What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bipolarity and hallucinogens -anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runt

Jo: Prohibition is 90% politics and that is sad. We've been lied to about many things and mostly they all connect to politics, big business and religion.

My THC tolerance is waaay down, cut my tincture dose by 75%. Probably the lithium blocking channels in my neurons.

Not crazy yet. Hope I never really was.

Green Squall

Jo: Prohibition is 90% politics and that is sad. We've been lied to about many things and mostly they all connect to politics, big business and religion.

My THC tolerance is waaay down, cut my tincture dose by 75%. Probably the lithium blocking channels in my neurons.

Not crazy yet. Hope I never really was.

Don't be discouraged if you start feeling like crap. Psych drugs can have hardcore, long lasting withdrawals.

Runt

GS: Today is a downer and I am, somewhat, discouraged. I don't feel well and I need to cut out weed too for awhile..and maybe booze. If this get's much worse I'll needto re-evaluate.

Runt

GK: I know a few who´ve done yage and they feel it has been a balancing thing, a friend dose LSD three times a year for depression and research data from the 60-70´s shows many benefits in treating psychiatric illness etc. My brain is resetting big time, anxiety is the worse and the increased pain levels aren´t making things any better. If worse comes to worse I´ll abort "the mission" -I might be crazy but I ain´t stupid :)

dddaver

Veteran
I have been watching this discussion and just decided to throw in my 2 cents , FWIW.

Everybody just wants to do whatever it takes that might make themselves feel better. That is why a lot of us use weed, because we are self medicating. And that also explains a lot of the "drug abuse". People are just self medicating trying to make themselves feel better.

This is all is especially in light of the big pharma dilemma too, that really seems designed to not only keep people sick so they can continue to make more money, but they also literally make people sicker.

I think you have a pretty good handle on what is helping you anyway Runt, and what doesn't too.

In your case particularly, I really have to hang with GK. Mental problems, and bipolar and hallucinating specifically, are pretty serious conditions and are NOT going to be fixed by taking more psychoactive, recreational drugs. It is my opinion you need to clean out your system and that appears to be exactly what you are doing.

That's for now anyway. I think if you want to introduce more later, fine. Drugs can be fun. Just do it one thing at a time, and slowly. Like vape for a couple weeks and see how you feel. Again, you seem to have a great handle on that. And only YOU are your own best judge of what it is you need anyway.

But as for the yage thing, I think you are considering delaying, even canceling. I think that is a good idea. But again, that is just one guys opinion.

Runt

First off I want to thank you guys for the feedback and the concern, I´ve read all your posts and feel that you are writing out of compassion -that means a lot right now.

I think my mood is balancing out a bit, morning anxiety and some OCD symptoms (forgot that dg) but manageable. I´ve talked too some docs I trust and they feel I can give it a try as long as I don´t expect a miracle AND as long as I´m able to stay off antidepressants.

According to my wife I´m a bit overactive but not in a bad way, I guess age has taught me something and I´m getting a lot of support from friends and family.

Ayahuasca is in no way a recreational drug, bucket list thing etc, I feel that for the first time in my life I´m actually trying to take control and not just chugging meds. I´m eating better...well trying anyway :), trying to exercise even though my joints are killing me and really trying to keep a positive attitude. Not easy, in no way easy but if this doesn´t work I´ll just accept my fate and go back on lithium/Xanax.

Life could be a lot worse. For many people it is.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
hello runt :)

where in South America are you going to for the Yage?

I may have tips for you or at least give you a heads up on what to expect regarding the customs of people, climate, geography, etc...

peace!

Runt

bombadil: We´ll be visiting Peru, Iquitos area, and staying at a retreat for two weeks doing a personal healing program. I´ve researched the place and they have a god rep, responsible people and not a tourist trap.

dddaver

Veteran
Dude, I ain't no shrink, and I don't really know what lithium can do to you. But I do know that my doc (DO internist) won't prescribe Xanax to his patients anymore because them getting off it was too harsh. So if you are off it, and unless you think it can be a HUGE help, I think you are better off staying away from that shit.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
bombadil: We´ll be visiting Peru, Iquitos area, and staying at a retreat for two weeks doing a personal healing program. I´ve researched the place and they have a god rep, responsible people and not a tourist trap.

oh wow, Iquitos! cool place for sure. it is like an island in the amazon, surrounded by huge rivers, no way to drive there, unless you carry the car in one of those big boats. I actually have a friend that was born and raised there, but now lives in NYC; I have a fair share of "crazy" stories from there that I collected from him.

there's a town there that is called the Venecia of the amazon, since you have a season in the year that one of the rivers floods the whole town, and the houses float on the water, or are built on high stakes called in spanish Palafitos; people move around in little boats during the wet season, and during the dry season usually on scooters hehehe...

the place is infested with motorcycles btw, you'll see.

be careful with petty thieves though, don't leave your stuff unattended. but apart from that, the people are really nice, at first can be a little shy and reserved and it may look like they are not friendly, but it is all show, they are pretty cool.

their 'brew' is pretty strong and legit I hear from buddies that went there and drank yage (yage is usually the term used in Colombia btw, not ayahuasca, don't know in Iquitos if it has a different name).

just keep in mind to watch what you are thinking about, from now on; there's really nothing to fear, if the Shaman is a real 'seer', he'll dose you with something that will send you to sleep if he sees the real brew is not for you; if he gives it to you, just surrender to the experience.

I don't even know you and I'm very excited for you that you have chosen Iquitos, only there and in Colombia would I dare to drink the brew.

keep us updated please, this sounds like it is going to be epic!

much peace, good health and strength to you and yours!

Runt

ddaver: Xanax has a bad rep and used carelessly it can give you problems. i´ve used a steady dose 1.5mg daily for over twenty years and haven´t had any problems, going off Xanax wasn´t a problem, leaving SSRI´s can be hell for months -tingling sensations, dizziness, "electrical" stabs etc. Xanax probably saved my life in -91. Lithium is a different story, no one knows it´s actions exactly but it inhibits certain channels in the neuron membrane, acts on serotonin etc -a so called "dirty med" but a good stabilizer.

bonbadil: Sounds very exciting and thanks for sharing. I´ve trvavelled in third world countries (sorry for the expression) quite a lot and know how to keep my cool and be careful without fullblown paranoia...I think!

dddaver

Veteran
ddaver: Xanax has a bad rep and used carelessly it can give you problems. i´ve used a steady dose 1.5mg daily for over twenty years and haven´t had any problems, going off Xanax wasn´t a problem, leaving SSRI´s can be hell for months -tingling sensations, dizziness, "electrical" stabs etc. Xanax probably saved my life in -91. Lithium is a different story, no one knows it´s actions exactly but it inhibits certain channels in the neuron membrane, acts on serotonin etc -a so called "dirty med" but a good stabilizer.

bonbadil: Sounds very exciting and thanks for sharing. I´ve trvavelled in third world countries (sorry for the expression) quite a lot and know how to keep my cool and be careful without fullblown paranoia...I think!

Thanks for the info man. That description is pretty much spot on with what the quack said about it.

Sounds like a cool place though from what bomb says about it. Sounds like You might wanna investigate into the seasonal weather patterns there though before you go.

And I myself would be extra cautious about drinking anything that was handed to me, by a Shaman or whoever.

It sounds like a cool trip whether you go to trip balls, or whatever. Just the fact of going there sounds stress relieving in itself.

I like seeing different cultures. I've seen a few of 'em too, all over the world, in my career in the Air Force. Sounds similar to the countryside in rural Korea where I was the only "big nose" for miles while visiting my wife's family. She's gone now. The memories remain.

NUTRITION is important big dawg. Try to make sure you're getting the vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients your body needs, as this will really help your frame of mind, in the day-to-day. Keeping it simple, i just eat fruits (like mangoes, or whatever you enjoy) sometimes a bit of salad, and make sure my "fuel reserve" doesnt drop too low, and that basically keeps me stable. Good luck brother.

Stinkymutt

Strange reading this as I was offered ayahuasca very recently by a guy who has been seeing a shaman for 3 yrs now. He had severe ptsd after returning home from war and found the treatments to change his life. But anyway Im bi polar and was wondering about yage as well. I ended up not doing it but will do more reading about it to possibly try the experience in the future. Will deff. check back in here
peace
Mutt

Runt

Nurtrition is a big part of this, I´m now on fich oil capsules, D3 50ug, magnesium and cutting down on read meat and pork (trying anyway). The week before I leave will be pretty spartan -no salt, no spices, no alcohol, no cannabis and no sex...and no sex during the retreat or a week after. Not getting laid for a month will be weird but I am taking this very seriously so I´ll abide by "the law".

Stinkymutt: I´ll go first and if I have any benefits you´ll hear about it :)

Stinkymutt

Right on Runt , The man with yage left to go home today . He was only here to see his sister get married . But he left enough here for about 8 people he said. I dont know if Im willing to go off my meds long enough to try it . The abilify I can handle without but I need Depekote . So Ill see how your experience goes and maybe Ill clean my system and experience for myself ? And yes Zanax is a bitch to get off. Effexor which they had me on for over a year was bad too. And to top it off I should never have been on effexor , made me have manic episodes

Green Squall

Right on Runt , The man with yage left to go home today . He was only here to see his sister get married . But he left enough here for about 8 people he said. I dont know if Im willing to go off my meds long enough to try it . The abilify I can handle without but I need Depekote . So Ill see how your experience goes and maybe Ill clean my system and experience for myself ? And yes Zanax is a bitch to get off. Effexor which they had me on for over a year was bad too. And to top it off I should never have been on effexor , made me have manic episodes

Congrats on getting off the Effexor. They say that med is the hardest to get off. They don't call them the Devils TicTacs for nothin.

Runt

Efexor is a bitch quitting, Xanax is probably pretty easy in comparison. I´d want an experienced person leading any yage sessions, it´s a strange and powerful medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.