What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

sneezydog

I love watching new people try this cob life .... bless yall. Flylo. Ringo, old hands finally gettin down to da cob.... :)
Dry the sample out good if your going sample a still curing cob. Like in the oven for 3 min in shreds on a plate... with the oven half open etc. Just warm. Dont use a m#$%*wave. But usually they are a bit wet to start, as we want to get the real fermentation, and can use a little surface drying... I like to think of the natural wrappers losing moisture slowly so we are adding a step and doing this by hand when we use vacuum seal.
And pooman, those flavors are going to be insane when you start slow drying it after the cure. Sounds great. Leather is a deep, still wet cob smell...

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Smokes to.white ash and good after taste..I'll dry a little 🖖

Also my lungs are also doomed if I keep smoking the pipe or chill um, I invested in some glycerine freezing glass and it's better....I hit through a hammer bubbler too for the ease....I don't know if I have the courage to stop to chew...probably should
Those cobs look spot on my friend touch dry the cobs and re seal to age.
Be careful about chewing cobs brother its another trip entirely compared to smoking it.
You need a clear head and low tolerance to get the full effects.
But we all have to start somewhere its a long journey of discovery ahead.
My trips lately have been very educational for me its like a new world out there at the moment ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
I love watching new people try this cob life .... bless yall. Flylo. Ringo, old hands finally gettin down to da cob.... :)
Dry the sample out good if your going sample a still curing cob. Like in the oven for 3 min in shreds on a plate... with the oven half open etc. Just warm. Dont use a m#$%*wave. But usually they are a bit wet to start, as we want to get the real fermentation, and can use a little surface drying... I like to think of the natural wrappers losing moisture slowly so we are adding a step and doing this by hand when we use vacuum seal.
And pooman, those flavors are going to be insane when you start slow drying it after the cure. Sounds great. Leather is a deep, still wet cob smell...
Word brother.

pooman

As stated before...im not a man of patience...but as I type this furiously. I felt a smoke report was in order...christ almighty....the sliver I slant was too much over slight...christ oh mighty, I totally forgot the compaction logic and smoked two bowls of like a 16th of an inch half inch radius on the Cobb cylinder....gave me initial paranoia..and this thread calmed me.down and i felt like divulging, then right behind the eyes...fucking great....

pooman

Those cobs look spot on my friend touch dry the cobs and re seal to age.
Be careful about chewing cobs brother its another trip entirely compared to smoking it.
You need a clear head and low tolerance to get the full effects.
But we all have to start somewhere its a long journey of discovery ahead.
My trips lately have been very educational for me its like a new world out there at the moment ha ha.

That's a great inspiration to get clean for a bit, I just may do that....is it more of a deep rush that's consistent? than just a 2 -4 hour bake ?

Taima-da

Chewed it comes in big smooth waves but even smiling like a crazy at the ebbs.

Rushyness depends on the cob, each shade of cure and strain unique.

Nothing like 2-4hrs, that's the best thing;
it's a bit hard to work out how long it lasts cos, as Tangwena says, you develop a floating charge with regular chewing but I'd say 7-8 hrs easy.

It's got some serious legs, really very close to an all day thing.
I usually don't partake late in the day, chewing in the evening is a bit of a waste cos you're either asleep while it works it's magic or you're just totally awake from the gear.
Even chewed early in the morning I can wake up fairly sizzled the next day.

Some days you can even forget to chew due to the previous day's floating charge. unheard of as a heavy smoker

Tangwena

Veteran
Chewed it comes in big smooth waves but even smiling like a crazy at the ebbs.

Rushyness depends on the cob, each shade of cure and strain unique.

Nothing like 2-4hrs, that's the best thing;
it's a bit hard to work out how long it lasts cos, as Tangwena says, you develop a floating charge with regular chewing but I'd say 7-8 hrs easy.

It's got some serious legs, really very close to an all day thing.
I usually don't partake late in the day, chewing in the evening is a bit of a waste cos you're either asleep while it works it's magic or you're just totally awake from the gear.
Even chewed early in the morning I can wake up fairly sizzled the next day.

Some days you can even forget to chew due to the previous day's floating charge. unheard of as a heavy smoker
Perfect answer brother its totally different from smoking. Every 4 or 5 days I take a 24 to 48hrs break to let the floating charge diminish.
Then when I chew it again I get the euphoric rush come on many times stronger its pure bliss.
As Taima-da said every cob of every plant of every strain is unique in its cure very hard to reproduce exactly.
So when you strike gold in that special cob saver the moment its unique and may never happen exactly the same again.
Its like wine vintages some are outstanding, same grapes just different set of growing conditions that year.

Tangwena

Veteran
Some Mulanje cobs 3 days old from a member of the brotherhood.

20230311_103532.jpg

Poetic Man

My Dear Friends,

I'm a long-time lurker in your little corner of the internet. Today I've registered and am posting both to thank Tangwena et al for developing and disseminating the invaluable information that is to be found in this thread, and also because, when I was floating around the house on some five year old Malawi cob yesterday, I had myself a little bit of a vision that I wanted to share with you nice people.

You see, I've been studying both plant medicine and early human anthropology recently. As part of this study, I often find myself chewing on various roots and seeds and flowers and leaves, sometimes of intensely pungent sorts. These unadulterated pungent, medicinal tastes would have been part of our ancient ancestors' everyday lives; they would have experienced plant medicines in their most immediate forms.

Thinking about all this while I chewed a bit of angelica sinesis root, half cobbed out of my gourd, it struck me that our ancient ancestors would have been attracted to cannabis for a whole host of reasons: nutritional, medicinal, and spiritual. As they collected mature flowers, sticky with medicinal resin and bursting with nutritious seeds, what would have been the most natural way to preserve the harvest? It seems all but unthinkable that they wouldn't simply have pressed the flowers together, since they would have begun sticking to each other anyway. The seed-packed pressed flowers, the first proto-cobs, would have made an energy dense and highly medicinal snack, one that would have the additional draw of sending one into a sort of spiritual ecstasy. Cobbing and cob-chewing, that is to say, must go way back in human-cannabis history. That's what the cob told me yesterday, anyway.

Who knows if there's any truth to any of this, but it's made me want to grow a patch of open pollenated pure landrace of some kind (African or Southeast Asian would be where I'd look), let the buds get fertilized, and then cob it all up. Presumably, the dose would be a bit higher with the seeded flowers and unselected plants, which would allow one to enjoy a good enough amount to also get some nutrition from the seeds. It could provide a neolithic trip and a morning snack!

Unfortunately, I'm living dead-center in the middle of Los Angeles for the time being, and can only grow a few plants a year, so this won't be happening any time soon, but if any of you are struck by this idea and have the time and resources to try it, please post about it here.

Back to lurking now. Peace,
PM

PS:

sneezydog

Mahalos poetic man!!! Im a ape man too... make a thread of natural plant meds if you will! Im sure it would have a good run if you like. Who knows what others would jump on something like that. Im using wedelia for a wound today because of a thread about living on an island with natives from 2012

Tangwena

Veteran
IMG_2543.JPG
IMG_2544.JPG

@Poetic Man
Welcome to the jungle my friend.
I do all my learning high on chewed cob brother whatever deep thoughts you have would be very profound.
The plants through the cob can teach you so much its true.
When I'm alone in the Aussie bush the ancient life forces speak to me and because there is no modern white noise blocking it out I can feel them.

Above is half a pound of Acapulco Gold complete with seeds 7 days into a cob style cure.
Grown by me not from Mexico ha ha.

Last edited:
hello everyone. i am new here. this is my first post. i have been a lurker all my life with forum boards. ive had this hobby for aobut 4 or 5 yrs. i am probably considered a pioneer in my area so i wont be posting many pictures. i just discovered this art of cobbing a few days ago. luckily for me, i had a 1 day old harvest at the time. so far i have done a 21-22hr sweat with 3 strains. white widow, runtz, and moby dick. i wrapped them all in corn husks and tied it off with hempwick. i noticed the bag sweating so i dried with a paper towel and vac sealed them again. i set it back on my heat pad at 81F because it fluctuates +/- 2-3 degrees. it will stay for a week.
i had 1 question. when i opened the bags they all smelled green, like vegetables or spinach. this is normal right? and after about a week of this fermenting stage thesmells will come out? i forgot to mention, the budz i harvested got up to about 80 RH before i started this process along with trimming them. i just noticed that people are saying the leaves help with cobbing.

StickyBandit

hello everyone. i am new here. this is my first post. i have been a lurker all my life with forum boards. ive had this hobby for aobut 4 or 5 yrs. i am probably considered a pioneer in my area so i wont be posting many pictures. i just discovered this art of cobbing a few days ago. luckily for me, i had a 1 day old harvest at the time. so far i have done a 21-22hr sweat with 3 strains. white widow, runtz, and moby dick. i wrapped them all in corn husks and tied it off with hempwick. i noticed the bag sweating so i dried with a paper towel and vac sealed them again. i set it back on my heat pad at 81F because it fluctuates +/- 2-3 degrees. it will stay for a week.
i had 1 question. when i opened the bags they all smelled green, like vegetables or spinach. this is normal right? and after about a week of this fermenting stage thesmells will come out? i forgot to mention, the budz i harvested got up to about 80 RH before i started this process along with trimming them. i just noticed that people are saying the leaves help with cobbing.
Hi DankLordMaster.
Not too wet. You might want to dry it a bit before leaving it closed for long periods. I think you only want to start fermentation, not start mold like I did on a test I tried a while back. I let mine dry in the summer heat a few days before sealing for longer periods. It shouldn't smell like damp grass imo.

Hi DankLordMaster.
Not too wet. You might want to dry it a bit before leaving it closed for long periods. I think you only want to start fermentation, not start mold like I did on a test I tried a while back. I let mine dry in the summer heat a few days before sealing for longer periods. It shouldn't smell like damp grass imo.
maybe i should check it tommorow an leave it out for an hour or so before re sealing?

Taima-da

maybe i should check it tommorow an leave it out for an hour or so before re sealing?
Photos would help.
Sounds like you started way wet.
You gotta let the water content out.
That takes time.
Any modern strain I would dry the whole plant for five or more days before starting. Maybe less if you have broken it all down (or if you're dealing with light wispy flower structures, or you live in super drying conditions).
Once started wet they tend to hold moisture so you will find even a day or two drying won't over do it. Certainly a hour or two is nothing really for moisture to move from within a solid mass.

Once the colour has changed you should try to slow the reaction down (by drying) so you don't end up fully over fermented.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Did you cob them after only one day drying?
If so undo all the cobs ie remove the wrapping and allow the rolled buds to dry for 3 to 5 days before you wrap them up again.
They will be way to wet only one day after harvest.
Lucky you will have caught them in time I hope.
Pictures would be a huge help here.

Latest posts

Latest posts