What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor [HELP] California

ILoveGod

Ok so i been growing in houston tx but this place really sucks, i have stopped growing here and want to move to california to grow outdoor.

What would be the best area to grow in? How much would it cost me?

Thank you guys in advance

jackel

If you are planning to move to Cali and get rich growing herb, it won't really work. There is 10000s of people from here growing just to pay their bills and keep their house.

BrownThumb

People grow in the darndest places here in CA, so really people make it happen wherever they happen to be. Now if your question is where do most of the bigger time players do it, that's the usual answer of the emerald triangle; Humboldt, Lake & Mendocino counties, i.e., the northern half of the state, very roughly. Property is cheaper there than in more populated areas, but CA is way overpriced to begin with, so it's all relative. Hey, I hear TX is the shite... I guess that's not true?

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok so i been growing in houston tx but this place really sucks, i have stopped growing here and want to move to california to grow outdoor.

What would be the best area to grow in? How much would it cost me?

Thank you guys in advance

DUDE....1st DO A SEARCH ON IC MAG this subject has been heavily talked about..you will find EVERY answer to any question on moving to Cali..yeah c'mon over I have a friend who needs almost brand new used grow equipment from ANOTHER (of dozens) of out of state peeps who think just move to Cali and grow weed = happines.

Good luck your SOOOOO going to need it!

Here is what I wrote 2 days ago...(cut n pasted) too tired to re-type it all

=========================================================================================================

Yeah come to Cali....let's see how much we have going for us;

1) Largest single budget DEFICIT of ANY state in the US (and MANY countries)

2) Unemployment still at 9.8% (and MUCH higher in cheaper area's to live) NO JOBS GOT IT!!!!???!!!

3) One of the HIGHEST income and tax rate in the US

4) Market FLOODED with cheap, mid-grade outdoor (right now) and indoor, Oh did I mention you BETTER damn well have your marketing down PAT bish or your going to be waiting on a 90 day consignment at the dispensary and that's AFTER he/she beats you up like a red-headed step child on your Triple AAA Fire indoor/outdoor prices.

5) Some of the HIGHEST PG&E rates in the US (SO you want to be a big indoor grower I run 3200 watts and my MONTHLY power bill is right around $950+) You can buy a house in Michigan for less than that

6) I think other's mentioned the incredible amount's of "cartel" gang outdoor AND indoor grows from the likes of; Mexican cartels, Asian Gangs, Gangs in general looking for fast money, oh and their boo is always with the "patient" in mind ( I'm being totally sarcastic here, they use all the nasty grow nutrients PGR WHATEVER to get it out the door and into cash)

7)Why don't you just go onto Craigslist and SEE what it COST's to rent a decent 2 or 3 bedroom house (hell even a STUDIO apartment) here in Cali.....I bet you will go "WTF???

8) Do I even NEED to mention what we pay for gas here? I went north yesterday to pick up 3 packs, paid $3.78 PER gallon and that's AFTER gas has fallen over the last month and a half.

Edit: Note...living cost's for everything here are much higher, food, clothing, DOG / CAT food...you name it, it will cost a lot more here, just something to think about. By the way I just watched a news piece on the price of Milk here in California, their talking $8.00 per gallon of milk in the next 2 years...$8.00 BUCKS per GALLON!

9)Yes PLEASE come to California, then I will buy YOUR slightly used hydro equipment after you cannot get a break even price for your medication, run out of money, cannot find a job and move back in with mom or dad. I have been doing this for 3 years , talked to MANY growers who just gave up, and then I use the equipment to build out my next grow...lol I love hydro equipment at 1/3 what it cost's new!

Honestly folks California is VERY hard to make a living in, I've listed where you should try and start a legal MMJ business(and you better DAMN well treat it as a business if you want to make it). I would suggest the following states in order of best to worst;

1) Michigan
2) Washington
3) Colorado
the rest....

and at the end .....California

Good luck and I know some of you will still come, their is one IC member who is riding a bicycle with a little trailer for his dog in the MIDDLE of winter to come out here...LOL..gotta love determination..that will help him once he get's out here.

Last edited:
I

ItsTopShelf

ya everyone had that dream... lol people sold that dream .. haha. and it doesnt work . ur better off going somewere wer its hard to get buds.. and grow there.. atleast then u can make some good money.

ILoveGod

If i can grow 99plants legally outdoor ill be very happy.
I know that the market over there sucks but i dont have clients there anyways. I would not move to cali for indoor

So if i do 99 legally outdoor produce 1 per 1, ill be perfectly happy because its LEGAL! i dont have to hide

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you KNOW how many "legal" outdoor grows have been raided by the Feds in California this year alone? They just raided a "legal" dispensary grow in Watsonville just south of me last week.

FYI it's STILL illegal to grow, smoke or have weed on your property by Federal Law which supercedes state law.

Where are you going to throw down that 99 plant grow? Do you already have a lease on some property? I am RIGHT NOW talking to a guy who wants $7K UPFRONT to put only 44 plants on his property (he will run his own grow with the rest of his 99 plant script)....BUT you gotta throw down $7K UPFRONT to get access to his property...do you have $7K cash ready to go?

How about buying property, sure 3 - 10 acres sites are available with varying degrees of cost, in MY area a unimproved 1 acre site can go for around $600K yes $600,000 no power, no septic, NO WATER...just a acre of land....now go to the 503 area code, you can get lot's that will work for $25K (sometimes less if their really crappy and on the side of a hill)....ok it's possible to come out here but I wouldn't unless I had the following;

1) researched and found a place to grow BEFORE coming out, get a signed lease, or buy some property
2) Money for 6-8 months till your crop comes in, CURING and TRIMMING season is done (oh did I mention trimming cost's you need CASH if you hire trimmers and NO WAY your going to trim 99 (even) 2 pounders by yourself before they turn to powder mildew mush or worse.
3) Car ...truck is better...do you have one that is reliable?

OK.... I'll stop beating on this dead horse I promise I won't post here again.....I just watched 4 months ago a real nice guy and his girlfriend move BACK to Kansas to live with HER mom in their basement because their "dream" of Cali growing was more than they were prepared for, hell I gave then $200 buck to help with gas and food on the way back. I'm just tired of seeing people come out her unprepared and then just go down the drain because it is SO expensive to make it all happen here...

(Steps off the soap box)

Sorry man come out here if you want..it's YOUR life......I honestly hope you come out here and KILL IT!

Good luck!

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

While I'm perfectly happy to share the information, I think you should pay some attention to what megayields is telling you about the current status of MMJ in this state. It's not just the feds who are going after legal growers, either, the state (on a county level) is, too. In fact, I have an acquaintance, a hospice nurse with a Master's in her area of expertise, who's being prosecuted right now in Tuolomne County, a foothill county south of me.

I guarantee you that if you're not careful, trying to grow out 99 plants will garner you some unpleasant attention.

Also, you should know that Pacific Gas & Electric is screaming up a shit-storm right now because of all the solar growth in California, and their plan is to put their profits onto the backs of consumers, any way they can. The CPUC and state legislation will certainly help them out with that, too. SoCal Edison is in on this, as is San Diego Gas & Electric. What does that mean? That the power rates in a state that experiences some of the highest rates in the (continental) nation will be experiencing even higher rates, which are going up around 5%-7% per annum in any event.

Why should you know this if you're planning on growing outdoors? Because, if you're like any other OD grower I know, you're going to want to get a head start on the season, and that begins around January, IF you're using clones only. It's pretty much as soon as the OD season ends if you're starting with seeds that you plan to clone.

As for property values, they vary WIDELY. We've got a property across the street, 1.1 acres of relatively flat, hilltop land that are fully developed with 4br's & 2ba, septic & well, that's still up for sale. I should look up the current asking price, last time I looked it was <$240,000. Another foreclosure behind us just sold for under $200,000, and it has a bigger lot. Depending on the altitude you're willing to live with, which affects pretty much every other aspect of life, you can get tens of acres for the same price or less, depending on whether it's been developed, has septic & well, etc. You're necessarily going to be stuck using electricity, propane or wood for winter heating.

Beyond all that, you're going to have to do your diligence with regard to county. Some counties have banned ALL outdoor cultivation, completely and entirely. Others, like mine, regulate it very, very closely using whatever means they can. Locally it's a zoning ordinance, so no arrests would be likely for violation. But up in Nevada County? They're using the law and making arrests.

ILoveGod

While I'm perfectly happy to share the information, I think you should pay some attention to what megayields is telling you about the current status of MMJ in this state. It's not just the feds who are going after legal growers, either, the state (on a county level) is, too. In fact, I have an acquaintance, a hospice nurse with a Master's in her area of expertise, who's being prosecuted right now in Tuolomne County, a foothill county south of me.

I guarantee you that if you're not careful, trying to grow out 99 plants will garner you some unpleasant attention.

Also, you should know that Pacific Gas & Electric is screaming up a shit-storm right now because of all the solar growth in California, and their plan is to put their profits onto the backs of consumers, any way they can. The CPUC and state legislation will certainly help them out with that, too. SoCal Edison is in on this, as is San Diego Gas & Electric. What does that mean? That the power rates in a state that experiences some of the highest rates in the (continental) nation will be experiencing even higher rates, which are going up around 5%-7% per annum in any event.

Why should you know this if you're planning on growing outdoors? Because, if you're like any other OD grower I know, you're going to want to get a head start on the season, and that begins around January, IF you're using clones only. It's pretty much as soon as the OD season ends if you're starting with seeds that you plan to clone.

As for property values, they vary WIDELY. We've got a property across the street, 1.1 acres of relatively flat, hilltop land that are fully developed with 4br's & 2ba, septic & well, that's still up for sale. I should look up the current asking price, last time I looked it was <$240,000. Another foreclosure behind us just sold for under $200,000, and it has a bigger lot. Depending on the altitude you're willing to live with, which affects pretty much every other aspect of life, you can get tens of acres for the same price or less, depending on whether it's been developed, has septic & well, etc. You're necessarily going to be stuck using electricity, propane or wood for winter heating.

Beyond all that, you're going to have to do your diligence with regard to county. Some counties have banned ALL outdoor cultivation, completely and entirely. Others, like mine, regulate it very, very closely using whatever means they can. Locally it's a zoning ordinance, so no arrests would be likely for violation. But up in Nevada County? They're using the law and making arrests.

200,000 is not bad what area is that?

Z

Z-ro

LOL...Yea all the organized crime grows are in Cali cause they are not making any money....Cant make no money in Cali...Give me a break...

Yea prices are low here if youre a local, but how may people are really growing here to try and sell to a disp, compared to how many exporting...and even at a low price you can still make bank if you have any idea of what youre doing.

OP, I moved here from TX 5 years ago, my life has never been better and Ive made more money than I could have ever dreamed of. If this is where you are supposed to be then you will make it. See, I think people in CA hate on outsiders because they feel threatened. Native CA folks dont grow that good of weed, as a whole, and when people move cross country to realize their dreams, they typically arent doing it on a whim, they have paper stacked and the knowledge and passion to grow, likely better than 90% of other growers in CA. Natives realize this and feel threatened, hence the haters.

I think people tend to forget that weed gets smoked up fast, there will always be a demand for more, always. Dont listen to the hate, especially from people that only have a 4 light bedroom grow, do your homework and you will be fine.

If your near the ocean its going to suck.
IMO the emerald trangle is overrated.
The laws are chill but the climate isnt the best.
In the sierra foothills where seamaden is from you get almost an extra month of growing compared to up north in the trangle. Central cali down, has the best growing climate.

Save up lots of money before moving, your going to need it.
Good luck on you adventure

usda101

Im coming to Cali but it aint to grow . Seems like going just to cop then shipping back home might be a better option . All the time getting the feel for the lanscape . Then implement your grand plan .

sour power

This thread is interesting but why doesn't people tell this guy how to do it right instead of telling him he is gonna fail I thought we was all on the same team here

S

SeaMaiden

LOL...Yea all the organized crime grows are in Cali cause they are not making any money....Cant make no money in Cali...Give me a break...

Yea prices are low here if youre a local, but how may people are really growing here to try and sell to a disp, compared to how many exporting...and even at a low price you can still make bank if you have any idea of what youre doing.

OP, I moved here from TX 5 years ago, my life has never been better and Ive made more money than I could have ever dreamed of. If this is where you are supposed to be then you will make it. See, I think people in CA hate on outsiders because they feel threatened. Native CA folks dont grow that good of weed, as a whole, and when people move cross country to realize their dreams, they typically arent doing it on a whim, they have paper stacked and the knowledge and passion to grow, likely better than 90% of other growers in CA. Natives realize this and feel threatened, hence the haters.

I think people tend to forget that weed gets smoked up fast, there will always be a demand for more, always. Dont listen to the hate, especially from people that only have a 4 light bedroom grow, do your homework and you will be fine.

It's not hate (coming from me), it's sadness. Sadness when I see this poor, scraggly kid and his poor, scraggly dog sitting on the side of the road. Sadness when I see homeless people, of which we have many in this state. In my particular county it's extremely difficult to find *any* work, let alone a good job. Of course, we're rural, but that's the draw for many. I want to see people succeed, but if they come out here not knowing the lay of the land they end up fucked, and it happens more often than not.

Be prepared, know what your living expenses are going to be, have that money already in-hand. It's better to have a job than come here looking for a job, too. That's the most important issue, IMO.

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
i wont say you cant make money in california.. but all the point that have been brought up are very valid... you must have at least 6 months of cash on hand for expenses, and that includes property, food, equipment, etc etc etc...

but aside from all that the one point that most from out of state dont seem to understand is... sure some counties you can have 99 plants, which believe me is shrinking by the year.. but even if you go to court over 99 plants thats not a huge deal.... what is a huge deal is if your pulling 300 plus #s and get popped with the dry weight... i dont care how many 5-10 plus pounds scripts your rolling around with thinking your ok... its the weight that will get your ass in a jam , not the plant counts generally.... so you can be a state or federal felon real quick for flippin huge packs to the wrong people, or being caught up in a case involving your product crossing state lines.. its still a huge calculated risk, and the larger you go the more people you need to help process, dry and trim it all... and that involves trusting people... your 200k plus harvest can turn into a 50k loss over night if you trust the wrong people.

i wont hate on people coming here and trying to do something legal , just realize things on a large scale are NOT legal in most senses of the law as far as the long end of the stick is concerned...

good luck to all concerned, hope you know what your doing before jumping from 20 feet up into a foot of water... :joint:

S

SeaMaiden

If I were in your shoes I would allocate $2,000/mth for all of that as a minimum, so that would be a mere $12,000. Meh, that doesn't seem right if you end up in an urban area.... hell, I was stunned to find out that in SoCal you can blow almost $1,000/mth on a 2br apartment, but it's been a hell of a long time since I've rented. You should check out the rental listings where you plan to go, then Google average gas prices in that area, and finally go to market websites, like Safeway, and see what food costs would run you for how *you* eat. So maybe more like $4,000/mth allocated would be better, which is $24,000, a chunk o' change.

Better to have a bigger cushion.

Latest posts

Latest posts