What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most common Genotypes, Phenotypes carried into f1 seeds?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hello all, I know there isn't any shortcuts for selection of best parental plants. That said I'd like to streamline filial generations.
My question is what genotypes and phenotypes are most commonly past from the male (in this case sativa dominant). For this example I will use the Bangi Haze=70% Sativa / 30% Indica
f8 stabilized Congolese/Nepalese hybrid. Structure= medium size medium node length. Bouquet= sweet floral, lemony and anisette. High= Strong and energetic sativa effect, picks you up and keeps you going. Flowering 9-10 weeks. Yield= Average-High.

Females= Blue Cheese, Panama D/C, Chiesel, OG Kush, Kush n Cheese for examples.

Goal/Goals, To deliver a more upbeat high while keeping the very dank, skunk, cheese and diesel aromas.

Flowering times to remain at 10 weeks or less. Bangi Haze by Ace and Edy by Original Delicatessen seem to fit this requirement better than any other strains I've studied.( They are both excellent in cooler environments). I have both of these genetics. I grow in a greenhouse along the Canadian US border. I don't use a blackout system. Natural flowering (first pistils) third week in July. I germinate seeds into 35 and 45 gallon root pouch grow bags. Starting the 3rd week in May. ( I don't transplant genetics). I make a keg cup sized hole and pack in a starter soil mix. My results have been exceptional the past several years using this method.
For all growers that take detailed notes of your grows. I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject. I have my personnel notes and experiences to draw from as well. I don't do crosses on a yearly basis and have not focused on these exact circumstances. In the past I was only working on seed propagation and running f1's out of curiosity. Now I'm much more focused on gaining knowledge in genetic frequencies. That said I can only work in small test groups of 30 plants on average.
Again thanks for your time and thoughts. Peace :tiphat:

Green

Veteran
Hey Farmerlion- you’ve got a rad greenhouse set up by the way.

I’ll be honest your gonna have to get your hands dirty. Might need to go F2 or F3 or beyond to find what your looking for. Take a look at all of MrGreenGenes post on his cherry bomb, RIP
I’m sure you all ready Research all of Gregor Mendel ideas and therories.
Best of luck

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ F2 and beyond is where your pheno hunting should take place.

With F1's, dominant traits win over recessive traits. Once you go into the F2
and beyond with segregation occurring you may be able to find your Holy Grail.

Good Luck. :tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^ F2 and beyond is where your pheno hunting should take place.

With F1's, dominant traits win over recessive traits. Once you go into the F2
and beyond with segregation occurring you may be able to find your Holy Grail.

Good Luck. :tiphat:

Or make it yourself in a manner that is eventually self reproducible via open pollination.

dank.Frank

In agreement with Troutman, the gene alleles from each parent which are dominant in the F1 hybrid will determine the phenotype. Also, It makes no difference whether the sativa parent is the male or female, and vice versa.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Thank you all for the input.
Natural high, I can't say that I know Sativa over Indica for being the male donor. From all the articles of DJ Short that I've read he has stated he prefers to use the most Sativa dominant genetics as the male donor to a hybrid. Since I know I know less than DJ, I roll with his preferences. lol I had some Michoacán Creams this past season. There wasn't any of the purple coloring of the Peyote Purple in either plant. The leaf bracts of the peyote Purple are 7 & 8 leaf bracts. The Michoacán Cream had 8 & 9 leaf bracts. The cross carried over one leaf in the new hybrid. Leaves were slightly wider and longer in the peyote Purple. As both are still curing until December 20th. I don't have a smoke report to compare at this time. I haven't ever smelled a true Michoacán flower. So I can't judge phenotypes of aromas. I can only compare the two types of highs. Which brings me to my original question. I should add, I don't smoke so I have to rely on testers to smoke and give me feedback. dank.frank, It will be very different with two poly hybrids being crossed.(Punnett Square Nightmare)! A friend has made a Lebanese sativa available to me. I may now change to this as a male donor. I may also cut the number of females I was looking at doing crosses with. Since I have one example with the Peyote Purple already grown out. I have three other crosses with the Peyote Purple in seed form. I may do the Lebanese x Peyote Purple cross in my old indoor grow room. (during pollination) Then move her later back to the greenhouse. So the environmental triggers won't have as great an effect. Then between the four crosses I could compare them side by side. The male donors are different in each cross ( Colombian, Sandstorm, Michoacán, Lebanese). Then they would all be true f1's and more accurate to discern genotypes and phenotypes passed. I have grown the Peyote Purple a few times by herself. I'm sure I will run her again this season un pollinated. I can focus on the Lebanese genetics this season then grow the f1's next season side by side. I know I have article's written by Hardy-Weinberg here somewhere. I believe their studies were with peas and genetic frequencies. The format of their studies was laid out very well. Should help me keep track of shit better and ask the right questions.
I would still like to hear more thoughts and opinions. If you have a curiosity along these lines. I can look for that answer as I go through this process. Peace