What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to tell sex of seeded plant.

Hello fam,
How can you tell the sex of the plant growing from seed?
I usually take a cut to clone then bloom it to find out. I know how to look for hair and button leaf that the plants show but I'm not 100% sure as the last time I guess wrong growing from seed. This is my first year outdoor growing from seeds, I don't have time to and space to do what I normally do. Help.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Google: "Cannnabis preflowers"
and you'll find many pictures of early male and female preflowers

Usually preflowers start showing up around 40+ days from germination, thou some plants can show sex even faster.

You may need a 30x magnifying glass/loop to see the preflowers this early. Later you can see them without magnification.

R

Rubber Chicken

Huh?

I'm not sure what you mean look for hair and button leaf?

And saying you take a clone and then bloom it to find out....., again?

If you know how to tell the sex once they start to fully flower, the preflowers are the same just not in clusters like normal flowers.

Females have the white hairs (pistils) and males have balls (can't remember the right word).

Hope it helps.

rolandomota

Veteran
Sometimes you cant tell and have to wait a week or two more to find out but yes after 6 weeks start looking. I have seen what i thought were male preflowers that end up being female plants a few days later so be careful wait for the hair (female) or ball on a stick (male) at 6 to 8 weeks from seed

Rubber chicken- Lol don't remember what they call the male sack so I just quoted it as button leaf. Sorry for the confusion.

Meadowman- I'm running regular Bodhi gears and some other so no feminized.

I wanna be sure what is what to avoid plugging male plant into the final pot.

ayatayo

6 weeks for preflowers? this is for a "very sativa" cultivar (even more for 100% sat); most nowadays "strains" show preflower at 4 weeks max...

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Sometimes you can tell what the sex is going to be by the growth structure. If you are growing a bunch of the same variety maybe one will be a lot taller and lankier. That should turn out to be male. The females tend to be shorter and the nodes (where leafs come out) are stacked closer together. Start looking at the 4th true node for preflowers and you probably need a magnifying glass. At this point you have a lot of time left before the male is big enough to throw pollen and screw up the crop. I know you have space limitations, but the plants will be pretty small when they throw preflowers.

PDX Dopesmoker

These days you can send off leaf samples to of sprouts and have them sexed less than two weeks after you wet them down. I have a sexed female from a regular seed growing currently, its about 5 weeks on & I learned it's gender two weeks ago.

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna take a look with that 16x microscope when I get home. Hopefully that will help identify the males.

ayatayo

precision

precision

6 weeks for preflowers? this is for a "very sativa" cultivar (even more for 100% sat); most nowadays "strains" show preflower at 4 weeks max...

After more than 10 yerars growing, I sexed my seed plants by pre-flowers for the first time during last year's session. Strain was “Jabba'stash” from Bodhi seeds; a kushy/indica dominant strain. Sprouted on august 4th, showed pre-flowers on september 29th.. That's 25 days. Less than 4 weeks...hence my former statment......

My actual session is with "Walkers sours" from Archive seeds, which is much less indica dom, they just started showing pre-flowers, at 6 weeks exactly (41 days from sprout) as stated by others in this thread....

Now, sexing by pre-flowers really rocks! Mainly because you only up-pot the females...also, no need for microscope or X16 etc....a regular loupe is just fine (like X7 or X8).....