What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

unidentified organism?

megaman420

Hey i have this unidentified organism in my soil, (bagged soil from canna, called Bio Terra Plus)

Growshop recently sent me 2 bags of of these terra plus that was really old, like 2 month away from expiration date and also it had fungus gnats in it..
I got over that by deploying some beneficial nematodes,which worked really good but is kinda expensive.

they refunded the cost of the soil and i ordered a fresh bag of soil which i was promised was going to be a "newer" batch, it even had a sticker on it saying "new formula" supposedly they have removed some animal stuff in the new one according to canna support.

However the new batch still had fungus gnats, lol. So i just treated everything today with more nematodes, including the "old" soil to make sure they have some fresh nematodes in there if they should get infected again by the new bag.

So this is already pretty messed up as it is, but then as i was almost done with all the nematode feedings etc I suddenly noticed this "egg" kind of thing lying in the soil? (from the "new" bag)

Currently i have the "new bag" of soil , 50 liters, in two 25 liters containers alone in a smaller tent with led lights to get the nematodes working before I add plants to the medium, But I fear for this "egg" is something much worse then what my nematodes is able to handle? :-/
Anyone know what this is?

4qXKAtP.jpg

pZ5K1Et.jpg

Limeygreen

Veteran
Looks like a piece of slow release fertilizer.

If you think it is a bug and want to see what it is, get a mason jar and put some cheese cloth in the ring when you close it so you get air exchange, keep in a warm place and see what hatches out.

megaman420

Looks like a piece of slow release fertilizer.

If you think it is a bug and want to see what it is, get a mason jar and put some cheese cloth in the ring when you close it so you get air exchange, keep in a warm place and see what hatches out.

hmm good thinking. I took it out and squished it tho, was mostly empty on the inside. I actually still didnt figure out what it was
Felt sort of like a popcorn shell when pressed, but i dunno.