What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica + Malawi small screw-in LED grow

spugg

Well, back again and plenty of things planned today, so I’m gonna split it into three posts. To start with: the clones are doing very well. This picture shows the difference in growth pattern betwixt the two–the Malawi stretchy and pointy-leafed, the Zamaldelica small and gentle.

I’m keeping them in these tiny pots so they won’t outgrow my chamber. Right now, they just have to survive and stay small until I know if I like their flowering parents. I feed to them half-strength BioBizz Grow and will probably up-pot in a week or so. Containers are too small for the root mass, so they get thirsty quickly.

top view:

spugg

Episode IV - A New Hope

Episode IV - A New Hope

Another thing:

In the beginning, this was supposed to be a 4-plant grow. Two seeds died upon me however, and Dubi replaced them graciously. Then, last Friday, I couldn't help myself but pop two more seeds: a second Panama Haze (from the same batch as the dud, not the replacement one) and one Purple Haze x Malawi. This time I took great pains to follow ACE’s instructions on the website and in Dubi’s in various posts as well as possible. First I soaked the seeds for 12 Hours in filtered water with a ph of 6.8. I then planted them–not in soil but in soil starter cubes which claim to automatically hold the perfect amount of water to keep the seeds moist but not waterlogged. I also made sure temperatures stayed between 26-29°C. ACE recommends up to 30°C for certain tropical Sativas.
And voilà! On day 4 I found this:

I shall keep them in small containers, top above 3rd node and then take clones as soon as possible. I’ll use the newly rooted clones to fill up empty spaces in my flowering tent and let them become single cola plants.
This is the whole setup in the mother/clone box. The seedlings, now repotted, are on day 3:

spugg

One more thing...

One more thing...

And now to the big box. Day 22 of flowering. Both girls have stretched a lot. It’s hard to tell exactly how much since I’ve tied them down heavily to maintain a level canopy, but I’d say that they have doubled in size. Here is what it looks like:

The Zamaldelica:

And the Malawi:

And: the Zamaldelica is showing pistils! I spotted them already on Wednesday, and the're big ones for sure!

The Malawi: no signs of flowering on this one. Just leaves and stems and stretch between nodes. It’s getting a bit unwieldy. Where do I put all those tall skinny branches? Well, I wanted a real Sativa. Looks like I got my wish.

These Malawi branches just don't know where to go:

Both plants look healthy to my eyes. I see no signs of nutrient burn. The Yellow leaf at the bottom of the Malawi is an old N deficiency. I keep feeding them ½ Strength BioBizz Grow and full strength Bloom with every watering. No boosters so far, though I intend to add TopMax later on. They are watered every 5 days.

spugg

Some additional pics

Some additional pics

The Malawi top view:

The stem is splitting where I topped it due to my lst. Hate it when they do that!

The Zamaldelica:

deepwaterdude

Very nice canopy, spugg.

"I wanted a real sativa..." - lol, I know exactly what you mean;) I ran the most Thai expression of GT I found and it is extremely wispy, and exactly what I wanted. Funny how we get what we ask for;)

Do you have any more possible headroom in the flower cab?

spugg

Very nice canopy, spugg.

"I wanted a real sativa..." - lol, I know exactly what you mean;) I ran the most Thai expression of GT I found and it is extremely wispy, and exactly what I wanted. Funny how we get what we ask for;)

Do you have any more possible headroom in the flower cab?

Yeah, I still got room. It's all about keeping a flat canopy now.

So how did the wispy GT turn out? How did it smoke compared to your usual run of the mill hybrid? Persnally, I don't care as much about yeald as about new and interesting effects.

spugg

Day 25 flower

Day 25 flower

First off: some corrections. In post Nr. 23 it’s supposed to say day 15 of flower and not day 22. Got it one week wrong. Well, now its day 25. There is still some stretch though most of it seems to be done by now. The Canopy:

The Zamaldelica:

Malawi:

Zamaldelica bud:

spugg

Both plants are still vigorous. They drink heavily, forcing me to water them every 4 days now. The Zamaldelica is a happy grower, doesn’t make much noise. The Malawi is not. It’s upset all the time, showing all kinds of deficiencies and burnt leaf tops simultaneously. While bottom leaves yellow despite my watering with full dosage of BioBizz Grow now, other leaves are exhibiting spots of rust. It can’t be Magnesium as I fed with Epsom salts. I’m now wondering if it could be a Calcium lockout due to that Epsom salt. So I’m staying of it for the time being.

The Malawi clone is the same, now exhibiting a Phosphorus deficiency and various rust spots.

I repotted it as it was root bound but it’s still not happy.

And what is that brown leaf tip in the middle of the Malawi canopy?

Texan

Hey man, great grow! I used to have those same brown spots on the leaves. I tried everything but nothing worked. Then I raised the ventilation in my grow room and the spots stopped happening. Don't know if the same thing will help you but it definitely fixed my issues. Good luck rest of the way!

spugg

Day 36 of flowering!

Day 36 of flowering!

Five weeks are now completed. Stretch has finished, buds are growing everywhere. These plants have a beautiful structure with budsites all over those tall stems, a joy to watch. We can also see trichomes. Almost no smell, only a slight growing plant scent and a hint of skunk. Excellent stealth. This is what the canopy looks like now:

The Zamaldelica bud from post #27, 11 days ago, now looks like this (the angle is different):

And look at this beauty (also Zamaldelica)!

Here you can see the frost on the sugar leaves.

Top view of the Malawi:

There is still some leaf damage that concerns me. Both plants as a whole look very light green, almost yellow. This could be the strain, I guess. Lower leaves yellow and die on me though while at the top some tips are burnt. Not sure what to do about it. Considering that they aren’t even half way through flowering yet it worries me a little. Also they both have a pretty bad Calcium deficiency. I’ve never had that before; the tap water around here usually has enough Calcium. Today I got some Canna Ca which I will add to the next feeding which is due tomorrow. We’ll see how they handle that.

spugg

Here is a Malawi bud:

As can be seen, its structure differs from the Zamaldelica's in that it is thinner and wispier which corresponds to the lankier stems and thinner leaves of the phenotype.

A Zamaldelica bud top view:

Here you can see how light green, almost yellow it looks.

Finally, another top view of the Malawi which demonstrates the structure of its colas:

seeded

Shame about the deficiencies but at least you're on top of things and they look fantastic. That Malawi in particular looks like it's going to be lethal.

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
first of all i want to tell you that malawi is a light feeder
and im pretty sure for this..maybe you over feed them until
now..im not an expert but this is my humble opinion..
i had my malawis in hydro and i finish them with only 0,6 ec.
anyway,malawi is a wonderfull strain to grow and to smoke..
needs a lot time to cure and lot time to flower..
:tiphat:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi spugg,

Both, Malawi and Zamaldelica are looking very nice in their first month of flowering,
I would increase sligthly the NPK levels for the upcoming month,
they will recover a bit of color, and yield and resin production will increase too.

Best regards

deepwaterdude

Yeah, I still got room. It's all about keeping a flat canopy now.

So how did the wispy GT turn out? How did it smoke compared to your usual run of the mill hybrid? Persnally, I don't care as much about yeald as about new and interesting effects.

Wowoo, you've got a nice looking field o' green there! I'm jealous, even with the deficiencies.

To answer your question of only a month ago, the big, wispy GT yielded incredibly light, purple spears that are NOTHING like anything you'd see in a dispensary. A 4" spear can way 1/2 gram. Half ounce barely fits in a ziplock sandwich bag. More something you'd see in a sativa aficionado's backyard with absolutely no modern, chunky bag appeal, except to the discerning eye. Kind of like Dr Greenspoon or whatever from greenhouse seeds.

If you look at my thread, there's a clone of her that was flowered at 6" tall. You can see how crystally she is, and low in weight. Now she's 3 feet of wispy goodness;) The bouquet has a bit of spicy orange, more like a subtle eastern tea. I love it just to smoke for the taste and a very soft, floaty buzz. The mother was taken at 11.5 weeks flower because she was in bad soil, while the daughter's at 7 weeks flower today in coco. All that said, this is one of the wispiest GT I've seen on the forums, and maybe atypical. Came from 2015 reg seed.

Great work, inspiring to see! Generally, LEDs tend to inspire the plant to take up more CalMag, moreso in coco, though I think you're in soil. I plan for that. Gooday, dwd

spugg

first of all i want to tell you that malawi is a light feeder
and im pretty sure for this..maybe you over feed them until
now..im not an expert but this is my humble opinion..
i had my malawis in hydro and i finish them with only 0,6 ec.
anyway,malawi is a wonderfull strain to grow and to smoke..
needs a lot time to cure and lot time to flower..
:tiphat:

Hi, tjo and thank you for the advice. I'm in soil and haven't got an ec meter. To me, they look underfed rather than overfed though.:thinking: The soil mix is very lightly prefertilized, and the clone of the Malawi in my veg box did better when I gave it more, not less.

spugg

Hi spugg,

Both, Malawi and Zamaldelica are looking very nice in their first month of flowering,
I would increase sligthly the NPK levels for the upcoming month,
they will recover a bit of color, and yield and resin production will increase too.

Best regards

Hi, dubi, always happy to see the grand meister stop by. I will do exactly that. To this point, I'm very happy with these plants. The best I've grown so far.

spugg

Wowoo, you've got a nice looking field o' green there! I'm jealous, even with the deficiencies.

To answer your question of only a month ago, the big, wispy GT yielded incredibly light, purple spears that are NOTHING like anything you'd see in a dispensary. A 4" spear can way 1/2 gram. Half ounce barely fits in a ziplock sandwich bag. More something you'd see in a sativa aficionado's backyard with absolutely no modern, chunky bag appeal, except to the discerning eye. Kind of like Dr Greenspoon or whatever from greenhouse seeds.

If you look at my thread, there's a clone of her that was flowered at 6" tall. You can see how crystally she is, and low in weight. Now she's 3 feet of wispy goodness;) The bouquet has a bit of spicy orange, more like a subtle eastern tea. I love it just to smoke for the taste and a very soft, floaty buzz. The mother was taken at 11.5 weeks flower because she was in bad soil, while the daughter's at 7 weeks flower today in coco. All that said, this is one of the wispiest GT I've seen on the forums, and maybe atypical. Came from 2015 reg seed.

Great work, inspiring to see! Generally, LEDs tend to inspire the plant to take up more CalMag, moreso in coco, though I think you're in soil. I plan for that. Gooday, dwd

Thank you, dwd! That sounds like some very special smoke you've got there. That sort of thing is exactly why I started growing myself. I want those exotic specimen that you can't buy anywhere. What I'd really like to do is grow a number of different strains and start a collection. It would be like a wine cellar, except it would be a weed cellar.:D Long time storage is a problem but I've found you can vacuum seal and then deep freeze herb. After thawing, it takes a day or two to recover its bouquet though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts