What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Day 11: Am I over-ferting?

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
High all, unfortunately plants aren't looking too great with my first coco grow :badday:

I've been giving pH'ed water, about 5.8 - 6.0. I fed them with about 0.1ml GH Micro and Bloom per litre on day 3 to get some nutes into the coco/perlite mix. Was that too early? I think I might have made the same mistake again yesterday (day 10) because I fed them again with a very weak dose...

Judging by the 2nd pic, it's surely over-fert..?

Shoud I flush them with pH'ed water? Will they be OK?

Thanks for your help :joint:

Wowowwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Burning hell lol !!!

Too young to feed i think.
Only water ph near 6.00 for the 2 first weeks. When the leaves start to become yellow, start to feed them ec 0.8 and more after. Depending of ladies appetit.

Flush them.

Buuuuuuuuuuut, wait wait wait...

yeah, wait others replies.

;)

G

ok, first off the bat, You have my respect for starting seeds in coco. I have crap luck starting seeds or establishing clones in coco, so I gave up and started using promix for those tasks.

No ferts, only plain ph'd water, try to keep it doen to 5.5 to 5.8, [6.0 is okay, but I'd consider that the top end] till the seedling tells you it needs nutes. ( cotelydon [sp?] leaves will start to yellow). Then start mild nutes. You do need to start using nutes earlier with coco since it has no nutes in it, save K which is not released till the coco dries out. I always start them on nutes if not when I see the first true ( 3 finger ) leaves developing, then by the time they are developed. The plant in the second pic will need nutes soon IMO. Are you using tap, distilled, or R/O water? If R/O you may need cal/mag.

I think if you flush it, then dome it for a few days you will see a vast improvement in the seedlings. The problem I had with starting seedlings and clones in coco is that roots need it somewhat on the dry side to get established. With coco, it needs to stay moist to avoid problems with the excess K and cal mag deficiencies. Therefore you need an environment that will supply plent of moisture so the plant can get the water it needs thru the humidity in the air, yet dry enough for root development while maintaining a high enough humidity to keep it moist. However, that is unproven theory and speculation on my part.

One more question, what is the temp of the coco? Is it warm enough?Seedlings like a warm, moist environment.....but beware mold, rootrot, and dampening off.

Last edited:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Thanks for that.

I thought that coco has no nutrients? Well, my one doesn't at least. That's why I thought about adding a very very weak solution of veg fert.

I have flushed the plants with pH'ed water, hope to see an improvement.

If they don't make it then it's cool, will put this down as experience. Will rather start my seeds in jiffy peat pellets and then put those in the coco (should be OK?)

Not too sure about the temp of the coco... Definately not warm though. Seeds were sprouted in coco in a warm area, though. I definately think I'll use jiffy's next time and t/p to coco after a week or two so... That way the plants won't be as sensitive.

Peace :joint:

Last edited:

duggy

I feel your pain, HotC, and am watching with bated breath. . .

C'mon, girls, pull through!

dugs

man I remember that 1st year I started "trying" to grow...killer war my middle name. every thing wa trial and a lot of error:) gl/and i hope you have somemore beans.

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
i had very minor burns on 2 out of 15 seedlings i started in rapid rooters that got stuck into dixie cups of coco coir and fed too early.. i gave the coco a feeding with 2.5ml of each of hygrozyme pbp grow and lk. so 7.5ml per gallon total contents. most of them did completely fine and grew straight through but mainly this one c99 plant got some minor burns. next time i'll wait another day or few before hitting them with any nutes. i was also very nervous about exactly when to feed them since i'm used to soil and being able to wait.. i think it made me more ancy to get some food into the coco.. but yeah play it cooler next time! that's my advice!

and the little burned one.. it was given only water for a day or two and grew right through the burning even tho these first single leaves above the coty's haven't grown as large as the other seedlings its with and i'm sure they never will.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yes highonthechroni, using some jiffy pots or even coco tek or RW cubes to start seeds works better then starting them in coco directly. although it can be done, lol. i find it much easier to use rw cubes to start seeds and plant them on coco only when the roots grow out the bottom of the cube.

G

Jeeze, wish someone had told me I was supposed to have problems so I coulda worried more, lol. Mine went straight from the paper towels to the coco solos. Nothin but water for the first week if I remember right, and Rhizo and water for another week, then repotted into 3 gal pots of coco and started with very, very weak A+B. Plants didn't even burp.

Have to give thanks now. Bow heads, please.

Thank you gaius.

Peace

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
mojo said:
Jeeze, wish someone had told me I was supposed to have problems so I coulda worried more, lol. Mine went straight from the paper towels to the coco solos. Nothin but water for the first week if I remember right, and Rhizo and water for another week, then repotted into 3 gal pots of coco and started with very, very weak A+B. Plants didn't even burp.

Have to give thanks now. Bow heads, please.

Thank you gaius.

Peace
hehehe.. .me too, except I just dropped 50 seeds into water, and when they sank, 1/2" into the coco... 49/50 came up... used ph'd filtered tap water for the first 16 days then one week with my nute solution cut in half with water, then on to full feeding... No worries so far...

G

hey H3ad....gotta ask, how often and how much did you water in the germ/seedling stage?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
oldpeculiar said:
hey H3ad....gotta ask, how often and how much did you water in the germ/seedling stage?
Once a day, after the second day, with not enough for any runoff to come thru... If the coco is clean, and the water is clean, being a bit drier while the seeds are sprouting seems to be no problem... so far... :wink:

G

hotc, how's it goin, dude? yeah I let mine get almost dry between waterings. Was told it helped the roots develop by making them stretch out to look for water. Guess it worked. And when I watered I used a mister to spray the coco with until it started coming out the bottom of the cups. If you try this, be sure to get underneath the leaves to do it so you don't get drops of water on them. No prob unless they're going under lights in which case the water drops have a tendency to act like little magnifying glasses and your leaves get burned.

I used distilled water to water with for the first couple of weeks. Rhizo took care of the nute requirements. Fed them their first A+B when the first real leaves showed up.

I'm sure you're doing better by now, got it by the short hairs and all but just thought I'd throw a couple things out there that worked for me.

Peace gro bro

thc43

Veteran
:wave: small plants = small feeds in the first days. your pots look large and very wet for such a small plant.

Small pots also help ideally the size of a 1inch rock wool cube or peters pot for germing seed. ive had dramas raising seed in coco too but with more carefull feeding my clones and occasional seeds do well in straight coco if the seed was expensive or was feeling slack id use rock wool for the ease and slacker waterings once every 3 or 4 days.

A seed in a coffee cup (250ml) of coco would only need 20ml feeds, 10% of pot size is a good place to start per day or second day until about 10cm tall or well and trully growing UNDER flouros maby more in summer/ heat mat and under hps. 1.0ec, root tonic feeeds are perfect but lower PH if using rhizotonic and no need to waterer till dripping i only go that far when roots have spread through the soil..

Last edited:
G

wassup thc43. Just saying what I did that worked like a champ. Let the cups dry out between waterings but soaked till runoff when I watered. Rhizo has mild nutes in it but will still build up salt when allowed to dry. Watering to run off takes care of the buildup and the coco won't let you over water. It will only hold so much water till it releases it out of the bottom of the pot and at max saturation is still premo for O2 exchange between plant and medium. My experience has been that by surface watering only which is what happens if you only put 4 teaspoons (2/3 oz) of water into over 8 oz of coco and will tend to keep the roots at the surface. Watering to run off puts the last bit of water at the bottom of the cup and the roots will go chasing after it if you let the coco go almost dry between soakings.

And I wouldn't give 1 ec till I saw the first 3 fingered leaves show up. Err on the side of caution with nutes. Use 1mL/quart of Rhizo for nutes till that first 3 finger shows up.

Just my 2 cents worth. But it works, lol.

Peace

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts