What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Dehydrate Butane?

I'm running a passive system how would I go about dehydrating my butane, and what is the ratio of butane-molecular sieve?

From what I understand dehydration is done through the gas phase, so could I just run my system in reverse? What I mean is to start with the butane in the collection chamber (base), then recover up through the material column that is filled with molecular sieve.

I'm guessing it wont work if I mix the liquid butane and molecular sieve in the same chamber then just recover from there?

I'm also wondering if unused butane can accumulate moisture over time (about a year) being stored outside, I have two new butane tanks, and one LP tank with distilled butane that hasn't been used, are they still good to go?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm running a passive system how would I go about dehydrating my butane, and what is the ratio of butane-molecular sieve?

From what I understand dehydration is done through the gas phase, so could I just run my system in reverse? What I mean is to start with the butane in the collection chamber (base), then recover up through the material column that is filled with molecular sieve.

I'm guessing it wont work if I mix the liquid butane and molecular sieve in the same chamber then just recover from there?

I'm also wondering if unused butane can accumulate moisture over time (about a year) being stored outside, I have two new butane tanks, and one LP tank with distilled butane that hasn't been used, are they still good to go?

Mol sieve works but is messy and dusty, so recommend zeolite refrigerant filter drier inserts in a stainless housing.

If you place either in the line from the collection tank and the recovery tank, it should dry the LPG.

Thanks for the quick reply, could you give me an example of the zeolite drier inserts, I can't seem to find what that is, and when you say in a stainless steel housing do you mean something I put together with tri-clamps part and tubing, or are you saying that is a whole product on its own?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the quick reply, could you give me an example of the zeolite drier inserts, I can't seem to find what that is, and when you say in a stainless steel housing do you mean something I put together with tri-clamps part and tubing, or are you saying that is a whole product on its own?

Here is a link to one off the shelf, but not stainless. We used the insert and the filter elements, but made our own case out of a 6" X 12" Sanitary spool.

http://sporlanonline.com/literature/40/SD-214.pdf

Here is a link to one off the shelf, but not stainless. We used the insert and the filter elements, but made our own case out of a 6" X 12" Sanitary spool.

https://sporlanonline.com/literature/40/SD-214.pdf

Thanks again for all the help appreciate it.

May I ask why you have in a 6" spool from what I know the filter inserts is 3.74" in diameter, and when you say filter elements do you mean the parts that hold the filter inserts together, if so would you say it is required?

I assume I can using this for recovery during a live run, or is this only for dehydrating before a run?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks again for all the help appreciate it.

May I ask why you have in a 6" spool from what I know the filter inserts is 3.74" in diameter, and when you say filter elements do you mean the parts that hold the filter inserts together, if so would you say it is required?

I assume I can using this for recovery during a live run, or is this only for dehydrating before a run?

I created a cyclonic design, where the inlet is on the tangent of the wrapper, so that any liquid is thrown against the inside wall of the wrapper, rather than impinging directly on the insert itself.

Numerous feed backs from users saying that was a good thing and saved their bacon at least once.

When I say filter elements, I mean the guts including the assembly holding the filter elements and the filter elements themselves.

Here is a picture of one on a Mk IVB. Sorry I can't share the design details, but the IP was purchased by others when Pharmgold closed.

It fits between the pump and the collection tank, where it is used anytime the pump is running.

Attachments

• Cyclone filter drier-1-1.jpg
    Cyclone filter drier-1-1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 18

HWY36

I created a cyclonic design, where the inlet is on the tangent of the wrapper, so that any liquid is thrown against the inside wall of the wrapper, rather than impinging directly on the insert itself.

Numerous feed backs from users saying that was a good thing and saved their bacon at least once.

When I say filter elements, I mean the guts including the assembly holding the filter elements and the filter elements themselves.

Here is a picture of one on a Mk IVB. Sorry I can't share the design details, but the IP was purchased by others when Pharmgold closed.

It fits between the pump and the collection tank, where it is used anytime the pump is running.

Do the people that bought the IP sell this or something similar?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure what their plan is, other than we are in litigation.

Latest posts

Latest posts