What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Advice for Young Folks

G

greenmatter

yeah we know it aint fucking fair (why do you think we are so pissed off?) ..... deal with it

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Son you already learned all the things you need for life.

Source: "ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN" by Robert Fulghum.
ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN
(a guide for Global Leadership)
All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sand pile at school.
These are the things I learned:
  • Share everything.
  • Play fair.
  • Don't hit people.
  • Put things back where you found them.
  • Clean up your own mess.
  • Don't take things that aren't yours.
  • Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
  • Wash your hands before you eat.
  • Flush.
  • Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
  • Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
  • Take a nap every afternoon.
  • When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
  • Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
  • Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
  • And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.
Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.
Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world - had cookies and milk at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.
And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1) Things may seem like fun right now,but what noone ever tells you .When you get older ,you will have to deal with alot of boredom,in your lifetime.

2) Respect is something in life that's value is priceless

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Go to school. Get your diploma as a lawyer, doctor, or in engineering, any engineering discipline, Thanks me in 30 years.
Also-quit thinking you're all that. It'll that you a while to discover you aren't.
-Respect give /take. Treat people with respect even if you feel it isn't given back to you. Respect has to be earned. It's not just freely given.
-If they are going to give you a job. DO IT. They pay you not only to show up but to know every aspect of it. Know your job, details, all aspects of it but not to the point that you THINK you know everything. If you think you know everything you'll miss things you should have caught. Work ethic is almost a thing of the past with young people anymore.
-Partners no matter your sexual orientation. The pretty ones are always nice. But many times not what you want to stay the long haul with. Beauty defiantly helps but what is inside of a person is the key. Shallow on the outside shallow on the inside. You want someone who shares your values, goals, and interest. Not someone who is a drag on your nuts after a couple of years.
-Be trustworthy. Keep shit to yourself. Do what you say you will do. Keep quite what you're asked or told to keep quite. Become known as a person that can be trusted to keep their word and pull their weight.
-Don't make excuses or blame others for your fuckups and shortcomings. People see right through that shit.
-Be dependable. You can be anyone in the world you want to be. But if people can't depend on you to do what you need to do you ain't shit!
-Learn to listen to others and learn from them, both good and bad.
-Learn patience. A little goes a long way.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
^^^^ all good advice.. But I like to look at life more as a journey.. So Fuck...Fuck... Fuck and grow stinky erb..everything else is a waste of time..

nukklehead

Go to school. Get your diploma as a lawyer, doctor, or in engineering, any engineering discipline, Thanks me in 30 years.
Also-quit thinking you're all that. It'll that you a while to discover you aren't.
-Respect give /take. Treat people with respect even if you feel it isn't given back to you. Respect has to be earned. It's not just freely given.
-If they are going to give you a job. DO IT. They pay you not only to show up but to know every aspect of it. Know your job, details, all aspects of it but not to the point that you THINK you know everything. If you think you know everything you'll miss things you should have caught. Work ethic is almost a thing of the past with young people anymore.
-Partners no matter your sexual orientation. The pretty ones are always nice. But many times not what you want to stay the long haul with. Beauty defiantly helps but what is inside of a person is the key. Shallow on the outside shallow on the inside. You want someone who shares your values, goals, and interest. Not someone who is a drag on your nuts after a couple of years.
-Be trustworthy. Keep shit to yourself. Do what you say you will do. Keep quite what you're asked or told to keep quite. Become known as a person that can be trusted to keep their word and pull their weight.
-Don't make excuses or blame others for your fuckups and shortcomings. People see right through that shit.
-Be dependable. You can be anyone in the world you want to be. But if people can't depend on you to do what you need to do you ain't shit!
-Learn to listen to others and learn from them, both good and bad.
-Learn patience. A little goes a long way.

wow resin.. bringing this to my next employee meeting.. you dont smoke that funny stuff do you ??? I hear it makes you kinda smart. anywho that is one of the most prolific posts I have seen

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
Eat more salads
Be yourself, but less annoying
You can't expect to function on less than 16 hours of sleep per night
Television is a great way to avoid interacting with your family
Bring an extra pair of socks

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you have 2 ears and one mouth,you should be listenin twice as much as ur talkin.

dont worry about havin some sweet ass ride while ur still living with mama.

reality tv aint real.

cherish your family.

its okay to be pussy whupped if shes a dime ;)

sometimes luck is better then skill.

the rest is classified :D

peace-T-

G

greenmatter

when you fuck something up (and you will, it's part of the game) accept it, own it and get your mind around it. admitting that it was a mistake on YOUR part is the key to learning a lesson. don't make a habit of blaming all your problems on everyone but yourself, life is a long series of fuck ups and there is a lesson in every one of them. you have to learn from the last one to get to the next one

Some sage advice here. One more thing,stay healthy.Take an interest in it.Your body works fine now,however,it will rebel in the future.

A very good diet and a great exercise regimen will allow you to enjoy the later years without a lot of the aches and pains associated with the geriatric crowd.

Save cash,but don't obsess over it.

Don't take yourself too seriously.No one else does.

If you are selfish with your time,do not have children.Get that shit snipped.If you do have kid's,I don't want to pay for them.Be responsible.

Plan for your retirement now.Invest in a piece of property that you will retire on some day.

Beautiful women.......nah,I'll just let you learn this on your own.You gotta figure some shit out on your own.lol