What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody Else into Hyper-miling ?

St. Phatty

The ORIGINAL hyper miling is, driving your car to get EXTRA good gas mileage.

Hypermilers tend to not use the brakes much. When they go into an exit off a highway they try to keep up their speed as much as possible.

So obviously it works better if there's not a line of cars at the free way exit.

ANYWAY, Hypermiling is interesting, and I do it a little.

But I like the "General Household Living" version of Hyper miling.

e.g. getting along on 1 gallon of water a day.

the Drought allowance when I lived in an apartment in Sonoma County, that got my landlord to stop knocking on the door waving a water bill in my face, was to reduce my use to 30 gallons of water a day. Which meant re-using all the bath-tub water.

( Then draining it as if I had an infinite supply.)

But what if you DIDN'T have an infinite supply, of water ?

For me it's just an interesting way to understand resource-deprived life-styles.

One of the things I did was to build a 900 watt wire-wound heater, so I can re-use the water in the bath-tub. I just heat it back up.

Then you might ask, "well, doesn't it get a bit smelly ?"

OK well that would be a segue into the next part of the project - building a LARGE aquarium filter. So I can treat the water in the bathtub like you might treat an aquarium.

Anyway, Water is not the ONLY think that is of limited supply, on most of the Earth and maybe in our future.

Although Water is one of the obvious ones, there are lots of areas of our life where we can be Frugal. Not because we're limited on money but because it's INTERESTING.

It's also a preview of our possible future.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Ah, water! Re-using bath water to save it? Do you also not flush down yellow, instead let it mellow like they had to do in Atlanta? Piss outside instead?

No thanks. I did my part by replacing my almost 1000' of 1" water line, and fixing a $250/mo leak. The usual bill is around $15, and I don't bother trying to save. There is plenty of water around here. The next big rain and I will get over a million gallons of water, free, in my pond. I can pump out of it irrigating the grass (and garden) all summer.

I think I'll do a few bowls of Kush and take a nice long hot shower. Too cold and wet outside to do much anyways.

Sunshineinabag

Nah just hydroplaned once in my saab 900s back in the day. That was enough to buy a nice road bike...don't drive at all anymore