What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is coco superior to rockwool?

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
coco tastes better

In comparison to chewing up a rockwool cube it's probably easier to swallow :) Coir as na rule needs more stuff to get set up growing in hydro so when they go the shop the guys chat enough sh*t after all it's their job to sell more stuff than needed & not give tip's. That's illegal. I'd sooner throw out a few cubes than all them 20 ltr pots worth of coir & bring in more bags for 2 lamp commersh.

For anything over 2 lamps upto 30 lights I'd use the same plant numbers but change the game rules..

When you look @ it like 8 plants can yeild what a few hundred would it's a no brainer :) 8 plant grow is the rule of thumb, over 27 & your in the next bracket

Mudraya

In over a decade with coir, I've had it fly in my mouth a few times when handling and it tastes like salt/matchstick tips with the texture of a dry, finely ground muesli. Mmmm tasty :). I have yet to taste rockwool so who knows you might be right Hazy! But seriously....no.

I'm somewhat in the middle on my view, I don't think media has no affect on taste, but media is the lesser one of multiple factors affecting it. I believe nutes, supplements, not overfeeding, water quality, environment, temp and a proper flush are more important.

Rondon

I use both mediums and I dont "flush" at all. I think its another placebo effect and/or over fed forum myth. But I do taper my EC strenghts down towards the last week (actually last 3 to 5 days before buds are at peak ripeness - cultivar dependant ). I go from 1.5 to 1.8 EC (again cultivar dependant) down to 0.7 to 1.0 EC over the course of the last 5 days. And I do this manually with my water wand/tank/and pump as I believe its more complete than using the drippers/manifold. I always have that extra tank with a manual water wand in any of the roons Ive built for backup and applying anyting that needs complete substrate coverage manually. You cant beat a water wand on spray mode. My runoff EC usually matches input by the time of chop. But I wait another day with no fertigation to get a good dry down for harvest reasons. Cant wait to get my Dosatrons. Iam not looking back either.

Mudraya

I like to run 9 plants per 6/750 Gavita (x8). I use Flo Tool plastic oil drip pans (2 bucks auto zone) for run off trays all plumbed together with 1/2" grommets and barbed fittings with lines to my basement sump well. GroPro NX Level plant grate/risers fit perfect in these saucers to keep rockwool out of spent solution while it drains. Run off automation. With a simple drip manifold up top. With the 1/2 " line and spaghetti tubing. With Uni Slabs and the suacers and grates I got the lowest clearance I can get and still have automatic feeds and runoffs (fuck a shop vac for them saucers - been there done that) in a low 7 foot basement and still get away with double ended Gavitas. Double endeds are BRIGHT as hell and I suggest they not be used in anything less than 8 feet (even the 6/750's). I had to ditch my tables and frames just because I lost valuble inches. With plumbed together saucers and unislabs with a 4 inch block I got the lowest clearance your gonna get with full automation on the feed up top and the runoff down below. I also recessed my Gavitas in between the basement floor (ceiling) joices. Than god they were a perfect fit. Gaining me almost another foot in clearance. I hear of growers using double endeds in tents and for the life of me I dont understand how they get away with it.

How tall are the plants btw I don't think you mentioned...?

I just automated my drainage recently with a basement watchdog hooked up to a little giant bottom draw and the T fittings coming out of the drain trays are 1" above the floor, wouldn't have it any other way again unless I was in a warehouse. Auto watering makes them TALL usually, but next run I'm going to experiment with steering to see if I can get them to focus on reproductive growth when they are the height I want them.

Last edited:

Rondon

My plants are around 28 to 30 inches at chop time max. But WIDE. I top and train and foliar spray kelp in veg while they build a strong root system. 6 to 9 plants will cover a 4x4 under a 6/750 Gavita depending on strain. I got a ton of different stock mother plants at another location but I only like to run 4 max at any one run and 2 and 2 I like to have similar in structure. My yields take a little hit multi strain growing but Iam a caregiver and my patients like variety. I have mono cropped both rooms (other room is 4x1000 single ended and I run both full bore in winter. I Shut down 4x1000 watt room in peak summer and focus on outdoor.) and crank out the buds Anyways..I wish I could mono crop more because I crush it in yields but my patients arent having that. Its getting to be a pain in my ass paying this outrageous electric bill every month. And I want 8x 630 watt cmh fixtures to go in my Gavita room. One for every one ratio. I have the space and ac can handle the heat load but I been looking into the led thing lately. Pricey but these things have come a long way from being the scam they once were. That HLG 550 has me VERY INTERESTED. Its an investment though.

Mudraya

My plants are around 28 to 30 inches at chop time max. But WIDE. I top and train and foliar spray kelp in veg while they build a strong root system. 6 to 9 plants will cover a 4x4 under a 6/750 Gavita depending on strain. I got a ton of different stock mother plants at another location but I only like to run 4 max at any one run and 2 and 2 I like to have similar in structure. My yields take a little hit multi strain growing but Iam a caregiver and my patients like variety. I have mono cropped both rooms (other room is 4x1000 single ended and I run both full bore in winter. I Shut down 4x1000 watt room in peak summer and focus on outdoor.) and crank out the buds Anyways..I wish I could mono crop more because I crush it in yields but my patients arent having that. Its getting to be a pain in my ass paying this outrageous electric bill every month. And I want 8x 630 watt cmh fixtures to go in my Gavita room. One for every one ratio. I have the space and ac can handle the heat load but I been looking into the led thing lately. Pricey but these things have come a long way from being the scam they once were. That HLG 550 has me VERY INTERESTED. Its an investment though.

A friend put a big investment in CMH and I think he is in denial because of it, I didn't really like the results, be it yield or plant structure. They looked amazing in veg though! I've always kind of felt that led was also a bit of an expensive rabbit hole in regards to flowering/fruiting plants. I'd love to be proven wrong one day though on the AC/electric savings alone.

Totally agree on the mono cropping. Always better, but tastes are fickle and people love (or need in the case of medical) variety.

Latest posts

Latest posts