What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mars Rover Landing...tonight about 10:30 pm Pacific time

Space Toker

Veteran
Yeah man I am waiting eagerly for 1:31 am est, I have to be up early so I don't know if I can but if I can is there some place it shows the landing online? I want this to work, it is the 4 year anniversary of my moms passing... 4 years ago almost to this moment she was so upbeat on the phone and seemed well on the road to recovery and 6 or so hours later she was gone! I hope this landing works and I have fond memories of aug6 for a change. actually, I should be happy as her suffering stopped then and she is one with all that is. Now, I hope this works! peace

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just smoked some of my Ultimate Strawberry Diesel....I'll watch it ON Mars live!

picture.php

Protea

oh my holly mary jane,
i am watching live pictures from mars. Nasa made it. this must be the technologicaly most advansed man have ever done. hat off to the guys at nasa.

I am amazed.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dang...I just tried to get some video but it seems they've stopped broadcasting. By what you guys are saying it seems like it must have been excellent.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, I did some reading and found out that the coverage ended at 11 pm pacific time, but it will resume shortly, starting at 12:30 am about an hour from now. It will only broadcast for one hour, until 1:30 am.

They did have a 14 part breakdown of the "7 minutes of terror" of what happens when they lose contact with Rover, it was very interesting, you guys should read it, I'll see if I can find a link.

Here ya go:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10013246.html

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the ustream going now...its just video of the control center...they are trying to re-establish the connection to the Rover.

dread

Veteran
what a waste of money,whilst thousands of americans die on the streets from hunger
what a nice country to live it must be !!!
i'm glad i don't live there!!!

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
connection re-established...just incredible to see these images from a different world. Choppy video, but much better than stills.

Sundance

what a waste of money,whilst thousands of americans die on the streets from hunger
what a nice country to live it must be !!!
i'm glad i don't live there!!!

No one dies on the streets of America from Hunger - you could not be more wrong

America is the greatest country in the world !!!

The exploration of space ... and Mars Rover landing is just a small part of what makes America great - very cool stuff

Sundance

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
just went to nasa.gov and the pictures were black and white? I thought we figured that one out. This happened last night and not tonight? Ask me about my attention deficit. Or a cat. Or dog. I saw a rock. Hi.

DrFever

Veteran
Yes a amazing Task just love stuff like this , Also this brings us one step to a world that works together in achieving goals ,
to some of the above posts it was not just USA that did this it was a joint effort from many countries so please don't try to take all the credit
On July 2009 NASA and ESA signed the Mars Joint Exploration Initiative, which proposed to utilize an Atlas rocket launcher instead of a Soyuz, which significantly altered the technical and financial setting of the ExoMars mission. On June 19, when the rover was still planned to piggyback on the Mars Trace Gas Orbiter, it was reported that a prospective agreement would require that ExoMars lose enough weight to fit aboard the Atlas launch vehicle with NASA's orbiter.[11]

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just went to nasa.gov and the pictures were black and white? I thought we figured that one out.

The reason all the photos were black and white was because they contain much less data and are much smaller file sizes than color photographs.

The color photographs will be coming, just takes longer for all that data to reach our planet.

There will be red.