What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminised F1 hybrids both ways

El Timbo

Out of interested has anyone tried making F1 fem hybrids both ways with the same 2 female plants? i.e., A x B and B x A - and if so did you observe any differences in the progeny?

Oregonism

I just posted this in cbd breeding but think it is applicable because you are describing a type of reciprocal cross.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Not tried it, but in theory, you should see differences. Not from the DNA but the mtdna

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have crossed reversed pre-98 bubba with White Rhino, and may soon be in a position to cross reversed WR with pre-98 bubba.
I'll keep you posted

Could you explain this theory please?

not an expert but mitichondrial DNA is inherited from the mother.

VG

G

Ok thanks - the PxM fem is no longer available but they do talk about differences in the progeny. There are different Malawis in each cross though...

Indeed!I had forgotten it,just was the first example that came to mind!

Dubi from Ace somewhere has mentioned about the difference in breeding his Zamal x Hashplant fem cross trying either way and alternate results in progeny...I'll try to find the piece.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
I have crossed reversed pre-98 bubba with White Rhino, and may soon be in a position to cross reversed WR with pre-98 bubba.
I'll keep you posted

not an expert but mitichondrial DNA is inherited from the mother.

VG

Exactly, the mtdna is responsible for the ATP, so the most vigorous female should always be the mother in a fem cross.

El Timbo

Exactly, the mtdna is responsible for the ATP, so the most vigorous female should always be the mother in a fem cross.

Are you sure? Always? And you say you've never tried it? I get nervous when people start using the always word :)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
I did also use the should word lol.
But unless there are issues like mixed sex flower sets, I would always say yes, always. Of course if there are issues with either plant, it should not be used as either parent.

G

Would this apply only to the vigour trait?What about potency for example?

El Timbo

I did also use the should word lol.
But unless there are issues like mixed sex flower sets, I would always say yes, always. Of course if there are issues with either plant, it should not be used as either parent.

Why do you say always use the most vigorous of the 2 as the mother? To what end?