What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Liberal social media censorship

Absolem

Social media sites are modern day bulletin boards.

If the owner of that board doesn't like what's on it they have every right to remove it or restrict what is put there.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

If the owner of that board doesn't like what's on it they have every right to remove it or restrict what is put there.

- yeah - we don't care if you pray to The Great Auk - or leave offerings at the temple of Ethelred the Unready - if you voted for Teddy Roosevelt - or was in league with Gunga Dinh - so long as you can respect the other members - and not flame, bad-name or troll them - then you are invited to stick around -

St. Phatty

Social media sites are Corporate run modern day bulletin boards.

Big difference between Facebook 2020 and BMUG 1994.

'Boogieman'

I say if they censor people or news stories change the laws to let the people sue them for violating our constitution right to freedom speech and so on.

'Boogieman'

If I go on a conservative message board and start sharing my liberal views how long would my account last?

They would probably keep you around for the amusement. You wouldn't get banned you would get trolled which does not violate your constitutional rights. Don't believe me... Go on Breitbart right now and find out yourself...

X

xavier7995

Those corporations don't owe you a platform though. They are not a government entity, their duty is not to the public, its to the shareholders. Their duty is to earn a profit, if people are putting up material that much of the user base finds objectionable then the company is duty bound to step in and act to protect its financial interests.

Same as newspapers are not required to run every letter to the editor, these private companies are not required to give you a platform. The constitution protects against the government going after someone for what they post on whatever medium, but the owners/operators of that medium are under no such obligation to host the content.

Using this site as an example, the government is prohibited from censoring my speech and stopping me from saying whatever I want on whatever medium will have me. Public speaking on a street corner is protected as the medium you are using is publicly held, the government owns the corner. If what I want to say is that weed causes aids robots to come kick you in the balls...the proprietors of this website have the right not to have that on their medium. I can stand on a bench on the street and say it all day long.

To paraphrase and slightly alter a popular line...my rights end where yours begin. You have a right to free speech, I have a right not to listen, you have a right to say what you where you want, I have a right to not give a platform to it or choose to not support whomever does.

Edit: lol, trumps gotten liberal folks to start buying guns and conservatives advocating the government takeover of private business.

'Boogieman'

They are too big to just turn the other cheek, they have a monopoly on news and use communist tactic to silence anyone who bursts their bubble. Break them up or let us sue them, nobody will change my mind.

If I go on a conservative message board and start sharing my liberal views how long would my account last?

they would welcome you like chum in the water... they would love that you were strong enough to actually own your convictions...Most leftist are allergic to discourse and simply want to dictate terms ,,the Righties want to tear your ass up and will welcome the chance, the question is can you handle the truth and tolerate being on a conservative board where your lefty moderators aren't going to run cover for you..usually you lefties are unable to hack it, which is why we are seeing soo much censorship coming from the left....

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Problem is, once they start removing posts , they are editorializing the content, just like a newspaper. Then they cannot claim to be just a platform, and they lose their protections from libel and slander laws. They want it both ways.

The tee vee news over-the-airways broascasts are supposed to be for the public good, since they use .guv regulated spectrum. They clearly are not acting in th public interest. They are acting in th interests of the owners, and Trump should have the FCC revoke the broadcast licenses of ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS and FOX broadcast, especially the chris wallace sunday am show. Plus stop funding PBS with tax money. Yeah, I like NOVA and Frontline too.

The difficulty is the local stations just run what the national feeds put out, so the national feeds which are private, are the issue. This is complicated, and freedom of speech is huge in America. As well as assembly (some call it rioting).

Private companies should be able to put out whatever they want. That is why howard stern is on cable, not airways.

Last edited:

Cannavore

Veteran
deal with it or support to nationalize these platforms as public utilities with the real left.

Cannavore

Veteran
They are too big to just turn the other cheek, they have a monopoly on news and use communist tactic to silence anyone who bursts their bubble. Break them up or let us sue them, nobody will change my mind.
how are you still confusing authoritarianism with communism lol

X

xavier7995

Problem is, once they start removing posts , they are editorializing the content, just like a newspaper. Then they cannot claim to be just a platform, and they lose their protections from libel and slander laws. They want it both ways.

The tee vee news over-the-airways broascasts are supposed to be for the public good, since they use .guv regulated spectrum. They clearly are not acting in th public interest. They are acting in th interests of the owners, and Trump should have the FCC revoke the broadcast licenses of ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. Plus stop funding PBS with tax money. Yeah, I like NOVA and Frontline too.

The difficulty is the local stations just run what the national feeds put out, so the national feeds which are private, are the issue. This is complicated, and freedom of speech is huge in America. As well as assembly (some call it rioting).

Private companies should be able to put out whatever they want. That is why howard stern is on cable, not airways.

To the first point, the social media postings would be akin to the letters to the editor section of a newspaper. Its been going on since at least the 90s, but the court cases have overwhelmingly sided with the newspapers and deemed opinions as protected from slander/libel. Fox got sued for this and its the reason most of their shows now are considered opinion/talk and not news.

Not the point I am making, but if whatever content is deemed harmful, it does get into dicey legal territory providing the hosting for the content. You can't host bomb making stuff for instance. So if the posts that are getting removed are about drinking bleach, well...idk, removal for the public good or whatever makes it hard to host the anarchist cookbook and such.

Same as private companies should be able to put out what they want, they can choose what they don't want to put out.

Ps...why is fox not included in the list of places that you think should have their broadcasting license pulled?

'Boogieman'

how are you still confusing authoritarianism with communism lol

Because communist countries practice authoritarian practices like censoring anyone they disagree with. I go by what communist countries do, not the made up fantasy version of communism that lefties believe in.

F2F

^^^This.

Once they edit content (censor people’s content e.g.) they are distancing from free speech and start to risk safely falling under the protection of section 230, which protects freedom of speech on the internet. Seems the ambiguity on this statute will be further updated in the coming future to place more responsibility on Google, FB, Twitter, and the like.

Peace
F2F

carson

Boogieman,

How do they have a monopoly? There are thousands of news sites. Tens of news channels on TV. Dozens (maybe even hundreds or thousands) of social media sites.

It sounds more like cry-baby stuff? "They don't let me post whatever I want!"

They own the site, so they can tell you to leave at any time.

Are you for government telling people how to run their businesses or for freedom?

X

xavier7995

It is rather ambiguous, and interesting to read the two takes on how section 230 should be interpreted.