What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

commercial guerilla growing for a living..?

Trippy Stix

so I've been going over this in my head lately and realize how much more of a happier person growing has made me, and changed me for the better.. I recently finished trimming my first outdoor guerilla and pulled 2.08 lbs.. I understand the intensive labor needed to succeed and also realize the work needed for large scale spots with the first guerilla under my belt. I'm currently going to college for Business...... grades just dropped horrendously due to harvest just being finished and over with and have no real idea why I chose that major. I don't know what I would do if I graduate with business degree and just from pulling 6 outdoor plants I calculated I have a 10,000$ value in buds. I have read almost every page of Julian's massive outdoor thread and am seriously thinking about it. am I going crazy or does it seem do-able to do a large-scale in-and-out operation of 200 plants (for starters) and hope to pull 4oz from each which would put me at around 50lbs, my area ps go for 4000$-4500$, easily putting me at a 200,000$ value for one season. advice please?

Trippy Stix

don't really have much of a family anymore due to losing most, all I really have is a gf that helped me through this season to pay for school.. I just don't want to end up in the federal pen for some large grow, I would keep it to 10-15 spots of 15 plants

Trippy Stix

and I know just talking about it is nothing, haven't mentioned the life I would be living after it's all said and done... finding somewhere to store 50 lbs and not even to mention actually distributing it, I have no real clients that get more than acouple ozs maybe a qp here or there and would be stepping into a whole new ballpark being the one selling multiple ps

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
and I know just talking about it is nothing, haven't mentioned the life I would be living after it's all said and done... finding somewhere to store 50 lbs and not even to mention actually distributing it, I have no real clients that get more than acouple ozs maybe a qp here or there and would be stepping into a whole new ballpark being the one selling multiple ps

cold calling...better answer it.:ying:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
How about just relocating to one of the growing number of states where commercial weed grows are legal and taxed ?

Sure you'd make less profit than you would trying to pull off a large grow someplace where growing is still outlawed, but at least you wouldn't have the stress of evading detection, and the worry of getting ratted on by the sort of people you'd wind up dealing with trying to wholesale weed where it is very much against the law.

I live where penalties are serious for posession of weed even in small amounts, so, to avoid the risks of buying seeded dirt-weed from dodgy characters, I grow small amounts of seedless bud solely for my personal use.

I never sell to anyone, nor let slip to anyone who personally knows me that I ever grew before. Also, my weed is not only grown in the swamp forest, but dried there, stored there, and yes, smoked there, such that the only THC I ever carry about on me is what is in my bloodstream.

Needless to say it would never cross my mind to attempt a commercial grow anywhere that such an endeavor could deprive me of my treasured freedom, but I admire your chutspah if your mind is set on rolling that dice, and I wish you the best of luck.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
have no real idea why I chose that major. I don't know what I would do if I graduate with business degree

unless you hate college with a passion please please please do not think about dropping out to pursue some price plummeting, fucking bullshit growing career that any idiot can do.

SS-

How would you honestly rate your quality against what you and your associates can get locally. If it's better trust me. The word spreads once you have the quality and quantity on hand. First being the more important. If you have AAAA quality bud, you will never be able to keep up with your demand eventually, and always will be trying to find more ways to produce more next season.

Now I can't give advice on guerilla growing. Down here that shit wouldn't fly. It's a cakewalk though to setup multiple indoor setup's down here. just noone cares honestly if you pick the right neighborhoods

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
doesnt sound like a solid plan. guerilla growing is risky at best, you would be sacrificing lots of stuff to potentially get nothing at the end. if you are serious about growing as a career i would recomend picking up property yourself or renting a place to just grow open sun like most folks.

growing 2lb guerilla is way easier than trying to crop 50. but you can easily crop 50 in a backyard of open sun giants in 200 gal pots check any of the OD threads in the forum.

also not having any wholesale contacts is a big red flag.....its almost pointless to get in the game unless you know people who can take that kind of weight. i know guys who got in this way and every time they harvest they are desperate to unload and they annoy me trying to help them...it gets really tired when someone you specifically advised against growing tried anyways and then you have to bail them out every harvest because their yield and quality sucks. most new growers simply do not have the skills to cultivate quality herb, they grow subpar shit then have to send it out of state to barely get profit above breaking even..

and last thing never plan a growop just based on "i can harvest 50lb" ive found it rarely works out the way you want it. set a number of plants a lowball estimate (because some shit always comes along and will reduce your harvest) and be happy with that.

whatever you do good luck....i would pursue college more man. wish i focused more in school and learned something i could use. honestly the MJ market is a few years away from bottoming out (at least in med states).....its a dying industry that people are trying to squeeze every last drop out of before the big corporate factions come in and hijack everything for the millionaires.

Easy7

Veteran
I'd be worried about security. It takes one person with any small detail of what your doing, to rat you out. There are many loopholes growing for a living. It only takes one time getting caught and it's worthless. If your doing it every year, sooner or later something will give.

Get a good job, if you happen to find some spare change from a hobby then that's that. 200 plants attracts federal interest. They will want someone in prison if that occurs.

Trippy Stix

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, any idiot cannot accomplish a plan like that.. takes a number of skills as well as mindset and determination to get a job done like that. any idiot can grow a couple low quality plants in the woods. also I feel I wasn't as specific referring to clientele...It wouldn't be too hard you are right good product sells itself, also I know about 5 or 6 good friends that have been known to get 1p maybe 2p on hand, if not their guy can be introduced to me.. I really don't know. I've just been saying to myself while doing school work what the hell am I doing? why am I going to school for something that I have no idea how it will help me after I graduate (besides from looking better than other applicants for a job...) I wouldn't move to a med-state because their market is just flooded in most..

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
I really don't know. I've just been saying to myself while doing school work what the hell am I doing? why am I going to school for something that I have no idea how it will help me after I graduate

your going to stay in college, if you had good grades and your girlfriend is paying for you to go there then droppoing out will not happen, it is a privilege.

making a living from guerilla growing in america is not going to be easy unless your trailer trash, go read these two threads, 1 2, notice those prices dives? , what state are you in, how long until your hit with out of state bud or other folks growing?

Say you do drop out, do commerical growing wtf happens when AAA ounces are under $100 how many years do you think you have untill then?

compromise = stay in college, use the money from this years outdoor to rent a place and do an indoor grow.

Trippy Stix

I didn't say my girlfriend was paying for college, I said she helped me out with this years grow..driving..ect to pay for tuition.. but since marijuana laws are gradually getting better shouldn't we make as much as we can before it does go all legal? just saying. i'd rather have a nice 250k buried in ammo boxes somewhere while I can get it. apologize if I sound nieve about this, but I really can see how it could happen..... this season x2000% the work? I think it could be done....

oldhaole

Veteran
Dude....I was you thirty plus years ago.

You can do both. If you keep your priorities straight.

Get your schooling done. That...even if you never use it...but you will...at least gives you something to fall back on. Next year, find corners to cut....you already have one spot you know paid off. Replant that. If you have the time, find another. But school comes first.

Then, after you graduate, go crazy, see if you have what it takes.

Cream rises to the top. Great weed will always be in demand....even in a flooded market. None of us know what will happen down the road....Will it ever be legal? What the market will look like ...then. Don't worry about it.

You pulled two lbs. dude...good for you. Great job. Seriously.

But it ain't always like that. In your calculations...there are some abstract numbers your not seeing....Yet.

That's not real life. Your young and a tad bit nieve.

I kinda envy you.

What ever path you choose. Good luck.

Hash Man

Its more work than you think. Also, 50 lbs is really not that much and $200,000 is easily spent. I remember thinking just like you are thinking now, 10 years ago. The numbers dont add up as easily as you are thinking.Investment, trimming costs, time, and risk all add up. You may feel like a happier person while growing as a hobby... you will find out if this is the truth when it is your job. If you really can get 4k per and can move them fast you will be fine, but thats only if you can pull it off. Lots of times, people spread themselves too thin to be successful.... Try as much as you can handle without becoming so busy that you have to take shortcuts to do things right. Or just get to a med state and kick back at one location while using your contacts to get the premium price.

I quit school and moved to where I am right now... and while I am happy where I am at, i wish i would have finished grad school, especially with how much it costs now as compared to a decade ago. If you are almost done, finish up and save a little more cash before you prematurly change your life and possibly miss out on possibilities that come from a degree. I really wish i would have stayed in school because if my situation ever goes south, I dont have many options. Good luck.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey go ahead and give it a shot. check out aeroguerillas thread, he put in a ton of work and at the end of the season choppers came in and got his shit. they dont need warrants or anything if you are guerilla growing. might be easier to pull off on private property....

also you do sound naive, you cant bury money in ammo boxes....you need to triple seal that shit or you will have a soggy mess of useless garbage.

also your already thinkin about the end game before even realizing what ballpark you are stepping up into. this is a constant variable i see in growers that often fail...the whole "i can make 250K in one year...YEAH!"....

you could also waste your entire year having spots jacked, or most likely rotted out with mold, etc. 2 lbs is easy as hell to take care of, only takes a couple hours to yank that out of the field. 50 lbs will require you to be onsite much longer periods of time increasing your risk.

not saying trying to grow for a living is bad...we all do. but guerilla growing is not something i would rely on for steady cash, sounds stressful as hell. rent a cheap property out in the sticks and set up a small greenhouse or do some hedged rows and try to make it look like legit crops you will have a way easier time cropping 50 that way. if your in nonmed state check your local laws and see what the number brackets are...for example if your state says 1-50 plants is 5 years whereas 50-200 plants is 10 years than keep it under 50. keep your game plan tight and your alert up and please dont become another victim of the drug war, many others before you thought they could do the exact same thing and are sitting in prison now because of it. you are at higher risk of being a statistic because of your lack of experiance in the game....stay safe out there and good luck.

C

Conformist

If i were you, i would give it a shot while staying in school.
If you can pull this off and end up with 100k-200k, as long you don't have dreams of having a 500k house in the suburbs, 2 kids and a wife you'd be set for life.

Having a small house built for you is dirt cheap.
You could easily have a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, a kitchen and a living room house with 30k. Plus an extra 10k for the land.
Then you could install solar panels, retire and use the money you have left to live a modest life.

Or you could keep working and do whatever the hell you want because you'd still have a lot of money to spend monthly even if you worked for minimum wage.
All you would have to pay for is food, clothing and other essential stuff such as soap.