What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smurfs turf; When life gives you lemons....

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
You blow them up with 12 lights!

Hey guys. This should be a good one. I wasnt around for a while. Ive been back for a few months in order to get hip with all the new products, science, methods, info ect.... Its amazing how the learning never ends. I love it!

Disclaimer: This grow is in a legal location with the proper documentation according to the state laws. Here we go.

Strain: Lemon G (clone only)
Lineage: Debatable; Either from Reefermans love potion, or its from a pack of old gifted g-13 seeds that knocked up another local cut known as Skunk Misty. The newest info is pointing toward g-13 x skunk misty. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=150421&page=7
Projected Lifetime: 77 days
Medium: 20% perlite, 80% Atami Bcuzz Coco
Drip manifold (based on picos design) systems 3/4" mainline.
12 x 600watt Hortilux's in daystar a/c reflectors.
Can 150 with 14" max fan for scrubbing
Can 100 with 8" vortex fan for exhaust
Phresh 8" inline filter for exhaust
Lights are placed 4ft on center. 4x4 area per light.
There is a custom made central vent on one side of the room that the lights are ducted to. I am just pulling air through the hoods so heat doesnt build up, im not using lenses. I hate lenses.

Now thats out of the way, more about the show. The space is an L-shape. I prefer square rooms, but you gotta work with what youve got. The crops are at different stages (3wks apart). Each rotation is under 6 lights. 2 rotations total.
Im a little late for the show, but ill go ahead and get you guys caught up real quick. Hold on to your plants, this is gonna be a fast ride.....

Room 1-

Late Veg

Day one flower

Day 8

Day 14

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Day 19 cont'd

Day 20

Day 23

Day 24

This is also a log for me to keep track of progress. I will add more as time goes on. This thread is for everyones enjoyment. Anyone is welcome, just keep it chill, and clean up the drool when you leave;)

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
I forgot to mention that one side is in 5 gallon smartpots with 4 per light. The other side is 2 gallon smart pots at 9 per light. I want to see just how much more the bigger plants will yield, and if its enough to justify the amount of veg time, nutes, light etc vs the smaller ones.
Because i have to use my flower room as my veg room, I can pull of about 3 runs per year with 5 gallons, about 4 runs per year with 2 gallons, or about 5 runs per year using 1 gallons and no veg time. I feel like flowering this hybrid from clone sog style is the way to go, but thats a lot of plants. Were talking any where from 12-16 per light. With 12 lights that easily puts you well over the 99 mark. This is why i usually stick with 2 gallon pots instead. Its seems like a good medium.

I have done smaller runs in the past in cap ebb n grow buckets with this strain from clone. You end up with 2 liters when you do it right. The trim job is a cinch because each plant is one giant bud. Its the same result as soquick used to get. If anyone remembers him;)

Zarezhu

Wow smurf, looking beauuutiful.

Do you multifeed? I'd imagine the 2 gallon side needs multiple daily waterings.

looks like its coming along nicely, i doubt there is going to be a significant yield difference unless one is having to get watered more times throughout the day , there tends to be a linear increase in yield with pot size but its relatively the same increase for veg time as well if all things are equal being compared, at least from what ive noticed as it tends to just keep plant #'s down.

do you not like glass for the small % of light loss or for other reasons? if its just for light loss you can replace the glass with starphire or other low iron glass. i prefer glass as a small extra safety feature, especially if there arent sprinklers or other safety measures. not trying to tell ya how to do it just throwing other options if you hadnt already thought of or if any of that might be a concern for ya

ill be pulling up a chair an seeing how this goes.

when you are putting images up do use just load them here or are using another host, i ask as i cant figure out how to put text between pics hosted from here.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Thanks for the kind words fellas. Room1 has been taking a beating from some warmer than usual weather. The leaf edges started to curl up a tiny bit because it got up into the low 80's in there for a couple days. The duct came off my outtake and i didnt see it. I i just thought it was because it was so hot outside. Ive had to run a checker pattern with the lights several different times now. Between the reduced light, and the excess heat, i really dont think this will be any kind of bumper crop. I was really hoping to break an old personal record of just over 10lbs from 6x600's. Room 2 however is looking phenominal. Unfortunately even if i kill it, those little plants dont have enough vegetative matter to hold over 10lbs i wouldnt think.

@zarezhu- I am feeding them once per day at the moment, then i will fee twice every 36 hours after the 4th or 5th week when the plants tell me they need more.

@cheffy- It is a drain to waste setup. 15-20% runoff each time.

@Zerocool- The lenses block light and trap heat. The light loss is about 5-6% if memory serves me correct, and can be upwards of 15% or more if you dont clean them constantly. Then another huge percentage can be lost if you air cooling your hoods. Jair from gavita mentioned that a 1000watt bulb could only be putting energy thats comparable to what you would expect from 600watts. Like if you use winter air to cool your duct chains i would assume. Been there, done that, you can easily see how much dimmer the bulbs run. Im already losing light through the vent ports, so i dont need any more loss. Every little percent counts and adds up to the big picture.

Thanks for the glass suggestions though, i may look into that for when i have to air cool in the summer.

MrAwder

subbed in. love following grows of things i've actually smoked and seen. it's a bummer that the lineage of these strains is always so steeped in mystery though. i'd love to try lemon g in vert, deathstar is not great for me in vert as it seems to want grow more wide than tall. regardless i always keep it in rotation since its such a great migraine cure and sleep aid. lemon g has more aphrodisiac effects... but maybe that was just college haha.

DunHav`nFun

Been missin yas Smurfy , gladta see yas back around and still strokin.......now...

As far as crops per yr goes , you`ve got enough lights and tables to set up a weekly harvest with each table a week behind each other till yas get to 10 tables strain dependent , and then Harvey the first table......

Then , pull and plant a table every week for 52 Harvey`s every yr , waaaaaay less bullshit trimming , and always available product that can be monocropped on it`s own table to squeeze every gram possible out of the bitches , but that`s just me.....

Takes a small rooting and pre-veg area to get em acclimated to the size pot they`ll stay in till chop , and the size container only need be as big as they`ll build roots by end of stretch , so that`ll help yas decide how big to get em before goin under the big lights....anyways....

You`re doin a helluva job regardless , and doin what`s best for you`s what matters the most , but....

2 + lbs per week`s enticing huh bro....104 lbs a yr once dialed and hoonin......Just takes the initial time and ability to veg big enough outside the flower area before introducing new plants to each table every week......plus....

Finding the right plant numbers per table that works for you and your scrip......regardless....

Over here on my bucket watchin ....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Thanks for the comments on the canopy guys. I work very hard to keep it even. Monocropping with a homogenous canopy is a key to yields, and consistency. Its a lot of work to do with a sativa leaning hybrid like this. Some shoots just race up out of nowhere, leaving others in their dust.. I use seaweed extracts and certain pruning methods to keep it as even as possible.

I use some pretty expensive products. One is $100/liter, and another is about $150 for 250ml. The cost of experimentation is high, but im not the kind of guy that finds a program that works, and then only use that regimen. Im always looking for ways to increase plant health, yield, resin content, structure ect... Im not saying that the supplements are soley responsible for these things, but they play a role. I mess around with spectrum and environment as well. It all starts with environmental control. You can grow some pretty nice plants with just a base fert in perfect conditions. Even without co2.
So because the products cost so much, i have been using them differently than you normally would. Every time i feed with a 55 gallon reservoir, I will add base nutes, plus calmag. Then i will feed the plants half of the reservoir with this mix. When it gets to about 15 gallons, i will then some of the more expensive stuff, and then finish feeding them the rest. This cuts the usage in half, and the plants dont seem to be any different. Your also not wasting as much fresh product in the runoff procedure. Id like to hear others input on this.

@Dun- I would love to have a nonstop weekly rotation again, but unfortunately i cant run this many lights in the summer. I am also busy with other things during that time as well. Ive done it before though. It really does cut down the trimming workload, but having 11-12 rotations going at one time can be a pita. They all have diff food requirements at diff stages, so you dosing at least 6 rez's. And then if you get mites all over the diff stages of plants your screwed because you can clean the early flower plants, but not the one with donkey dicks. Theres plus's and minus's that come with the method. In the end you should just do what works best for your specific situtation. This setup works well for me. Thanks for stopping in!

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Everything is going decent, except for the yield department in room 1. Those few hot days, and the canopy getting a little too filled in sure did not help. I admit, im off of my game a little bit, and i will end up paying for it. I blame it on the holidays;). Room 1 should have about another 25% worth of flower growth on them at this point if conditions were perfect. I still think it we be a respectable yield, just not what im used to. Theres still another 3 weeks to go. Good thing i have a whole other 6 lights to try and redeem myself. Also, room 1 night temps have gotten as low as 66F, and sure enough, the plants are now trying to quit early on me. The leaves are fading and trying to change colors. Im putting a heater in tonight and try to keep a minimum of 72F. Dont quit on me now ladies!!!!

Room 2 is stable environmentally. Slight salt build up (1.2ec in 1.9ec out). Its back around 1.1 now, and they should be recovering fine. 1.9 does sound high, but they really arent showing much more than slight tip burn, and maybe a little lack of pigment (lime green) from Mg being locked out i assume. I havent fed any higher than 1.2, i must not be getting enough runoff, or they just arent eating that much. Next time ill start flower at 0.8-1.0ec and see what happens. I have 2 drippers per pot, but it still doesnt seem like they cover enough area to get the same results as a manual hand feed flush with a wand. Its easy for the salts to float their way 6" off to the sides of the drippers and build up, but not as easy to wash them way. Im doing rings, or doubling drippers next time.

Room 2 @ 28 days flower

Room 1 @ 55 days flower

I cant leave out the cryogenic crew!

Weeded1s

Solid job though with all that work.
at smurfs house u can find clones in the microwave and in the toaster also lol

Latest posts

Latest posts