this as I and others have posted "how to" plenty of times.
Itching to try the Lavender......Got any mites I can borrow? Oh wait,I can find some in one of my friends gardens who uses chemicals.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Wow...I've grown for 20 plus years and found neem to be most effective if used correctly on mites...Mites are the EASIEST pest to be rid of using neem oil....Simple,like pie. I won't bother to explain this as I and others have posted "how to" plenty of times.
Itching to try the Lavender......Got any mites I can borrow? Oh wait,I can find some in one of my friends gardens who uses chemicals.
CC1

I don't get it either. I also don't get the whole Azamax/Azatrol deal either. Check out their respective MSDS filings with EPA and USDA and tell me if this isn't the very same bull-shit product made with some rather nasty chemicals in their extraction processes.

As a matter of fact these products are some of the few neem tree products NOT handled by Parker Group India which is the governing agency in India that controls the neem tree industry.

Pretty telling.

CC

NUG-JUG

CC- It's interesting that the azamax, azatrol crap is not regulated by india.

Mites are not hard to deal with. although neem is not an end-all nuclear option for mites. i think if you use it right they will all die though. make sure the way you apply the neem is thorough. i apply by gently lifting the leaf so that the bottom is guided by hand
(soaked in neem spray). I lose any spotting in new growth soon after. less neem more often is always better.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
CC1

I don't get it either. I also don't get the whole Azamax/Azatrol deal either. Check out their respective MSDS filings with EPA and USDA and tell me if this isn't the very same bull-shit product made with some rather nasty chemicals in their extraction processes.

As a matter of fact these products are some of the few neem tree products NOT handled by Parker Group India which is the governing agency in India that controls the neem tree industry.

Pretty telling.

CC

Do you trust OMRI?

If so, then you shouldn't have any concerns about Azamax or Azatrol.

If not, valid concerns.

Don't even fuck around with all that organic shit. Mites bathe in neem and rub their balls with azamax and don't give a fuck.

Forbid 4F.

Go troll another forum. You aren't welcome here.

Incredibowlboss, I can't seem to link to your thesis. Is there an application rate for essential oils you could give us? I got some Eucalyptus but was concerned about possible burning.

It's actually not my thesis - it's one I found - it gives LC/50s for different oils (the concentration at which the oil is lethal to 50% of the insects).

I screwed up the url - thanks for pointing that out (I had it linked wrong in my blog, too) the correct one is: http://www.miresmialli.com/resources/Thesis-final.pdf

Scrappy4

Veteran
I sprayed my clones and flowering (first week of 12/12) girls with pyrethrum, then two days later they got a neem oil spray. I bought some azamax. I will decide between now and tomorrow what spray to use next. I did see the omri seal on the azamax box, but Coot's post has me wondering. I have searched the net on info for azamax and found mostly good things.

I have not found any in my flowering box, but i grow in a scrog and have found it is real hard to get complete spray coverage once you have bugs so they will get some sort of spray control till they are three weeks in.

I did find some lavender growing in our yard. My wife was growing it, I had no idea. I am making a leaf tea for spraying, but i could find only one flower left on one plant, so the tea may not be all that effective. I will try to clone the outdoor lavender to grow some for it's flowers inside this fall/winter/spring.

Oh, on rosemary oil. My summer indoor crop had bugs, like most every grower around my parts, in this hot summer. I tried zero tolerance (a rosemary, cinnamon, thyme, clove oil concoction) I found it did help and smells great, but did not offer great mite control. Well into flower I used alcohol and water, tobacco spray, cold water. Everything worked but the continued spraying did take a toll even with non-toxic sprays, and I did get a 7 week, half weight harvest.

So from then on I got anal on spraying my clones with neem oil at regular intervals. But damn, you let up for a minute and the little bastards keep coming. I guess this is a war not a battle.......scrappy

Ribsauce

wow jaykush, CC (as always), Incredibowl thanks so much for the info on the essential oils...i grow french and English lavender and have been battling mites indoor and out all summer with neem...im on the winning side now it seems but this new recipe could be my "nuclear bomb" and end my mite problem for good...threads like this are why i love IC

Edit: i just went outside and picked a bunch of flowers off both my plants and man it made my whole house smell...much better than neem let me tell ya haha...cant wait to give this stuff a try in a couple days

Ribsauce

I sprayed my plants last night (they were mostly clear of mites from having being bathed in neem several times before) with my lavender tea and it worked great...the concentrated oils i got smell wonderful and it looks pretty oily and viscous...i then followed Jay Kush's recipe and diluted 10mL of oil into 500ml of RO water...once the solution was diluted it lacked any real smell (which is much better than the pungent ass smell of neem oil) and just seemed like normal water...i wasn't sure if i had diluted it too much but used it anyway and was very surprised to see the efficacy of this stuff...i noticed that not only did it kill the mites but it also still worked as a leaf sheen much like neem oil leaving my plants looking a very healthy dark green...i bet in ten years you'll be able to buy premixed solutions of lavender and rosemary sprays at your local hydro store for 30 bucks a pop haha...THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR POSTING THIS HELPFUL INFO

Scrappy4

Veteran
Good post Rib, info I can use. We started some indoor lavender just for tea.

I ended up using a low dose of AzaMax on mine. Not much smell to to it, and the plants look nice and shiney with no ill effects. I made a lavender leaf tea, (we had no flowers left) but since I sprayed with aza, I added molasses to the lavender tea to make a fermented plant cocktail thing-a-ma-jimmy.

One more question guys/gals, my city water has been running at a ph of 7 lately, and you sometime see where bug sprays are supposed to be mixed with a water ph'd in the 6 range. Should I lower my water's ph for foliar sprayings in tea spraying as well?

scrappy

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
yeah Ribsauce :) That's what i needed to hear. Great real world feedback. Any idea how much a 1/4 cup of flowers weighs? I'm picking up 1/2 lb of organic lavender flowers, but i don't know what volume that is. Congrats on getting to the little buggers. ;)

Scrappy doing the same thing. :) Just found a packet of lavender seeds. Should be viable. On the pH question. Not sure.

Ribsauce

Good post Rib, info I can use. We started some indoor lavender just for tea.

I ended up using a low dose of AzaMax on mine. Not much smell to to it, and the plants look nice and shiney with no ill effects. I made a lavender leaf tea, (we had no flowers left) but since I sprayed with aza, I added molasses to the lavender tea to make a fermented plant cocktail thing-a-ma-jimmy.

One more question guys/gals, my city water has been running at a ph of 7 lately, and you sometime see where bug sprays are supposed to be mixed with a water ph'd in the 6 range. Should I lower my water's ph for foliar sprayings in tea spraying as well?

scrappy

Im really not sure myself about the pH... i just used RO cause i wasnt sure haha... i also was gonna ask if it would be beneficial at all to mix the oil with warm water and to use a wetting agent much like neem oil or if thats not needed

3rdeye- i didnt weigh mine but im pretty sure it woulda been like five grams that made up my 1/4 cup haha... you prolly have enough to make this whenever you want