What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old School Hawaiian Rainforest Guerrilla Harvesting

Lolo94

I am sure there were many ways this was done, but the method I was familiar with was pretty basic. For context, the timeline was over 25 years ago in the rainforest of upper Puna.

Side branches were cut and placed in 3 pli garbage bags with the stems facing up. These bags were the strongest you could find and were doubled. The top foot or so of the garbage bags was rolled so it could be tied to other garbage bags. Garbage bags were placed over the upper back and shoulders for the hike out. Because it was typically raining or the plants were moist, the bags were never completely filled. It was also necessary to rotate or spin the bags while hiking out to keep the buds from being compacted. This step was necessary or else they would never dry right. It also helped because the Uluhe (Hawaiian fern), Hapu'u (tree fern) and other miscellaneous vegetation would catch the outer bag and sometimes cause small tears. This simple step kept the bags from ripping too much. The bags were also rotated to different shoulders to minimize back strain while hiking

Drying was simple. Large fan leaves were trimmed and Branches were hung on a string in a sealed room. A dehumidifier was turned on low setting and branches were dried until they would barely snap. At this stage, the buds were cut off the branches and trimed. There typically wasn't much to trim as the plants were sativa or mostly sativa. The plants most successful in the rainforest environment did not have alot of small leaves and were not indica thick, as those tended to get mold either directly or from grasshoppers eating and pooping on them.

Trimmed buds were vaccuum sealed and stored for several months before opening and smoking. The finished product was typically tobacco consistency.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Interesting. Do people on Hawaii still grow old sativa's in rainforest?

There's a bit of rainforest in my part of the world but I have never contemplated growing there. I'm a bit old for guerilla growing these days.

Lolo94

I am not sure if people are still growing sativas (or mostly sativas) deep in the forest anymore. Times have changed. During the 80's and 90's, Operation Green Harvest was very active, and it took alot more effort to grow reasonable amounts. Now with a medical card, you can put plants out in the wide open.

The key to growing in the forest was finding spots with good air circulation, enough sunlight (direct and indirect) and within close vicinity to tall Ohia trees, but not directly under the drip line. being in close vicinity to the Ohia trees was important for camouflage as it made it harder for the plants to be seen and destroyed (typically sprayed) from the air. Local wildlife, mostly wild pigs but a few times feral bulls (that escaped long ago from the ranches) sometimes made things interesting. Considering that the environment (well over a 100 inches of rain per year) was not ideal, I was always pleasantly surprised with the quality of the harvested plants. They wouldn't win any beauty contests like today's pin up buds, but the high more than made up for it.
A variety of local Puna strains were initially tested (none with fancy names), and the survivors were crossed and used the following year. It was survival of the fittest at its finest. Plants that were thick and fluffy never did well due to rot/mold. The most successful and productive plants were those with very few small leaflets and where the bud calyxes would stack up tightly on one another.

TheFlyinHaWyn!

My oldest brother used to grow up Oshiro Road, waaay in the back. Same thing, harvest in trash bags, trim at his house. This was early '80s when i would stay with him as i was a young boy. He told me stories of growing the load in the late '70s, taking it over to Kona and quick drying it on the rocks. They would rent out 3 rooms at Uncle Billy's Kona. ! for party with the tourists, 1 for sleep and the last room would be him and partner's only where they would keep the pakalolo :D My brother get choke stories about that time, he was a Ganja Farmer!! Good memories, aloha a hui hou :)

prune

Veteran
It was survival of the fittest at its finest. Plants that were thick and fluffy never did well due to rot/mold. The most successful and productive plants were those with very few small leaflets and where the bud calyxes would stack up tightly on one another.

So, so much to be read into that one line. I wish a few of the seed "breeders" would take this knowledge to heart and fashion.

Lolo94

My oldest brother used to grow up Oshiro Road, waaay in the back. Same thing, harvest in trash bags, trim at his house. This was early '80s when i would stay with him as i was a young boy. He told me stories of growing the load in the late '70s, taking it over to Kona and quick drying it on the rocks. They would rent out 3 rooms at Uncle Billy's Kona. ! for party with the tourists, 1 for sleep and the last room would be him and partner's only where they would keep the pakalolo :D My brother get choke stories about that time, he was a Ganja Farmer!! Good memories, aloha a hui hou :)

Classic story about Uncle Billy's. :biglaugh: Stayed there plenty times, when we would paddle on the west side.
Oshiro road was even wetter than the area we used to plant (several miles up the hill.), especially Mauka. I bet your brother's got great stories. I had family that planted in the 70s also, and some of the stories was just nuts. Puna was like the wild wild west back then . I sure do miss talkin' story and rollin some up at the beach with friends and family. Malama Pono HaWyn.

Lolo94

So, so much to be read into that one line. I wish a few of the seed "breeders" would take this knowledge to heart and fashion.

Unfortunately, it seems like it's too much about looks, and the size of buds nowadays. The easy way around it is vaccum seal or cobb it, then it all looks the same.
I kinda laugh when I hear all the complicated selective breeding tips. Back then, it was simple. Start with alot of seeds (many times more than would be harvested) of as many different types of local strains possible, and let the males lightly pollinate the plants. Seeds of those that did the best were planted the next year. The first season was kind of a crap shoot as far as how many did well, but after that it was easy to see which traits would do the best in that environment.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Did any of the guys dry onsite , or nearby ??

its always easier to carry out dry bud and its not damaged at all that way ..

we used to build a canvas tent in the rain forest and use propane burners to dry the product , did some of the guys where you are also use this method ,
im sure its been thought of before we did it ...

Lolo94

Did any of the guys dry onsite , or nearby ??

its always easier to carry out dry bud and its not damaged at all that way ..

we used to build a canvas tent in the rain forest and use propane burners to dry the product , did some of the guys where you are also use this method ,
im sure its been thought of before we did it ...

We never dried onsite. The hike to check on the plants and get back typically took all day. Always just wanted to get in and out.
How long did the drying process take?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
We never dried onsite. The hike to check on the plants and get back typically took all day. Always just wanted to get in and out.
How long did the drying process take?
it really needed a week ,

but was able to be handled in 4-5 days and could be taken home at that point to further dry and trim ,
the 9 kilo gas bottles lasted around 4 days depending on how high you had it burning ,
it took a lot of bottles in and out , some folks wouldnt want to carry those i guess , 22 kilos all up ...

i have carried lots of wet weed prior to that , man thats quite a mission , no envy for folks having to do that uphill like i had too do ,, lol ..

Lolo94

it really needed a week ,

but was able to be handled in 4-5 days and could be taken home at that point to further dry and trim ,
the 9 kilo gas bottles lasted around 4 days depending on how high you had it burning ,
it took a lot of bottles in and out , some folks wouldnt want to carry those i guess , 22 kilos all up ...

i have carried lots of wet weed prior to that , man thats quite a mission , no envy for folks having to do that uphill like i had too do ,, lol ..

We were lucky in that we never had to hike that much up hill. There was a slope but nothing too steep. Although kind of fun, It was definitely bust ass work. No way I could it now. Too old and too out of shape.

The only time we almost spent the night in the forest was when wild pigs came through and destroyed a section of the trail so much that we couldn't recognize where we were going. We ended up going in circles for a long time before making it out somehow at night. It's amazing how much damage the pigs did. If they found the plants, they would strip them to a stem. The pigs didn't seem to like the Uluhe fern because they always left the plants grown close to them alone.

Unlike many Puna growers, we were lucky to have fertile soil and not to have to haul in the soil and grow in bags. All that needed to be added was greensand, rock phospate, lime and chicken manure and slow release fertilizer.

Wuachuma

I have a friend in Humboldt who has been growing all over Hawaii for decades. Now, he has an oldtimer friend who started in the 70's who lives on the far west side/islands and its pretty wild on his property. Anyway this oldtimer only grows sativas - his favorite has been Thai - and he has been loving the sativas I've been breeding.
So, there definitely are sativas and pure sativas still being grown on the islands. While many contemporary growers try to run fast flowering plants to beat the environment, Ive found myself in PNW and Cali to embrace the environment and grow more on the sativa side. When I was in Washington (48 deg N) I would let my sativas sit outside, uncovered, in full nonstop rain from Sept throu November and cut on Dec 1st with no mold/rot. Yet the kush hybrids would start molding past Sept.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Haiku KooKoo - It tasted like tangerines and berries.
haiku-kookoo-a-jpg.18085479

haiku-kookoo-jpeg.18128320

haiku_kookoo_b-jpg.18128321

Hawaiian Sativa strain that was African in origin - circa 1984 - Oahu, windward side, short season stunter's. During the long season, this strain was easily capable of growing over 20 feet tall, with main stems that had the circumference of trees. It was a strain that had acclimatized itself to its environment, having been exclusively grown by a very select few for many years.

Operation Wipe Out Patch.jpg

RMS

:smoweed:

Last edited: