What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

gaslighting

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Here's a good example of Gaslighting/Spin, those protesters in Rochester were the good guys and the elderly diners were agitators who invited The Bulldog over for a drink, "The beer that was consumed was an offer. The glass that fell was a mistake.'":rolleyes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...on-sparked-men-shouted-Blue-Lives-Matter.html

BLM protesters who screamed 'f*** the white people' at Pittsburgh diners and drank their beer insist they were NOT the aggressors and the elderly couple 'invited them for a drink' after they were 'harassed'

Anti-racism protester said a confrontation with diners in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, started after a group of men shouted 'Blue Lives Matter' at demonstrators
One of those men reportedly swung a bike at people during the confrontation
Nique Craft, who was filmed drinking an older couple's beer, said the couple invited Craft over for a drink and to discuss the situation
Lorenzo Rulli noted that video did not show agitators who harassed anti-racism protesters
Protests against racial inequality and police brutality continued across the country on Sunday night
In Rochester, New York, a man was struck by a vehicle during a demonstration over the death of Daniel Prude
In Portland 59 people were arrested overnight Saturday - setting a record for protest-related arrests so far

PDX Dopesmoker

One time back when I lived in Tucson I was evaporating the solvent out of a two gallon cooking pot on a triple boiler in a coconspirator's kitchen and I wanted to check the fluid level, but I couldn't see through the mist of evaporated solvent droplets. I was as high as could be of course and it would've been just three steps to walk over to the light switch to get a better view of the situation, but my stoned lazy lizard brain already knew I had a light source in my hand. So before I could realize how stupid I was, I flicked my bic over a cauldron of sizzling ethanol to see what I could see and of course the vapor immediately caught fire. A big ball of flame started in the air directly over the cooking pot, singed my eyebrows and then rapidly followed the vapor up to the ceiling, a wave of flames about two feet deep rapidly rolled across the ceiling and out the kitchen window and screen door. Nothing caught fire, the hash oil was just fine, there weren't even any witnesses, but I learned my lesson about lighting and gas for sure that day. That was over a quarter century ago and as far as I know I haven't had a lab accident or even a near miss since, one vivid memory like being face to face with that fireball seems to be enough to shock any sane person into safety consciousness for eternity, hopefully I'm one of those people.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
so somehow attacking people with a car becomes ok to you?

Many old pot heads end up miserable and embittered at the end of life, cast typed by their own unchallenged limitations.

It is a reflection of their own barren humanitarian nature.

Best thing is because they feel this way they feel they have a right to express it.

We have a right to shit ourselves too, doesn't mean it is the best way.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
........ they won, but couldn't sustain the win even with the help of the City hauling away their sh*t! :biggrin:

Be careful what you wish for. :tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
here is a little Something sent to me by a colleague today, food for thought..........

--------------------------------------------------------

Gaslighting

Have you ever asked yourself, ‘am I crazy?’ If you have ever asked yourself that, you’re not crazy. You’re most likely being gaslighted. Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse aimed at controlling a person by altering reality to the point where the person will doubt their own sanity.

The term “gaslighting” comes from a 1930’s play called Gas Light. The main character in the play literally tries to drive his wife crazy by gradually dimming the gas-powered lights in their home. When she notices the lights dimming, her husband not only denies that the lights are dimming, he convinces her that she is imagining it to the point where she questions her own sanity.

We are living in a perpetual state of gaslighting. The reality that we are being told by the media is at complete odds with what we are seeing with our own two eyes. And when we question the false reality that we are being presented, or we claim that what we see is that actual reality, we are vilified as racist or bigots or just plain crazy. You’re not racist. You’re not crazy. You’re being gaslighted.

New York State has twice as many deaths from Covid-19 than any other state, and New York has accounted for one fifth of all Covid-19 deaths, but we are told that New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has handled the pandemic better than any other governor. But if we support policies of Governors whose states had only a fraction of the infections and deaths as New York, we’re called anti-science and want people to die. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy? No, you’re being gaslighted.

We see mobs of people looting stores, smashing windows, setting cars on fire and burning down buildings, but we are told that these demonstrations are peaceful protests. And when we call this destruction of our cities, riots, we are called racists. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy? No, you’re being gaslighted.

We see the major problem destroying many inner-cities is crime; murder, gang violence, drug dealing, drive-by shootings, armed robbery, but we are told that it is not crime, but the police are the problem in the inner-cities. We are told we must defund the police and remove law enforcement from crime-riddled cities to make them safer. But if we advocate for more policing in cities overrun by crime, we are accused of being white supremacists and racists. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy? No, you’re being gaslighted.

The United States of America accepts more immigrants than any other country in the world. The vast majority of the immigrants are “people of color”, and these immigrants are enjoying freedom and economic opportunity not available to them in their country of origin, but we are told that the United States is the most racist and oppressive country on the planet, and if we disagree, we are called racist and xenophobic. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy? No, you’re being gaslighted.

Capitalist countries are the most prosperous countries in the world. The standard of living is the highest in capitalist countries. We see more poor people move up the economic ladder to the middle and even the wealthy class through their effort and ability in capitalist countries than any other economic system in the world, but we are told capitalism is an oppressive system designed to keep people down. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy? No, you’re being gaslighted.

Communist countries killed over 100 million people in the 20th century. Communist countries strip their citizens of basic human rights, dictate every aspect of their lives, treat their citizens like slaves, and drive their economies into the ground, but we are told that Communism is the fairest, most equitable, freest and most prosperous economic system in the world. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy?
No, you’re being gaslighted.

The most egregious example of gaslighting is the concept of “white fragility”. You spend your life trying to be a good person, trying to treat people fairly and with respect. You disavow racism and bigotry in all its forms. You judge people solely on the content of their character and not by the color of their skin. You don’t discriminate based on race or ethnicity. But you are told you are a racist, not because of something you did or said, but solely because of the color of your skin. You know instinctively that charging someone with racism because of their skin color is itself racist. You know that you are not racist, so you defend yourself and your character, but you are told that your defense of yourself is proof of your racism. So, we ask ourselves, am I crazy? No, you’re being gaslighted.

the paragraph about racism is well worth repeating. literally, all my life i was told not to judge people by outward appearances, to treat everyone as id want to be treated. but now some shmuk on the interwebs i don't even know, wants to tell me he knows me better then i do myself? fuck em! they are probably projecting anyway.

X

xavier7995

If the pedestrian has the right of way, why do I have a bumper?

Because sometimes god damned mountain lions jump in front of you.

Still shook over that, went hiking Saturday and I sure did a bunch of checking over my shoulder.

Serious posting...we have lived in different worlds for a while now. Not sure what to do about it, but there are at least two realities. We surround ourselves with news, entertainment, friends, etc that mirror whatever and reinforces it. Then you look at the other side, they seem crazy, beliefs and tribalism gets further entrenched as your team backs that same view. To hit upon a lovely meme, no one views themselves as the baddies.

h.h.

Veteran
Many old pot heads end up miserable and embittered at the end of life, cast typed by their own unchallenged limitations.

It is a reflection of their own barren humanitarian nature.

Best thing is because they feel this way they feel they have a right to express it.

We have a right to shit ourselves too, doesn't mean it is the best way.
In a parallel universe, we are shitting ourselves.

Gry

In a parallel universe, we are shitting ourselves.
In this one, we are fortunate the water has not been privatized completely,
so we are still able to wash our rear ends.
No group has been treated worse by the United States than First Americans.
No group has a higher enlistment rate than First Americans.
They care enough about the country to be willing to stand up against the
oil industry to protect our aquifers.
The oil industry responded by manipulating the government to put a law through which basically gave a pass to a driver if they hit a protester.
https://www.lakotalaw.org/