What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A5 s1 - Koon's wannabe Dutch experience

Sensiman12

Hi guys,

sensiman, sorry to hear about your trouble with a5, maybe try shortening the photoperiod to 11/13 and reduce N in the feed. She seems sensible to N and has some issues with uptake.

LostTribe, thanks man, hopefully your plants will respond better to 11/13 as mentioned, mine are under 11,5/12,5 schedule and will get a reduced day length after 4-5 weeks.
As mentioned in earlier posts, i feel this plant line is spoilt with commercial grow nutes and lightning, probably having everything delivered easy she has trouble with different substrates and spectrum. The compost tea made a huge difference, the soil microbes help her get what she needs and hopefully she will behave for the next 10 weeks as i expect her to finish fairly early(11-13wks).

All the best

Hey Koondense,
They're currently at around 600-700 ppm and they've been on 11/13 since i put them into flower. Salt base but with biomineral additives that really don't effect the ppm. Growing in 50/50 coco perlite and they get a microbe feeding every 10 days which really hasn't helped unfortunately. I'll post up a few pics later today when i get home. They're under a 315cmh with bleed over from a 1k SE hps. But i will say they're in 1g pots as i started them small but they grew quick and turned into a bush in the first 3 weeks but still only about 4ft tall.

Koondense

Veteran
A5s1 is looking good, still in constant fade mode(looks pale) so I applied some compost tea to see if it helps in mid flowering.

A night view of A5s1
picture.php

I fear budrot every time I see her, the structure is tight and leafy for a 50% hazeA hybrid and there was very little stretching in early flower(ha-ha RoyalFlush ;) ), the constant gradual loss of in-canopy fan leaves is scaring me and urging to defoliate a bit for more aeration, so I might do it next time.
Overall looks better than I hoped for in veg so I'm happy with her. The smell is very low almost non existent which is not a bad thing, certainly better than loud buds.
Keeping some clones and still undecided what to do with them right now, she's not a keeper in my eyes.

Cheers

Yo Sammy

Veteran
Hi Koondense,
A5 is a very sensitive hybrid.
She needs richer Nitrogen feedwater compared to other haze hybrids, especially comparing her with Haze C hybrids.
She defo do not like chilly temps and needs abundant fresh air. She is also very mould sensitive so try to keep humidity to a minimum.
She also packs solid nuggets which doesn’t make things easier preventing botrytis.
To make her shine is not easy peasy.
Hope this helps for future runs.
Nice work nonetheless!

G

She is indeed a bitch to keep happy.Mine is only considering to start flowering after 3 weeks 11/13 .Also got quite a few variegated leaves.
Good luck man!

YukonKronic

Ya mine looked similarly yellow for last half of cycle.. about to hit 15 weeks and they’re pushing resins now.. probably 2-3 weeks left at most.. maybe less for a couple. Fwiw mine also lost enough leaves to make me cringe and check for crotch rot every two days but so far despite very tight and biggish buds and some mold pressure (terrible year for humidity up here) they don’t show any actual infections..
I think your getting more resin than I did that early on so that’s promising!

Koondense

Veteran
I didn't update much this grow, somehow I don't love this particular plant. She's too much of a diva for me :)
Anyway she came close to finish but I decided to chop her at 11,5 weeks because there was some budrot appearing and spreading fast. The weather is a gamble, very humid all day and 100% humidity at nights, also temperatures dropped and never reached 20C during the day. this means the end for the diva and meanwhile her sativa friend finished as well at the same time.

A5s1 pre chop
picture.php

picture.php

The resin production is good but she lacks terpenes big time. The smell is very low, some hints of floral bitterness, like a typical NlHaze plant smelling from in the background.
I know she would grow better under proper conditions but considering my grow style she did pretty well after all. By the looks she will produce a good amount of buds.
I have some clones but will not keep them, maybe in spring or next autumn I might try growing her again from seed but don't count on it.
Also I don't want to give a final verdict until I smoke some buds and feel if there's more to it than it seems.

Thank you KG for the chance to try these seeds!

Cheers

AeroKush102

Hold on.... You guys had a little trouble from a little haze and suddenly you're throwing in the towel? Okay, first off... are you guys running dehumidifiers at 50%? Secondly, living soil that is actually living with organisms, and fungi harvesting from it will give you what you need to grow anything. What's all this N - talk, and EC levels? Y'all better learn that real connoisseurs get it out the dirt. Meanwhile, why aren't those leaves praying instead of curling downwards? She looks like something is irritating her, like a bug (such as aphids or mites, or a miti-cide). Next, I can't see the light, but did you check the meter? Then, what are you feeding it?

You can't take a great strain like this and subtract grower error and act like the strain is a stress in your life. Cannabis solves problems, not create them. Some beneficial nematodes will solve the curling leaf, and dehumidifier will spunk up the stems for denser weight. Look alive fellas. You got a world class plant in your room and... don't worry I'll order it myself.

So... how do I get free seeds of A5Haze?

Koondense

Veteran
Hey AeroK,

as in all my grows there's ZERO environment control. meaning no humidifiers, no dehumidifiers, heaters, coolers or whatever. Organic soil for the most part and salts for troubling individuals. This particular plant had her issues and i cared for her quite more than i did for any other of my plants. You can trust me she's not an easy one to please. That's why i have these seeds on hold for better times, when i will be able to take care of environmental factors which play a very important role in easing the divas like the A5.
The leaf curl was constant not a response to feeding but a trait of this individual, curled with zero N and with too much N, had trouble with uptake so salts helped a lot. Temperatures were 5-10 degrees off for most of the time. Oh, and a medium gnat infestation from start to finish.

And despite everything, the A5 still produced a lot of pretty tight buds which look damn good, as can be seen in the last pics.

The towel is only drying after being washed, awaiting better conditions in the next round. Maybe in spring2021? Nobody knows.

Cheers

need4weed

Veteran
You gotta remember that this strain was bred in the days when 99.9% of people wouldn't have even known what terpenes were. I dont recall tasty sativa at all back in them days. Most of it was harsh as fuck, but fuck me we had some wild rides on the old time weed

Koondense

Veteran
You gotta remember that this strain was bred in the days when 99.9% of people wouldn't have even known what terpenes were. I dont recall tasty sativa at all back in them days. Most of it was harsh as fuck, but fuck me we had some wild rides on the old time weed

This is a very interesting point, i did not think about it. Thanks for bringing it up, i hope the strength will confirm it :)

Koondense

Veteran
Teaser alert! :)

Yesterday i tried the A5s1 by KarmaG, just dried i snipped a tiny side bud from the dry plant, mixed 50/50 with tobacco in a small J.
Damn this thing is strong!
I feel it's the strongest weed i've ever grown, interesting how she lacks terpenes but has such high thc.
The bud had to be opened and ground to feel at least some smell... there is a mild earthiness with a distant haze freshness in the background, nothing more than that.
The smoke tasted kind of sharp and spicy, felt pretty rough and bland. But...
On the exhale there was some church frankincense smell which was really specific and strong after a few tokes. The room was totally full of frankincense aroma which was almost pungent and lasted for long.

The effect i have to explore but had a very quick onset and must say it felt like a proper drug. Can't explain more in depth but i felt this strong facial numbness and some tingling with confusion and a tiny bit of potential paranoia. I think if unprepared this weed can get you by surprise and get you stoned to the bone, completely useless and waiting for the effect to pass. For someone with higher tolerance it would still be a blast but not so scary.
Soon it will get a cure in glass and i hope will somehow develop a bit of smell which it lacks... so a full report will come eventually, this was just a teaser If you want a very strong herb with high thc and lots of frankincense in the air, the A5s1 is the one!

Thank you KarmaG for the seeds, it's definitely the real deal for anyone in search of the old school weed to blast your brain properly. Thanks also to Nevil, Sammy and everyone involved in creating and preserving the A5 line.
Gotta try the Nevil's haze one day.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
I'm happy to describe the buds i like, you're welcome browntrout.

Just yesterday i was thinking about this lady and decided to try the A5s1 again this year as i feel i learned some valuable tricks on how to provide more of what the plants need. This one was a struggle but will not be a struggle again, watching the hydro guys, Sammy and thinking of hybrid feeding makes me want to grow her again asap. Well realistically could happen in q3 2021.

Cheers

browntrout

Veteran
I'm happy to describe the buds i like, you're welcome browntrout.

Just yesterday i was thinking about this lady and decided to try the A5s1 again this year as i feel i learned some valuable tricks on how to provide more of what the plants need. This one was a struggle but will not be a struggle again, watching the hydro guys, Sammy and thinking of hybrid feeding makes me want to grow her again asap. Well realistically could happen in q3 2021.

Cheers

Any tips you want to share? I have A5 s1, killer A5 Haze, BA#75 going for seed run now. Seem to hate LED lighting, the A5 s1 is a bit variegated.

Yo Sammy

Veteran
Teaser alert! :)

Yesterday i tried the A5s1 by KarmaG, just dried i snipped a tiny side bud from the dry plant, mixed 50/50 with tobacco in a small J.
Damn this thing is strong!
I feel it's the strongest weed i've ever grown, interesting how she lacks terpenes but has such high thc.
The bud had to be opened and ground to feel at least some smell... there is a mild earthiness with a distant haze freshness in the background, nothing more than that.
The smoke tasted kind of sharp and spicy, felt pretty rough and bland. But...
On the exhale there was some church frankincense smell which was really specific and strong after a few tokes. The room was totally full of frankincense aroma which was almost pungent and lasted for long.

The effect i have to explore but had a very quick onset and must say it felt like a proper drug. Can't explain more in depth but i felt this strong facial numbness and some tingling with confusion and a tiny bit of potential paranoia. I think if unprepared this weed can get you by surprise and get you stoned to the bone, completely useless and waiting for the effect to pass. For someone with higher tolerance it would still be a blast but not so scary.
Soon it will get a cure in glass and i hope will somehow develop a bit of smell which it lacks... so a full report will come eventually, this was just a teaser If you want a very strong herb with high thc and lots of frankincense in the air, the A5s1 is the one!

Thank you KarmaG for the seeds, it's definitely the real deal for anyone in search of the old school weed to blast your brain properly. Thanks also to Nevil, Sammy and everyone involved in creating and preserving the A5 line.
Gotta try the Nevil's haze one day.

Cheers

Great report brother! Thank you!
You prolly can imagine why this kind of herb was so exceptional in the ‘90s in Holland.
Almost everything available back then was very much indica leaning, not bad but completely out of range compared to A5’s potency.
In those days alcohol consumption was still allowed in coffeeshops so when we passed A5 spliffs around you could see some people go very bad causing all kinds of crazy accusations we laced this weed with acid and such nonsense.
Great memories :biggrin:

Last edited:

chiesesganja

Hi Koondense,
A5 is a very sensitive hybrid.
She needs richer Nitrogen feedwater compared to other haze hybrids, especially comparing her with Haze C hybrids.
She defo do not like chilly temps and needs abundant fresh air. She is also very mould sensitive so try to keep humidity to a minimum.
She also packs solid nuggets which doesn’t make things easier preventing botrytis.
To make her shine is not easy peasy.
Hope this helps for future runs.
Nice work nonetheless!
yes same problem in a5killer haze .they dont want pk just want more n......nitrogen...