What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Based Diet

Veggia farmer

Do you guys have to eat more or get hungry faster? I could never do it, I'm afraid I would lose weight and muscle.

I get hungry faster when Im on a plant based diets. So I eat more often. But hey, I often make this shakes that has a shit load of calories in them and they will make everyone stuffed.

Banana, oat, PEANUTBUTTER(!), cocoa( mass, fats all the left over from the wife chocolate making), and so on. If you want more heavy. Plant oil! I sometimes takes 30-40 g olive oil in it. Easily a 1000 cal in one shake...

Like my boys says, papa eats everything. I love good food, but never bitch about taste if its not good.

Imo weight is a little, naaah, hehe. Im slim and a light weighter, BUT Im stronger than many with many kilos more, Im honest no bragging... But my bloodsuger is more stable with 2-4 kilos more.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Ras Mokko it is. Wasn't sure what the bitter melon was when I picked it up :) Peach apple and pears all sweet. Australian mandarin tangerine.

troutman

Seed Whore
People would be so much healthier if there would be less salt and sugar used in food processing.
I wish Governments would force even a 10 to 20 percent reduction on all food processing plants.

Veggia farmer

I always heard people talk about too much salt, too much.. I dont eat a lot of processed food so I thought I shouldnt add a lot. Just small portion here and there. Years with that practice I talked with some people I worked with, heavy labor work, that I felt I could drink and drink and never got enough. They recommended salt! I forgot it for a awhile, years.. Then I was in a shop. Fruitsalt, AHA! lets try it...

Everything changed, one cup and I felt like I took a stimulant. Colors a lot more bright. I believe I was heavily under salted....

So, dont take too much but certainly do not take too little either! Salt is very important in many functions in the body.. So I have learned now. . .

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Do you guys have to eat more or get hungry faster? I could never do it, I'm afraid I would lose weight and muscle.
I don't notice being hungrier on this diet. I have replaced meat with beans, lentils and tofu, which are all quite filling. A lot of my dishes consist of legumes (chickpeas, black beans and lentils are my staple) and grains such as brown rice. You easily get your protein with this way of eating. There are even vegan body builders, and plenty of other athletes that eat this way. I personally know a few mountain bike riders who swear by a plant based diet.
I always heard people talk about too much salt, too much.. I dont eat a lot of processed food so I thought I shouldnt add a lot. Just small portion here and there. Years with that practice I talked with some people I worked with, heavy labor work, that I felt I could drink and drink and never got enough. They recommended salt! I forgot it for a awhile, years.. Then I was in a shop. Fruitsalt, AHA! lets try it...

Everything changed, one cup and I felt like I took a stimulant. Colors a lot more bright. I believe I was heavily under salted....

So, dont take too much but certainly do not take too little either! Salt is very important in many functions in the body.. So I have learned now. . .
I have very little salt in my diet due to not eating too many processed foods. Most people do eat too much as it is added to almost everything that's processed. But you are right. Salt is important especially if you do hot physical work.

Good vegan sources I use are some fermented foods like kimchi and miso.

St. Phatty

I don't notice being hungrier on this diet. I have replaced meat with beans, lentils and tofu, which are all quite filling. A lot of my dishes consist of legumes (chickpeas, black beans and lentils are my staple) and grains such as brown rice. You easily get your protein with this way of eating.

What I find myself missing is FAT.

Meat fat.

If I go without fat in my food, e.g. 73-27 hamburger, I notice it.

I think it's sort of like 3-6-9 oil. Might be related to absorption of nutrients.

Once I read about a Vietnamese man who solved all his health problems by abandoning the traditional rice based Vietnamese diet, and eating frogs. up to 35 frogs a day.

So, lots of organ meat.

Was in really good shape, his diet kept up with his manual farming.

How do you replace the fat and the organ meat good ness in a vegie diet ? The nutrients but from a plant source.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
What I find myself missing is FAT.

Meat fat.

If I go without fat in my food, e.g. 73-27 hamburger, I notice it.

I think it's sort of like 3-6-9 oil. Might be related to absorption of nutrients.

Once I read about a Vietnamese man who solved all his health problems by abandoning the traditional rice based Vietnamese diet, and eating frogs. up to 35 frogs a day.

So, lots of organ meat.

Was in really good shape, his diet kept up with his manual farming.

How do you replace the fat and the organ meat good ness in a vegie diet ? The nutrients but from a plant source.
Good question? I certainly eat less fat overall now that I am plant based.

Sources of fats for me are mainly nuts, fruit (like avocado, fresh coconut), oils (although I hardly use much), coconut milk, soy milk, dark chocolate, seeds (chia, sunflower), tofu and tempeh. Surprisingly some vegetables also contain omega 3 fats such as brussel sprouts.

I did miss that satisfied meat fat feeling for a bit, but honestly you get used to eating differently quite quickly, and no longer crave it.

I don't think I could do the Vietnamese frog diet though.:biggrin: Rice is such a part of the Vietnamese diet. The Vietnamese, as do a lot of Asian countries, tend to eat white rice rather than brown which is likely less healthy.

Last edited:

Cuddles

I have had MDs tell me that alkalinity will thwart cancer, so I add some bakng soda to my water. It prevents reflux, and I bet is good for the teeth.

As for plants, lacking some of the goodness from spinach (or beets) and other greens, is bad for an old guy like me. Nitric oxide in blood vessel walls drops from not having the minerals.

I bought a water ionizer some years ago, tastes better than baking soda :)

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
im glad there are meat alternatives but cant understand how people view them as a healthier choice. it couldnt possibly be more processed and that in and of itself is inherently more unhealthy than choosing actual meat.

Veggia farmer

I bought a water ionizer some years ago, tastes better than baking soda :)

When I first meet a biopat, he hooked me up on a vitatec machine and found out tons of stuff... One thing he said I shall do is to drink dobbel boiled water. I ofc ask WHY!? some free ion stuff, same stuff but through a different route maybe?

I got lots of calcium in the water here so I thnik Im good, but whats good for Mg naturally...? Could always buy a spray, but thats too easy:p

Veggia farmer

I have very little salt in my diet due to not eating too many processed foods. Most people do eat too much as it is added to almost everything that's processed. But you are right. Salt is important especially if you do hot physical work.

Good vegan sources I use are some fermented foods like kimchi and miso.

Spot on! When I first work, I WORK! So I sweat it all out. Summer two years ago we drank 5-7 L each working day, just during work. Probably up to 10L some days. Hard work from 7 until 20 in the evening sometimes, if the mood was good :party:

Fermented food is really good. Got some friends that has open a bakery with sour dough bread. Good. Get lots of free bread hehe.! wife is playing with kimchi:)

St.Phatty, not sure, are you talking about omega fats? Answear too that is legumes, atleast a loooong way!

My nation love the salmon. It easy also widely known for the omega fats, but the way we rais them with a cereal diet, well, not so much of the good stuff anymore. I rather eat grassfed cow then, but hey, plant based, legumes?

And what do you mean with : the organ meat good ness in a vegie diet ? Liver, kidney and that stuff you think about?

Cuddles

When I first meet a biopat, he hooked me up on a vitatec machine and found out tons of stuff... One thing he said I shall do is to drink dobbel boiled water. I ofc ask WHY!? some free ion stuff, same stuff but through a different route maybe?

I got lots of calcium in the water here so I thnik Im good, but whats good for Mg naturally...? Could always buy a spray, but thats too easy:p

I don´t know what a vitatec machine is unfortunately.

Double boiled water is from ayurverda medicine is it not? My mum used to do that. It´s said to be good for the digestive track if I´m not mistaken.

And no, it´s not the same thing as using an ionizer. A water ionizer separates the positive from the negative ions, so you end up with acidic and alkaline water separately.

I´ve been meaning to add this to my General Health thread but I´ve been too busy with work somehow...
I´ll be adding it tho, as well as magnesium oil

Veggia farmer

Vitatec is a machine that measure "everything" in the body. How active organs are, over/under worked.

In a stress period I drank "too much" coffee for "fake stamina" and Coffee came out negative for me. It can also measure it tissue is hurt.

He said with a grin: I see you have some damaged soft tissue on one of your balls..

Me: Yeah, my wife managed to kick me in the balls while we were fooling around a couple of weeks prior. :bigeye:

Probably digestive, since I came for that reason. But also generall toxity in the body. My lymph system was overworked too, it stalled. I know now that it very effected by a persons emotions...

What exactly do want with separating them, you drink one and let the other go? Im a little blank on the chemistry here...

I will check your thread.

Cuddles

I just got loaded with extra work ARGGH, but I will try to update that thread this week, maybe weekend or so

mexweed

Veteran
Mike Tyson gave up on being vegan when he started training he said it's impossible to be in the shape he's in without meat, mostly eggs

Owsley Stanley the GFD LSD cook ate almost solely meat and dairy, he believed it was key to his health, that too much fiber from plants and vegetables was hard on human digestion, and that he cured his esophageal cancer by starving the tumor of glucose

I've never done the raw diet thing, but they also push it for dogs and my dog throws up a lot less now that he's back on bagged kibble

kombucha and fermented foods are about as good for gut health as beer, very acidic, but it's also important to remember the stomach is essentially a vat of hydrochloric acid

when a live probiotic is introduced to the gut, the gut microbes wipe it out in less than 24 hours

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I don't know that I'd be getting my health advice from either Mike Tyson or Owsley Stanley (RIP). There are many athletes that thrive an a plant based diet. Many examples in the Game Changers documentary, but you can also google some good examples, both power and endurance. Of course they are great athletes who have a more conventional diet. Tyson is wrong if he says that you can't be in great shape on a vegan diet. There are many examples of athletes who have used this way of eating and claim improved performance, endurance, and injury recovery.

You can find people who claim benefits from a carnivore diet, and a vegan diet. I'm sure there are people who get short term gain from the keto diet. However, there is evidence that high meat consumption is not good for you long term. Most governments around the world have health advice, and most advise to eat less meat than we currently do, whilst increasing vegetables.

When studying this diet I did a load of reading and came to the conclusion that diet is extremely controversial. There are also huge vested interest from various sources; studies funded by meat and dairy for example that muddy the waters. I also watched a few documentaries that had great information, like game changers and forks over knives. But I am not naive and realise that they came from a particular viewpoint. Added to that are a lot of people who love their meat and will go to great lengths to defend their choice. I was struck by how badly some people have reacted when I've told them of my switch to vegan.

Gut microbes have been found to be extremely important for overall health. From my understanding a diet high in fibre is best for maintaining gut health. Guess where fibre comes from? Most studies I have read also advise eating fermented foods in moderation.

Article about vegan athletes if anyone's interested.
https://www.businessinsider.com/veg...et-11#kendrick-yahcob-farris-weightlifting-12

Fermented foods
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fermentation#foods

Last edited:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Actually the American heart association was founded by vegetable oil company Crisco and its all bullshit.. All heart disease studies based on epidemiologic studies, and cherry picked. Its all just marketing for healthcare profit. Our disease actually stems from carbohydrates and plants..

Fat is the most dense calorie available. You have Water soluble, and Fat soluble nutrients..
Ive been watching a cardiologist who supports high fat, meat based diets, and explaining the science behind it.. Very interesting stuff...
Just think of your veins like a rubber hose. Plant debri, and low fat causes the hose to dryrot and form scar tissue.... While plant debri called lectins leak from the gut into your cardiovascular system.

Also your adrenal gland is attached to your kidney and caffeine directly affects how well you filter toxins, and dramatically agitates your adrenals/heart.