What's new

Selective Pollination Outdoors

Viral505

I understand to carefully paintbrush collected and stored male pollen onto a selected female about week 3 in flower when there are plenty of newly formed white hairs, and to also do this on the lower branches during a day when there is hardly any to no wind.

I've heard of some people covering their newly pollinated branch/stem with a bag, either plastic or paper allowing some breath-ability. I've also heard to spray the branch down with water the next evening after 24 hours or so to keep the pollen down.

I would like to come out with mostly sensimilla across my garden, everything is in vegetative right now, and the male is isolated and spitting pollen while I'm collecting and storing it in a film canister (old school method, since the outdoor flowering cycle here is only about 2 months away from starting)

Only problem is most of these posts I've found have all been on indoor grows, and I really don't know how the plant will react to a plastic bag being over the branch in full on New Mexico sun in the middle of August or so. I may roll with the liquor bottle paper-bag and use a newspaper rubber-band to tighten it off, the bag should allow breath-ability... something I'm concerned with a little bit.

Has anyone had any experience in "selective pollination outdoors" and coming out with mostly seedless bud? (of course excluding the selectively pollinated branches)

I really don't like the idea of pollen chucking, because I really don't want seeds in all my girls, I'd like to try to keep every bud I didn't choose to pollinate seedless in other words. :)

Teh_Baker

I have done this before outdoors. I used a moist q tip instead of a paintbrush and it worked beautifully. I didnt even bag the branch, just mark it so you remeber which one. Of 3 plants i pollinated, i ended up with 10, 12, 14 seeds all on one branch each. The rest of the plant didnt have a single seed to be found. Just remember, low branches, and a single light dip into your pollen goes a long ways

Viral505

I have done this before outdoors. I used a moist q tip instead of a paintbrush and it worked beautifully. I didnt even bag the branch, just mark it so you remeber which one. Of 3 plants i pollinated, i ended up with 10, 12, 14 seeds all on one branch each. The rest of the plant didnt have a single seed to be found. Just remember, low branches, and a single light dip into your pollen goes a long ways

Right on dude, thank you very much for the info. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts