What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tester Badge for Seedbay & Bou testers ?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These are NOT official ICmag badges.
Please do not use them.​

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

( Im hoping this is the right Sub-forum for this request )

I have an idea that I've been chewing on for a good year now and finally have time to ask...

Could we get a badge for members that complete a certain
number of test grow for breeders and Others
that send tester packs through seedbay and the Bou...
I think the Bou sends testers....Not sure...

What Im thinking is simple...

Have a set of simple requirements that need to be
met by a member who wants to earn a Seed Tester Badge...

Example:

A member must
Complete 3 test grows in a row...
(Cant be at the same time)

Each test pack need to be started within 30 day of being sent.
(Not received 2 times disqualifies you)

Each grow must have a thread created- A shared tester thread would be acceptable yet must be for test grows only...
(Different breeders seeds in one thread)

Each tester pack thread needs-
Germination-veg-flowering-harvest-smoke reports
(Simple updates with at least 1 picture By weekly)

Perhaps a thumbs up from 3 breeders to really make
it a challenge to earn a badge....

Why bother you might ask...

I have been a member of this community coming up
on 2 years now and over the last year
I have sent 2 sets of tester pack through seedbay
to fellow members and I have also been selected to
test seeds for 2 different breeders...

Being on both sides of the fence has really shown
me the need to know who can be counted on
to test my flavors and help me get things done...

My 1st set of packs sent for testing:
35 packs sent out...

10 threads started
4 threads completed
6 people never heard from

There are a few testers still "Getting to it"
Most people received 2 packs and of course
Life Happened with a few...

To be honest...
I didn't gain half the knowledge about these packs
that I had hoped for by this point... Had all or even most
of the seeds been completed I would have gained
enormous incite into what each cross has to offer...

I now find myself needing to run a couple crosses myself
in order to find the information I need..

Having just sent out a 2nd set of tester pack
33 packs to 30 testers...

I believe.. I have a great set of testers BTW...

I found that it is very difficult to go through 50 or so members threads to see if they seem like they might,perhaps finish a tester thread... I would have loved to have 5-10 members show up with a badge and claim there desired flavor...

Front row seat right next to prior testers of my work...
That's what a badge would get a member (From me) willing to put in the work for said badge...

I have plans for a 3rd set of testers,later this year if all goes well this round... I would imagine a 4th and 5th set are possible if each round gets completed,that's how it's supposed to work right ? lol

Having badges would increase the likelihood that a set of tester packs sent will have at least a few completed grows done and I believe badges might encourage testers to stay the course and complete the reports...

I am also testing seeds for a up and coming breeder and have had a great time doing the grow thread... If not for doing my own work I have no doubt I would be looking to be a full time tester for others...

I mean free seeds of up and coming flavors from both students of the art and well seasoned breeders alike... Seems like a no brainier for a personal smoke grower...

I've noticed that quite a few of the well known breeders who's flavors would be most desired do not seem to have testers list posted and instead find trusted members for personally invited test.
Which if fine of course but I have to think if they could trust that there were know qualified members to be easily identified (Badge)
they might be willing to send more tester packs out and there by get more done quicker than they can now...

Seems to me a badge might help:

Retain long term members

keep members from acting out and getting banned(something to lose)

Encourage members to become Supporting members since the free seeds received over time would pay for the membership to the site...

Give members a goal to achieve...

To be honest...
If there were a badge offered I might have never started down the path I am on now and most likely would be known as a tester by now...lol

So there are downsides to a badge...haha... Don't even...haha...

I'm simply tossing out Ideas here and wonder if something could be done ?

There's still the issue's of who decides who get a badge.
I would imagine there would be need to understand it's not an endorsement from ICmag of any members ability to finish a tester pack.

I'm just hoping to spark a fire that leads to a system that makes everyone life easier and maybe even becomes a
Win-Win-Win-win situation...
Icmag-Seedbay/Bou-Breeder-Member

So... what do you,think ?
Could we get a Tester badge system worked on ?

c2288

Excellent suggestion and it levels the testing opportunities for everyone! Hope that we have enough supporters to make this happen.
Best regards,
C

roach

Veteran
Its a good idea, but some guidelines for breeders would be nice too, I have tried so many times to sign up as a tester where the breeder clearly states that you must be able to start the seeds imidiatly, and then 2 months later they still havent gotten around to pick the testers and send out seeds, if I sign up as a tester its because I have room now, not in 2 months, so if you want me to start your seeds imidiatly you should be able to send them out imidiatly

StoneyK

Veteran
I like this idea too...
Cant say ive ever wanted a badge before ;) lol
But this one sounds ok.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I am kinda with roach on this subject the breeders should have to already have the set amount of tester packs at the bay before they even ask for testers. Then put a thread up for a week looking for testers pick them and bam send the packs out turn around time at most a month till seeds land in testers hands.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its a good idea, but some guidelines for breeders would be nice too, I have tried so many times to sign up as a tester where the breeder clearly states that you must be able to start the seeds imidiatly, and then 2 months later they still havent gotten around to pick the testers and send out seeds, if I sign up as a tester its because I have room now, not in 2 months, so if you want me to start your seeds imidiatly you should be able to send them out imidiatly

totally agree roach been there done that wont ever ask again :biggrin:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like this idea too...
Cant say ive ever wanted a badge before ;) lol
But this one sounds ok.

Reminiscent of a Boy Scout or Girl Scout badge....reward/recognition on your sash for growing goodness in the community!!! lol.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a 2 way street for sure, breeders need to be on the ball as well.
Why would you call for testers before the packs are at the bay?
Goofy..:biggrin:

So. . Would those sending the testers out, get a badge as well.
"Student of the arts" might be hard to fit on a badge. :) (joking)

Adding a fake badge to your SIG would defeat the purpose.

It's not about the badge itself.
It's about the commitment shown to the community.
The ability to easily spot those committed to that which they sign up for.

Mister_D

Veteran
I think the idea has merit :good: Though I don't have anything constructive to add beyond what's already been said.

bigshrimp

Veteran
A good idea for sure. It would be good to figure out a way to do it that wouldn't be alot of work for Clarence or the breeders.

Maybe a simple positive - negative rating for testers by the breeders kept in a thread somewhere. Different breeders seem to have different expectations for test grows so a simple yes no rating from the breeder might do.

Just shootin ideas

Skip

Veteran
Good suggestions! How about this...

Once a tester finishes a grow to the breeder's satisfaction, they get an itty bitty mj leaf under their name, like the green lights we give for rep.

So you can see how many such growers have been completed.

It'll be work to set something like that up, way more involved than a badge.

Someone would have to vet the grow besides the breeder to confirm it's legit and complete.

I would think those little leaves would be more coveted than rep... :)

What if the grow or genetics are not successful? Where do you draw the line as to what is worthy of getting a leaf?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Neat idea, how many testers are there, like a thousand,
or a hundred?

The effort put into the badge program should obviously reflect
the potential return for breeders and testers alike.

Who figures that stuff out anyway. seems too much like work to me.
Brrrr.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good suggestions! How about this...

Once a tester finishes a grow to the breeder's satisfaction, they get an itty bitty mj leaf under their name, like the green lights we give for rep.

So you can see how many such growers have been completed.

It'll be work to set something like that up, way more involved than a badge.

Someone would have to vet the grow besides the breeder to confirm it's legit and complete.

I would think those little leaves would be more coveted than rep... :)

What if the grow or genetics are not successful? Where do you draw the line as to what is worthy of getting a leaf?

Excellent idea...
If a leaf per test complete.
How many leafs would be allowed total... Hummm...6-8-11?
Some testers are running 3 different test for 3 different people and could gain those maximum #s quickly....

I would suggest 1 leaf per tester thread/season/breeder call it what you will...
So if a tester runs 3 flavors for 1 breeder at the same time it would be 1 leaf.

If the tester run's 3 flavors for 3 different breeders in the same thread,
it would be 3 leafs as long as all 3 sets meet the requirements.

Interesting...
Might be like a scale... 2 leaf tester vs a 9 leaf tester...

I like where it's heading yet could see issue's arise if a 2 leafer where chosen over a 4 leafer..lol
Things like"You got all your leaves in one year" I earned my 3 leaves the hard way... IDK... People are funny....

The outcome should not matter as long as it is documented.
The genetics are weak and the plants go hermi week 1 into flower.
Pictures and a environment report would still be golden information.
-Temps in the 90's causes this strain to hermi-

"Dude your plant hermied,sorry bro..."
No picture,no lead up,no info-No bueno....

I think you start by making it a challenge to get to even apply for a leaf.

Each tester pack thread needs-
Germination-veg-flowering-harvest-smoke reports
(Simple updates with at least 1 picture Biweekly)

Those missing a requirement,need not apply...
That alone should keep thing within reason...

Once all requirements are met...
Either the tester or breeder could contact a MOD chosen to verify
the requirements are met and the breeder is satisfied then the tester receives his/her leaf.

The MOD having the final word and taking the breeders thoughts into account....

I like where it's headed,that's for sure and yeah..
A little more involved than a badge...haha...

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
I would also like to see the grow summarized in our Grow Reports section.

That would be the final requirement and then I could vet that report and the grow journal for completeness before assigning a leaf.

I would think people would be limited to one grow report/leaf a quarter (at least 3 months for a grow from seed, no?)

So the most anyone could accumulate in a year would be 4 leaves.

We could also give them a badge too, but that might be redundant.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Interesting idea.

I like the leaves. Im not sure how 1 per quarter would fly though. Some members run multiple beans all from different breeders simultaneously and complete 8 or more individual tests per year. What if someone runs 8 tests and completes 4 to specification. That grower gets 4 leaves but is only 50% reliable.

Or, the breeder who only stops in once a month or two and just says, "Great job bro!", or doesn't answer tester questions.

Overall, a good idea - but I see a lot of arguing and name calling while this gets hashed out.

Latest posts

Latest posts