What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks Zitz,

The first initial selection of the ethiopian sativa plants was done indoors, the seed production and testing of the offspring too.

The main parental plants we use to produce this first ethiopian release were also tested outdoors past season to check how they perform outdoors in a non tropical climate (37ºN latitude).

Hope it helps with your doubts.

Zitz

Thanks for the reply Dubi, my experience with the strain matches the Ace description - its one of the clearest sativas with no raciness or heart pounding as can be found with Durban and Malawi individuals, as you know.

I read the strain originally came from the tea growing area in Tanzania - and the buds do have a slight tea aroma when cured.

Zitz

I'l add this for anyone interested in growing this strain outdoors - the African seeds original description of her doing well in cooler climates is correct - also good mold resistance.

In the ground with ample space she will yeild more than most sativa's due to her wide xmas tree structure - really long lower limbs without being gangly like some Thai/S.E Asian strains.

Also prepare to give the buds a long cure to get the most out of them - like many landrace it can burn a bit hot until it is thoroughly cured.

earthwyrms

since it doesn't have a heart racy effect, it reminds me of the description for the laos luang prabang, that seems like a good cross.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like another one I will get. I think it goes without saying, but this strain leaves you pretty well normal after touchdown? The clear, non racy sativas all seem to have this desirable effect.

As I get older I want a high that does not leave me feeling foggy after I come down. Do not have the energy to push thru the 'fog' anymore.

Zitz

since it doesn't have a heart racy effect, it reminds me of the description for the laos luang prabang, that seems like a good cross.

Sounds like a good cross to me, Im not familiar with the Laos, but would was under the impression it would be similar to Thai (exciting/racy), so that is interesting that it has a calmer effect.

ahhhhhh I couldn't find "Ethiopian highland" with a search but Ace still has. My bad Zitz lol {rep comment}...

This one is gonna concretely go on my list when I order, I'm wondering maybe another recommendation for similar non-racey but straight soaring uplifting motivation... I'm thinking Oriental Express, congo, Ethiopian, and some Nirvana Maui Wowie.... The congo #3 x Ethiopian sounds solid if you need a tester for that one!

Reading again, Tikal, Guatemala are probably my best bets too, might have to wait on the Maui Wowie, and just go for all Ace gear anyway.

Hi Dr.Y I saw your comment but cannot respond yet (nearly 50 posts).

If you do any crosses with those I think Eth x Orient express would make a nice hybrid, the eth improving mold resistance and the O.E improving flower time, just a thought...

Sounds like another one I will get. I think it goes without saying, but this strain leaves you pretty well normal after touchdown? The clear, non racy sativas all seem to have this desirable effect.

As I get older I want a high that does not leave me feeling foggy after I come down. Do not have the energy to push thru the 'fog' anymore.

I feel the same lol, and yes the Eth wears off clean - can leave you in a dreamy state but not fatigued like (some) hybrids.

48N

This strain sounds very good to me, it fits all my criteria
I read the description and my head went bing bing bing bing haha
Will it still be available next year or do you have to get them soon?
anyway if not there a plenty of nice Ethiopia hybrids
I'm interested in the Congo and zamal/Mauritius crosses
Hope some gonna be available next season
Can you tell me which pheno of zamaldelica was used?

ULMW

ETHIOPIAN OUTDOORS IN ADDIS ABEBA 2017

ETHIOPIAN OUTDOORS IN ADDIS ABEBA 2017

picture.php

Greetings Dubi and ACE SEEDS , am really impressed with your works and will be soon making an order to try a few of your amazing sativas this year. I have been growing Ethiopian both in Ethiopia for 7 years and outside of Ethiopia for a couple of grows now indoors. So If I can be of any help in any way, am pleased to meet your acquaintance and strengthen one another in these garden works.
I look forward to hearing from you and perhaps sharing a few photos as my grow comes along with the Ethiopian I have now. Have a great day and thanks again for saving the seeds that save the breeds. More Life!!!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you have the real deal there^^, must be nice eh? If you could say something on how you feel being stoned on it or anything on growing it, that would great too.

thejact55

Awesome plant ULM. Really makes me antsy to get popping the ethiopia seeds I just got from Ace.
How are the smells?
How long is the flower time compared to Ace's 14 week or so recommended time?

I wood

Very encouraging thread, thanks to all who have added to it and Ace for make by these seeds available.

I was innocently browsing the ace seeds site and saw only two packs of Ethiopian left.
African strains have eluded me so far so I sprung into action, signed up and have Ethiopian and several others ordered with payment on the way.
Ace seeds have been causing me much jealousy over the years and I have waited as long as I could for them to be available locally but could not wait any longer. The small risk of border crossing was assumed and hopefully I'll be growing some ace keepers soon.
Is it wrong to get a boner from ordering seeds?

Thanks again Ace seeds for the magical sativa smorgasbord, and very reasonable prices too.

ULMW

Gretings one and all and tganks fir the replies and interest I am not always online much so apologize for slow response.
Ethiopian landraces are a 12 hour on Light schedule all year round. Rainy season falls and dry seasons focus farming attention. As far as I see and read the Ethiopian Highland and Ace Strains are all pretty much like the mama sativa that grew in Ethiopia lowlands where Shashamane is located ir Awassa in hot humid ecosystem all of its own and upto Arba Minch where it gets hot enough for sour sops and tamarind plants and other heat loving plants.
As a member of RasTafari I spoke to the pioneer Jamaican settlers who reached and farmed ganja fir sacrement use. First arriving in Addis at what is today Taitu hotel Bro Flippins grew in 1972. He even recalled getting thai seeds sent over later in 70s and 80s. I was told that Afghani came in to bring hash production up as business was available in neighbouring sudan amongst arab communities if good hash was around. Then as more settlers reached Shashamane in the south 250km south of Addis Abeba in the Rift Valley. Pakistani chitral and hashplants became popular too.
These were then crossed against the landrace sativas to increase yield and speed up harvest time. Various Jamaican and Dutch strains have also been sown along with herbs from Tanzania, Kenya all being inter mixed. However the farmers report always the sativa landrace dominance will return to most hybrid crosses after 3 to 5 years of growing it in Ethiopia. sounded like they were saying the dominance of the local landrace is so adapted that the others struggle to take hold in crossing and remain unstable. Saying this it would make for good sense to say these landrace Ethiopians are very good breeding stock. 10 thru to 16 weeks depending on plant . The one in the photo was my first un planned grow in Ethiopia and thus came as a joy to behold. She popped up out of a soil I made out of manure ,red clay soil and black dirt. Not the best drainage so added a few pebbles to speedit up. fed her a tea of manure from local animals that passed by outside.She ran hef tap root down then to the side and took up as much as she could from the soil which was dumped onto an area reserved for a carpark by the landlord but I chose to make into a garden so to speak with raised beds and wooden planks securing the structres. It yielded a huge amount of herb that I cured for a good month before tasting. She is very earthy, woody, aromatic like a cigar, incense and some lemon terpenes too. It is a pleasing and rich smooth smoke leaving you elevated and meditating on positive thoughts more so than not. Also more ish and gives incredible appetite and munchies . Really social and communal share with a friend vibe. Easy going and still het stuff done. Some spacyness at time and time passes by with periods of peaceful mellowness that will keep all enjoying. Like all good landraces sativas give less and pay attention to her and you will get so much more in reward. Cure her for 4 weeks minimum before sampling then she just gets better and better. Compared to the commercial and mass grown herbs in Ethiopia the Ethiopian I have grown in Europe indoors admitidibly has been quiet a bit stronger effect and appearance so much finer. But that is down to grower needs and how they therefore handle the herbs.
Hope this helps answer a few q's and I look forward to seeing how others get their Grows going with Ethiopian.

Lammy

Thank you for sharing that information. That is very informative. It's amazing that you can talk to so many different people from around the world on this website.

ULMW

i did for 7 years. now in EU and only get to enjoy occasionally from friends and family in ET and the ET community here.