What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bleach in coco...fungus gnat larvae

Raw710

Hi I am wondering if I can get some good insight from you veteran growers if bleach will kill fungus gnat larvae and if so what is the application? Thank you

kingCA

I'd recommend mosquito dunks or something with BTi. Super easy and works well.

I've found compost teas to work well at nuking gnats as well, but isn't as much a permanent solution.

MickFoster

I have tried the 4:1 H2O2 method and it didn't even affect them. I did a drench with Gnatrol BT 3 times in 10 days and it killed them dead.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have tried the 4:1 H2O2 method and it didn't even affect them. I did a drench with Gnatrol BT 3 times in 10 days and it killed them dead.

Gnatrol is pro grade stuff. I get them periodically in my organic soil mix. A single application to wet the soil at 1 tbsp/gal whups the hell out of them. 3 applications a week apart is recommended for heavy infestations.

I tried to eradicate them completely a couple of times but it's just impossible using organic ingredients. When I see more than a few on the fly strip in the enclosure it's time for a beat down.

Raw710

Gnatrol is pro grade stuff. I get them periodically in my organic soil mix. A single application to wet the soil at 1 tbsp/gal whups the hell out of them. 3 applications a week apart is recommended for heavy infestations.

I tried to eradicate them completely a couple of times but it's just impossible using organic ingredients. When I see more than a few on the fly strip in the enclosure it's time for a beat down.

Yea do you think the gnatrol works good as a preventative measure? And how long does it stay alive in the soil if it does?

Jhhnn

Veteran
Maybe I will have to try the gnatrol. Is it expensive? Have you ever tried tanlin?

Yea do you think the gnatrol works good as a preventative measure? And how long does it stay alive in the soil if it does?

Gnatrol isn't really expensive-

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gnatrol

500g is ~1 quart, 70 tablespoons or so. 1 tablespoon in 1 gal of water treats three or four 5 gal pots effectively.

I suppose it could be used as a preventative on a schedule but I've never really used it that way. Once I found gnatrol I quit looking for anything else. Works great.