What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Peak Seeds Sweet Skunk? Any Good?

nksv

Yodalay

Seeking out smoke reports/ info etc on Peak Seeds Sweet Skunk.

Looks juicy. I am a fan of sativas, ACE strains etc, wondering how the SS compares. Can't seem to find much info on it. Thanks!

bigbadbiddy

I couldn't find much info on it either.

Still got 12 or so of them.
What I can say is that the beans are big and fat, nice brown tiger stripes etc.

Not like the small sativa seeds one would expect.

I liked the description and the sales pitch Mike gave me when I contemplated ordering them.

But i have them in the freezer for later, doubt I can give any more info any time soon.

nksv

I liked the description and the sales pitch Mike gave me when I contemplated ordering them.

ha! That's why I was so close to getting them. Mike said that's all he smoked. I've got some northern berry going. Impressed so far with the quality of the beans. I've read mostly positive things from Peak just not much regarding the SS.

Thanks anyway :tiphat:

bigbadbiddy

I agreed to give him some info on the Sativas I will grow, he was very interested in Sativas overall.

I got the impression that he was quite Indica heavy in his grows up to a year or so ago with the NL, Skunk, Blueberry etc. everything was very Indica heavy or pure Indica.
The Sweet Skunk is the only line in his stable advertised as "pure" Sativa and from what I could gather most if not all the experience he had in Sativa growing.

He did use the Sweet Skunk in crosses as well and is breeding with it. He is defnitely familiar with the strain and knows much about it.

But obviously it would be nice hearing from other sources, especially considering that his Sweet Skunk does not seem to have much in common with other Sweet Skunks out there (like Spice of Life etc.) as those are definitely not "pure" or "mostly" Sativa variants but often heavily Indica leaning hybrids.

I dunno, in the end I took them because I had more than enough C99 and Blueberry seeds and the SS interested me the most out of his remaining stable (Skunk and NL I had from Mr. Nice already).

Have hopes/plans of crossing it with Spice from Mr. Nice in the future and maybe incorporate it otherwise. But as of now I have too many seeds and breeders and strains to go through before I get to the Sweet Skunk. Hope I don't end up being angry because I held off running those seeds for so long ;)

Let's see how the 2 C99s develop (week 4 of flower now) and how the Blueberry will stack up (just germed 5).
If Mike's gear blows other stuff out of the water, I might move the Sweet Skunk up on my list.
But even though the 2 C99s do look very nice, the Mr. Nice Critical Mass is currently stealing the show.
I have the 5 BB next run from Peak, comparing them to gear from Ace, Karma and again Mr. Nice along with some freebies from shittier breeders.
After that run I will know how I go about the Peakseeds gear. If I will prioritize it or other breeders first etc.

Maybe we hear from someone else until then.

Croissant

I remember reading reports of his sweet skunk and blue skunk and seen photos. It looks incredible the calyxs are huge and heavily crystaled. You should be able to find reports of on at least his cross to skunk x Bb here on icmag.

@bignadbiddy

Make sure you hunt down phenos. Sometimesmit might take several packs. Everyone wants to advertise how they popped 2 seeds and found the god pheno, but Tom hill keeps it real 1/20 to find those keepers. So if your spreading it 5 of this 5 of that then maybe that 1/20 only comes from 1 of those strains.

nksv

Appreciate the response bigbadbiddy - yeah, I am kind of wanting a nice sativa (dom at least) that I can be a little lazy with/ and that's a bit quicker whilst running some of the longer exotic Ace strains. But not sure whether I should just stick to Ace for the sativas and not get too overloaded with other strains. But i' be interested to see how they compare.

'The SS is 'pure' sativa? Do you know what the background is behind the SS? He definately seems into what he's doing which is cool, I like to support that.

Thanks again.

budsicles

Ran it a few years ago.
Low odor...Sativa high.
Good structure...much similarity between different phenos.
It was good enough to make f2's for the apocalypse.
Just make sure you let it fully ripen.

bigbadbiddy

@croissant

Agree with you mate.

At the moment I am popping 5 per strain of 6 strains simultaneously (actually next round I include 4 freebies at 2 per strain).

This is not my pheno hunting effort though, I just want to get acquainted with a few different strains before i decide what I spend most of my time on.

So the first two rounds I do like this. Likely by round 3 I will switch to pheno hunting and run mono cultures.
I plan to pop 30 seeds at a time for my pheno hunts and isolate at least 1 kepper female AND 1 keeper male.
Make F2s for safekeeping in the next round of said selected keepers and move on to the next strain.

When I selected keepers of the ~6 strains that interest me the most, I will start experimenting with crosses.

Sorry to derail the thread but nice to hear of someone who grew out the Sweet Skunk.

Bit more info on the effects (smoke report) would be lovely, I second that.

I am also not 100% on the makeup of the SS... Just know Mike advertises it as pure Sativa.
Or better, in his words, he "considers it" 100% Sativa.
Same as he considers his Blueberry line 100% Indica.

I wanted to know the chances of finding a Sativa leaning pheno in the Blueberries and he said he hasn't seen one in years and considers it 100% Indica.

So I believe it is fair to say that Mike bottlenecked these strains according to his desires (which I don't mean in a negative way).

That would also explain why it often comes recommended because it is likely you will find phenos just as described in small numbers of seeds.
Well worked lines he has there.

Although he did recommend me to pop about 30 BB seeds to find a pheno that purples, has the flavor and odor of Blueberry and packs a punch. Have 5 germing right now to get acquainted with the strain.
We shall see :D

nksv

yeah, i'd be keen on hearing more on his BB when you're ready. I hear great things about the northern berry which I just flipped today - along with some bodhi (jabbas stash, space monkey, more cowbell) I don't have much space for extensive pheno hunting so I have to leave it up to the gods!

bigbadbiddy

There is an extensive grow report on his Blueberry here on IC.

Was a very experienced and reputable grower, too. I can't seem to find it...
His name started with E if I am not mistaken, had a blue avatar...
His purple Blueberry pheno pic is also what they use to advertise the strain over at their website.

Anyway, here are a few links I stumbled across while searching.

Sweet Skunk:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=271219

Blueberry:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=261715

Hush's peakseeds growout (with both BB and SS):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=285890

/Edit:
Ha, just finally found the grower I was referring to at the start.
His name is etinarcadiaego.
You can look in his profile through his albums, he grew quite a few of peak's strains.
As I said before, his keeper blueberry picture is what Peakseeds uses to advertise their Blueberry on their website.
Really awesome looking plant. Was a big convincing factor in getting those seeds.

He posted in the thread I linked above under "Blueberry", the one started by browntrout.
Here is a link to his first post in the thread directly (if I didn't miss any previous ones):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6310845#post6310845

nksv

great read that BB thread. is there anything that meets that 'classic' BB sativa? I hate reading about it as just sounds so awesome but inaccessible. haha. I have a great zamaldelica which gives that epic euphoria.

bigbadbiddy

Blueberry Sat seems very hard to find indeed.
Was looking for it as well, was recommended Blue Satellite from Spice of Life even though those beans were already veeery old more than a year ago.

Ended up not getting anyting in that direction.

JD Short (DJ Short's son) seems to be reworking DJ's old lines though and Blueberry Sat came up in that.
There is a thread on it in the Breeding section.

jump /injack

Veteran
Bigbadbiddy got most of the growers of SS that were posted. I've grown Peaks SS out a few times and will again soon. At first I didn't care for it much, it left a little bite in the back of my throat which I didn't like but found that the SS liked a little longer curing time then it was fine. Used Jack's fertilizers throughout the grow, coco and airpots, flower these plants as directed by Peaks, 2 weeks then flower, don't let them go or they will get very big. Very hard hitting, lots of very good comments about this plant from my friends. Peak's Northern/Skunk is of the same type but doesn't have the hallucinogenic properties of the SS.

need4weed

Veteran
I grew out iss from next gen seeds and didn't like the plant. Took two of us a full day to trim about 8oz. I also have peaks ss and BB but yet to grow it out in fear that his ss is the same as iss.......He did however say in a conversation that ss was his favourite smoke and he doesn't say that lightly

nksv

"hallucinogenic properties of the SS."

back up there! haha. Trippy high in the SS? Can you elaborate please?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Yeah, the trippy thing is quite intriguing about SS. Maybe the blueberry has that too? I have his NL and BB x NL, but would throw down a few more bucks for trippy if I could get it.

From the NL I know this guy is a legit breeder so might branch out to his sativa stuff.

nksv

yeah, i have a good feeling about it. Got Northern Berry seedlings running next to my Zamaldelicas. He's legit I reckon but just wanting to know just how good the SS is for others. I am pretty spoiled with the ACE sativas but wouldn't mind giving SS a go. I actually grew out a DP Euforia a little while back as a play around. I knew it would hermie etc..and it did but damn the smoke was really trippy. I was pretty shocked at how good it was.

Yessum cool to have a comrade in search of the trip weed! haha. We can compare notes!

hillbil

I have run SS many times over 6 years and and made seeds of this IBL. Mine are all similar to each other and are Indica in shape with long Skunk buds that never get real dense. Very nice for day use.

I crossed it with my own peak nl and that combo is awesome. I also crossed it with a Sleeskunk of which I have 4 seeds left, very strong and loud, like fresh sliced grapefruit.

Have grown NL, SS, NS, KN, BB, NB AND C99 and if you want intense Sativa ask him about c99 or c99xSS. The c99 is not as gentle as the skunk!