What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica + Malawi small screw-in LED grow

spugg

Update with pics: seven weeks completed

Update with pics: seven weeks completed

The pics below are from two days ago, day 50 of 11/13. Things are developing very nicely even though the Malawi still is acting like my problem child. The canopy:

On the deficiencies:
I followed Dubi’s advice to increase NPK levels which did both plants well. Of course, the leaf damages won’t go away and new leafs will not grow at this stage in flowering, so it’s all about saving the buds now. But I could tell that increasing the feeding was the right decision, as the rate at which the girls are loosing leafs has drastically been reduced from several dead leafs each day to a few per week. It turns out that the soil mix–BioBizz Light Mix–is very light indeed and requires constant feeding of high levels of BioBizz Grow.

The Zamaldelica

This girl is really putting on some weight (just look at that floral development!). Her buds are the largest I have grown so far (though all my previous grows were indica-dominant hybrids under cfls). All white pistils and steaming along. Great bud to leaf ratio. She emanates a sweet fruity smell that’s very pleasurable and nothing like weed at all. (My wife thinks it smells more like something is decaying though.) This is a fantastic plant.

The Malawi

The buds on this one are thin and wispy. Pistils are half brown which kind of puzzles me: Her leaves are super thin, she stretched more than the Zamaldelica and showed pistils and trichomes later; so one would naturally expect her to have a longer flowering time. But now she looks like she’s about to start finishing up. My only explanation is that she thinks she’s going to die because of the deficiencies and tries to hurry all she can. To test that theory, I’m about to flower a clone of this same plant in a different, more strongly pre-fertilized soil mix. See if it goes longer. I kind of feel I didn't really do this plant justice.

On this last picture you can see the new generation next to the bigger flowering plants.

These are all freshly rooted clones in 2.4 liter pots. In the back there are 4 Panama Hazes from ACE, in the front you can see 3 Purple Haze X Malawi and the Malawi clone. I intend to let them grow into small columnar plants s.o.g.-style. On all of these I’m using BioBizz All Mix and watering with just plain ph’ed tap water for the moment. According to the guy in the grow shop, the All Mix is much better with the organic nutrients than the Light Mix. It’s pre-fertilized with worm casings and, I think, algae and might thus be a little on the hot sides for sensitive sativas. This is, of course, why I stayed away from it and chose the Light Mix on those other plants, but having seen what too little fertilization can do, I’m willing to try the stronger mix out. It’s my first time with pure sativas and I just have to try different things out and dial in what works for my particular situation.

deepwaterdude

That is one beautiful canopy, spugg, and I love the clone lineup. PH x Malawi and Panama Haze are on my wish list. SO are more hours in every day, and a greenhouse for all I'd love to grow, but, hey. Great work.

spugg

8 weeks of 11/13

8 weeks of 11/13

58 days of 11/13, nine days for the clones. The Zamaldelica is steamin’ along, still getting fatter and now developing some brown pistils. Still got a couple of weeks to go.

The Malawi, as of today, is fed with nothing but ph’d tap water. Her pistils are, as can be seen on the pics, 90% brown. Trichomes are half cloudy plus a few amber ones. I expect to take her down in about two weeks, which is making her a really fast finisher.

spugg

Som more Malawi pics:

Any thoughts on when to harvest, anyone?

Ayway, here are the clones on their 9th day of 11/13. They have more than doubled in size in that time frame. Especially the Malawi and the Panama Hazes are getting tall whilst the Purple Haze x Malawi are much shorter and more thick stemmed.

spugg

Preliminary Malawi smoke report

Preliminary Malawi smoke report

The other day, I picked an immature lower popcorn bud from the Malawi and let it air-dry for two days. Dried, it wasn’t much more than an airy, crumbling piece of shake, all trichomes were clear, and I didn’t expect much. However, yesterday I put it into the vaporizer.

Taste and bouquet: It had no smell and did’t taste much at all. The vapor was thin and smooth. No coughing. But without a cure and it being immature popcorn and all, one wouldn’t expect much in this department.

High: The effect crept on over the course of 10-15 minutes and peaked after 25. At first, I didn’t think anything would happen but the high was surprisingly intense and put me well to the point of being totally wasted. It didn’t come in waves, just gradually built up and then lasted for several hours. The High was clear and mostly in the head with minute tingling in the legs and feet. Ordered thinking was easily possible, no confusion. Slightly accelerated heartbeat, happiness, desire to laugh, but not in a stupid way. Later on: Visual representation of music behind closed eyelids, feelings of expanded mental space, but nothing I would label as “trippiness”. No crazy rushing thoughts. All in all it was a slightly up-beat head high, strong and long lasting. No drowsiness, no headache, no mental fog after come down.

Rating: A very good start that makes me optimistic about the final product.

G

Nice smoke report!
I think your schedule about harvesting malawi (at 10 weeks) is correct...

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
What a joy of canopy spugg :) Love to see such beautiful peaks in your indoor landscape.

And great flower development for such flowering time with these sativa strains.
You are doing a great job with them and i'm sure the outcome will be great when they finish in this third month of flowering.

I would let the Malawi in your post # 47 ripen for 2 weeks more and start flushing soon. Best regards!

spugg

Ten weeks completed

Ten weeks completed

Ten weeks of flowering completed! The Zamaldelica is nowhere near harvest time. Trichomes are still all clear, not a single cloud. Plenty of white hairs and the buds are still getting fatter which is incredible, considering the size they already have. They are now starting to foxtail. Nice! She emanates a sweet, fruity, flowery smell with some funk in it, something salty, slightly reminiscent of baby poo, perhaps? And the faintest hint of skunk.

Attachments

• Zamaldelica bud day 71 fl.jpg
    Zamaldelica bud day 71 fl.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Zamaldelica bud 2 on day 71 fl.jpg
    Zamaldelica bud 2 on day 71 fl.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Zamaldelica overwiew day 71 fl.jpg
    Zamaldelica overwiew day 71 fl.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 21

spugg

Malawi day 71 - harvest!

Malawi day 71 - harvest!

The Malawi yesterday had almost no white hairs, and the ones it had were all curled up. Trichomes were 90% cloudy, a few beautiful amber ones, and some clear. So she had to go. I took her down yesterday, on day 71 of 11/13.

She’s in a cardboard box drying now. The buds, wet of course, are surprisingly heavy, so at least the top buds are denser than I thought. The branches almost couldn’t carry them. Still, they are going to lose a lot of volume and weight over the next days.
She almost doesn’t smell at all. This was the least stinky harvest I’ve done. The scent is fruity mostly, and now, of course, like wet hay. We’ll see what sort of terpenes she develops once she’s in the jar.

Attachments

• Harvested Malawi 2.jpg
    Harvested Malawi 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Malawi bud 3 on day 71 fl.jpg
    Malawi bud 3 on day 71 fl.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Malawi bud 2 on day 71 fl.jpg
    Malawi bud 2 on day 71 fl.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Malawi top view day 71 fl.jpg
    Malawi top view day 71 fl.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Malawi whole plant day 71 fl.jpg
    Malawi whole plant day 71 fl.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 28

spugg

Clones are doing well

Clones are doing well

And here are the clones! Day 22 of 11/13 for them. They are in 2.4 Liter pots and I did put them in the tent when they were just freshly rooted and less than 10 cm tall. Now they’re at roughly 90 cm! In particular the Panama Haze is stretching like mad. The Purple Haze x Malawi has fatter stems and stretches the same amount as the Malawi clone. They’re all showing pistils now. The stronger soil, BioBizz All Mix, they handle without complaint. No curling. And no deficiencies! Lesson learned: Bio Bizz Light Mix is not a particularly good soil for Cannabis plants, not even sensitive Sativas.

Attachments

• Panama Haze and PHxMalawi clones day 22 fl.jpg
    Panama Haze and PHxMalawi clones day 22 fl.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Canopy day 71 fl.jpg
    Canopy day 71 fl.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 15

jonhova

The Malawi yesterday had almost no white hairs, and the ones it had were all curled up. Trichomes were 90% cloudy, a few beautiful amber ones, and some clear. So she had to go. I took her down yesterday, on day 71 of 11/13.

She’s in a cardboard box drying now. The buds, wet of course, are surprisingly heavy, so at least the top buds are denser than I thought. The branches almost couldn’t carry them. Still, they are going to lose a lot of volume and weight over the next days.
She almost doesn’t smell at all. This was the least stinky harvest I’ve done. The scent is fruity mostly, and now, of course, like wet hay. We’ll see what sort of terpenes she develops once she’s in the jar.

What a bountiful harvest. Your method looks flawless. Any smoke report on the malawi?

jonhova

Nice harvest

Nice harvest

@spugg

The early deficiencies seemed to have cleared up nicely. No dying leaves at all even in flower. Did the clones in the heavier mix require epsom salt like the seeds did?

The results of the biobizz product line look fantasic. What are your thoughts on their nutrients if I may prod you?:tiphat:

spugg

@spugg

The early deficiencies seemed to have cleared up nicely. No dying leaves at all even in flower. Did the clones in the heavier mix require epsom salt like the seeds did?

The results of the biobizz product line look fantasic. What are your thoughts on their nutrients if I may prod you?:tiphat:
So far I haven't used any epsom salt on them but when I did Nirvanas ak48 last year in the All Mix I needed it.

I haven't tried their nutrients on anything else than their soil and they work well with the All Mix whereas the Light Mix requires you to feed all the time which is a bit of a hassle. I have a grow shop conveniently around the corner from where I live and Bio Bizz is the only organic brand they have. Thus I haven't tried anything else, so I can't really compare it to anthing. AllMix + Grow, Bloom an TopMax work well for me and are the most convenient solution in my situation, that's all.

At Mandala Seeds they have a very negative opinion about BioBizz if you check on their website. They are right about the light mix, in my findings, but wrong about the all mix which is strong, but not too strong at all.

spugg

Malawi curing - 91g!

Malawi curing - 91g!

Malawi dry and jarred now. A whopping 91 grams of dry weight. I only had 10x13 watts of screw-in LED over both plants which makes it 5x13w=65w per plant. Even if I add 20 wats for half of the two fans to the calculation it's still more than 1g/w. Screw-in LEDs must be the most efficient lighting for mj growing!

Last year I grew with cfls and got an average of 30g from one plant (in a 7-liter pot as opposed to these 11 liter pots) under 92w of light. But of course: you need fantastic genetics too. So thanks, Dubi!

Buds have been in the jars for four days now. Nice fruity smell so far, not too strong. Appears to be the fruity pheno, no wood or oil aromas. Any thoughts on what to expect from this one once it's fully cured, anyone? Buds dried a little too quickly due to being rather dry from the start and and due to the airyness of the flowers. Next time (a clone is already in week 4 of flowering) I'll hang up the whole plant and trim it dry, that'll keep it moist a little longer.

The clone is already much more resinous than the seed plant was at this stage. Don't know if it's the hotter soil or the longer veg time of the clone.

jonhova

plenty of medicine!

plenty of medicine!

Fantastic 1.42 grams per watt! :woohoo::biggrin:

Looking forward to a smoke report Spugg :peacock:

spugg

Smoke report after 4 days in jars

Smoke report after 4 days in jars

So I sampled the Malawi yesterday. I'm very happy with the result but one step at a time.

Method of consumption: For this report I used an Arizer Solo vaporizer. I took a small piece of bud that fits into the glass pipe of the Solo, much less than a gram, the exact amount I can't specify since my scale isn't that fine tuned. It was about the same volume as the tip of my little finger down to the bottom of the nail. This amount in rather airy bud. I set the Solo on level 6 out of 7 and took 5 deep inhales. I then waited for 30 minutes and took another 5.

Smell and taste: The smell was very light, fresh, friendly – like some sort of dried fruit. The bud produced a fine, but clearly visible vapor that went down smoothly without irritating the throat. On the first draws it tasted faintly the way it smells, later on the taste became a little more bitter, pepper-like.

High: The effect was felt immediately and built up over 5 minutes to a strong high which then kept growing for a total of 15 minutes. There it peaked and stayed on for a couple of hours, I believe at least four, after which it slowly began to taper off. I went to bed and fell asleep in the end but I still felt the aftereffects when I woke up the following morning.
The first 5 tokes made me very high, the ones 30 minutes later sent me to a point of disorientation at which I occasionally forgot who I am and what century I live in. That was fun!
The high was mostly in the head with a slight body buzz to balance it. It was a very bright, happy effect. At the beginning there was a slightly increased pulse, but that went away quite soon. Racing thoughts were easy to get under control, moments of paranoia as well. All in all it was an elevated, pleasant high with no or very little drowsiness and a smooth come down.

Overall impression: Strong but not overpowering and of very high quality. Definitely my favorite at the moment.

Latest posts

Latest posts