What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is coco superior to rockwool?

STFU

Talked to some peeps down at the grow shop today and they have completely spun my head around. Saying that this coco stuff is just plain superior to rockwool in every way. Could anyone enlighten me? Im going to start reading this forums from the top down. Starting with the stickies.

scurred

yeah everyone here seems to love coco, even the heads seeds and reservoir seeds breeders have switched to it and promote it

what i like about it is the simplicity... its a hydroponic soilless medium that you can water by hand, use with a drip system, or some other type of irrigation system. so you can keep it simple, or rig up a fully automated system.

don't have to worry about pumps failing and stuff.

but i have never tried coco or rockwool so i cant comment on the comparison, but i too have been researching coco for awhile now and like what i've read and the results i've seen

R

rick shaw

Coco coir is a renewable medium,it can be reused,is compostable/recyclable,you can get it compressed so it is easier to carry,has a better water retention,is it cheaper then rock wool and it has the same cation exchange. A simple test to check for quality is to flush distilled water through the coco and measure the runoff. Tried it once didn't go back

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I agree with the above posters, yes in every way. Better for the environment, healthier product to make, and much cheaper/more portable (compressed bricks are COOL.)

I even clone into coco/perlite, I can generate a tray of cuttings for about $0.50 of coco, vs $8 a slab for rockwool cubes. So now I do tons of extra clones cuz they're damn near free to make!

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Never tried rockwool, and probably never will for coco is simply great (and way more eco-friendly than rockwool) !

Irie !

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could anyone enlighten me?

Coco is usually more expensive to run,, but has a better taste than NFT

Otherwise the cats at the shop will usually tell you anything,, if they stock it!

(normally ,, a bunch of ****s , the lot of them!)

peace

STFU

Haha yah thats for sure. Seems like every time I go in (which is rare I go with a list of shit i need) they have some sort of new product that is a must have for my grow. But all this talk of coco is getting me excited. I've heard that some types of coco husks may have too high salt content. But I assume you would only get screwed this way if you bought coco that wasn't specifically marketed for growing. I've seen bricks sold at stores and I've always wondered how much water would it take to fully expand one of those bricks? Im trying to figure out if I need a bathtub to get the job done or a large trashcan etc. Thanks for all the responses guys

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Haha yah thats for sure. Seems like every time I go in (which is rare I go with a list of shit i need) they have some sort of new product that is a must have for my grow. But all this talk of coco is getting me excited. I've heard that some types of coco husks may have too high salt content. But I assume you would only get screwed this way if you bought coco that wasn't specifically marketed for growing. I've seen bricks sold at stores and I've always wondered how much water would it take to fully expand one of those bricks? Im trying to figure out if I need a bathtub to get the job done or a large trashcan etc. Thanks for all the responses guys

Most all coco except the expensive bagged stuff needs to be flushed before use. Sounds like a pain in the ass(and it kind of is), but it allows you to 'charge' the coco with the proper nutrient levels and the plants love it.

The bricks take about a gallon of water to moisten and expand into about 2.5 gallons of medium(pick the biggest bricks at the store and you'll get more for your money... not sure why they are slightly different sizes). I like to expand the bricks in a 5-gallon bucket and then flush the coco in the containers that I am using for planting. Flushing one brick properly takes about 4 gallons of solution.

ambertrich

Veteran
STFU, it would depend on how much you need. A brick takes about 3/4-gallon of water to expand and gives 8 or 9 liters of expanded product. A five gallon bucket works great for this. Once it has absorbed the water you will need to break up any large chunks by hand but it is easier than breaking dirt clods.
I just expanded a 5kg block and I used one of the plastic mixing tubs from Lowes(the ones you see people using for DIY ebbnflow setups-the larger one24"x36" roughly). Put the block in, add around 5 gallons of water and let it soak it in and expand and break up into a uniform mix. That 5 Kg block fills that container just a couple inches shy of the top (70 liters or so). It filled 15 1 gal smart pots, plus 3 x 3 gal smart pots plus still have some left over and had used some already.
And that block cost $10 from the local hydro shop. As long as you don't have diseases/infestation of the coco it can be used again up to 3x's.

Get yourself a brick of a good quality product (Botanicare or GH for bricks) for a couple bucks and give it a try on a small side project. I promise you will be hooked if you do.

HERES THE FACTS:

Rockwool more stable, consistent, no bugs, less prep, etc etc...

really only beenfit to coco over wool is that it is re-usable... both are HIGHLY oxygenated mediums that will end in the the same results.. There is no better currently information that is FACT than that LOL.

COCO has some antifungal properties that some say make it a better choice than wool as you can use beneficials that you can't use in wool, but you can sterilze wool which is arguably as effective as a myco laden rootzone, per the proper nutrient ratios and levels being available to the plant.

For me coco wins because of its forgiving nature.

If I am away for the house and miss a day of watering (or two. . . or three) everything is okay. With rock wool on an automatic drip system, if a pump fails, or a hose breaks. that's then end of your grow.

I still use rock wool for cloning though, but many people report better results with cloning in coco as well. I'll have to try it some day.

Lain

Benefits of Coco vs Rockwool (External Link)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/282260-benefits-of-cocoa-fiber-vs-rockwool/

------------------------------------------------

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=201293

Good coco starting point:

http://www.integralhydro.com/cocoscience.html

-Coir has a very strong cation exchange ability, which means it can hold and release nutrient elements based on the plants needs.
-Coir tends to release potassium and to withhold calcium.
-Coir tends to retain nutrient salts. because of this, less nutrient (lower ec) is required.
-On a less positive note, coir can also contain high levels of sodium (salt)....If your growing in coir be aware that this can be a potential problem.
-Either purchase a pre-flushed coir product or flush ph (5.5-6.0) stabilised water through the coir prior to use.
-Measure the ec of the water and then measure the ec of the run off. When they are the same, it is ready for use.
-Large amounts of potassium are naturally present in coir.
-Potassium competes with calcium and magnesium... buffering and plant nutrition needs to compensate for this!!

-------------------------------------------------

This is the basis of a killer coco regime imho:
(Stuff in italics is what I use)

1. Base Nutrient - I prefer Canna Coco A+B, Hesi and H&G are also good. As long as it has a suitable NPK and a full range of chelated trace elements it will work in coco, I've used all kinds of stuff with success, even Tomato Feed.

(GH Micro/Bloom 6/9 H3ad Formula)

2. Seaweed Extract - I like Vitax, Maxicrop will also do, plenty of trace elements, aminos, vitamins etc.

(Floralicious Plus)

3. Humic/Fulvic - my current preference is for DutchMaster Max Bloom as it also has phospholipids giving it an NPK of 0.114-2-3

(Rare Earth/Floralicious Plus)

4. Liquid Silicon - AN Barricade is the most concentrated, I've used several brands with success

(Rare Earth)

5. PK Booster - Canna PK13/14 is good although I find AN Hammerhead gives a little bit more resin.

(GH KoolBloom Liquid/Dry)

6. Molasses - Enhances flavour, acts as chelating agent, feeds good microbes, has trace elements and a fair bit of K, just fantastic stuff.

(Crosby's Blackstrap Molasses)

To me that is all you need to produce top notch product in coco, handwater daily ensuring at least 15% runoff, keep PH around 5.7-6.0, just don't need to complicate it beyond that.

Mr.Tortoise

Not necessarily transferable but for what it's worth, all the tomato greenhouse growers where Im from switched to coco from rockwool. With them bottom line is increasing yield and minimizing cost, so if everyone switched you know damn well there is a reason.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
hahaha seems like we have reached a consensus

coco>rockwool

I buy the expensive pre-washed canna and Bcuzz coco brands

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The stacks of unused rockwool cubes and strips in the closet tell the story. ;)

Coco all the way, no question about it. :respect:

STFU

Well I just realized that I posted this question on the coco forum so the responses that have been received are less than surprising. Haha well thanks guys I really appreciate everyones input.

Latest posts

Latest posts