What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to transplant autoflowering plants outdoors (and other questions)

Guerrigliero

Hello people, i'm thinking about what to do for the outdoor 2018 season and i'd need some advices.

1: First of all, i know that transplanting autoflowering plants isn't advisable, but let's imagine theorically that i need to transplant them from the pot on a terrace to the ground in a garden... how would you do it?
Which would be the less stressful way and time?
I think it would be advisable to move them away from the terrace when they start to smell, for security reasons, but would it be too much stress in flowering stage?

2: For example let's imagine that i have a limited number of small auto plants, let's say 4 plants, 1 meter high (3,3 feet), on a terrace.
Would they smell enough to be detected from the neighbour's terrace, 10 meters (33 feet) far?

3: This is a non-autoflower related question, i hope it's ok to ask it here.
If i wanted to clone a plant and keep the clones in veg on the terrace until they are 40-50-60cm (16-20-24 inches) high before taking them outdoors, which pot size would be the right one?
7-11 liters? (2-3 gallons)

4: Water crystals for outdoor plants, how many per liter (or gallon) of dirt to make sure the plants would survive outdoors 1-2 weeks without being watered?

5: I'd like to use "Biobizz Light Mix" for my pots, but where i live it's easier and cheaper to find "Composana", is it similar or the seedlings/cuts would suffer overfert?

Thanks in advance for the answers and suggestions, have a nice day.

burmese

its best to work with plants in early morning to zeroed stress actions with photosyntetic activity.
1 do it in days of roots by moon phase,
2 replant earlier the better ,minimal 4weeks before harvest to end position if you have fear
3the bigger pot the better //those 1 week of sommer heat minimal 50liter pot//
anyway good luck to your future grow
//you have the same condition on terrace and garden so practically zero stress but sometimes...//

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1: First of all, i know that transplanting autoflowering plants isn't advisable, but let's imagine theorically that i need to transplant them from the pot on a terrace to the ground in a garden... how would you do it?
Which would be the less stressful way and time? Start with your pot you intend to harvest...no transplanting

Would they smell enough to be detected from the neighbour's terrace, 10 meters (33 feet) far....depends on strain, but probably, yes.

which pot size would be the right one?
7-11 liters? (2-3 gallons)
11-15 liters.

Water crystals for outdoor plants, how many per liter (or gallon) of dirt to make sure the plants would survive outdoors 1-2 weeks without being watered?
Use as directed on the box for photos....half that amount for autos.

I'd like to use "Biobizz Light Mix" for my pots, but where i live it's easier and cheaper to find "Composana", is it similar or the seedlings/cuts would suffer overfert? Probably hot....cut it with sand/clean soil.

Guerrigliero

Thanks for the suggestions!
So i need to find alternative solutions:

1: would be ok if i move the plant AND the pot together to another location, right?

2: would be ok if i limit the number of plants to 1 or 2, the quantity of smell would be lower, increasing my security?

3: ok

4: ok

5: would be ok if i put 2 different layers of dirt in the same pot?
i'd put the fertilized dirt in the bottom of the pot and the light mix on top, so the roots would reach the fertilizers when the plant is already some weeks old.

thanks again for the suggestions, i'm not ashamed to admit i still have a lot to learn and my strategy is "if you dont know it and can't get the info by yourself, ask someone who knows more than you" :D

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1: would be ok if i move the plant AND the pot together to another location, right? Yes.
would be ok if i put 2 different layers of dirt in the same pot?
i'd put the fertilized dirt in the bottom of the pot and the light mix on top, so the roots would reach the fertilizers when the plant is already some weeks old. Sounds too laborious...try it. Better, my opinion, to have dirt mixed...

Each grow you'll see how plants respond. Take notes...see what works, what doesn't.

Guerrigliero

thanks for the suggestions!
the right climate and the right moon phase will be the second half of march, i have 2 more months to learn and i'll surely have other questions

layering soil messes with drainage and washes nutrients out of the bottom layers before the plant can reach it. Plus, you can't control when the plant starts to access those hotter layers. Better to have a nice mix that you're comfortable with and amend it as needed.