What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garden of Unc-ly delights...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
beautiful thread, thanks for sharing
just getting warmed here,not even hummingbird season yet!
I grew up where I could get to the high desert in a few hours. The shots in this thread reminds me of it's stark beauty that I miss so much and you have it in your backyard! When I was a kid , catching flowering cactus were few and far between and always a great find. Nice find peeps that get along so nice with the environment that they choose to live in.
Not your average cookie cutter green lawn
you either love or hate the desert....i think people who dont like it get overwhelmed by how vast it is,how truly small and fragile you are in the face of such immensity...after a while you begin to respect the hearty toughness of the plants and animals,and how startlingly beautiful they can be...

yup,the hedgehog cactus are about to start blooming both in my yard and out in the wild,and the occatillos wont be far behind...

i wish i could take a pic of the whole yard,but its far too distinctive to show anything but small views carefully cropped....totally makes the neighbors yards look old fashioned and boring!:biggrin:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and now a second blossom...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
depends on the season,during winter just a bare minimum,most of the cactus need a cool dry winter rest to bloom properly,and they hate being cold and wet at the same time.during the summer as long as the soil drains well you can basically soak them down,cactus are very opportunistic and some will grow quickly given good conditions.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wonderful thread Unc!! I love cacti, I have a few around, not anything like the amount you have but is have to bring mine in in the winter, it gets too cold here. Your are beautiful, so many different kinds, they are all so unique, thanks for sharing yours with us. I took a cpl of pics of mine, I have more I'll take pics of later.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice! im not even sure what the second 2 are!
if i could suggest getting some small gravel to put on the soil surface it helps keep the cactus happy having a layer of stones to help protect the roots.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
had a few stray pics in the album...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

picture.php

[/FONT]

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice! im not even sure what the second 2 are!
if i could suggest getting some small gravel to put on the soil surface it helps keep the cactus happy having a layer of stones to help protect the roots.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that for sure!

pinkus

Veteran
sweet! I didn't see any choyas. I just accidentally brought home a chunk of Tasajillo on a hike, stuck to my back pack :p

I LOVE ocatillos!

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
WOW they are some fine cacti you have Unc, amazing flowers what a wonderful garden. when i get my own permanent place ill do some thing similar but in green house to cold here in winter,

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a couple of cholla in other parts of the yard,the trouble with that family of cactus is they grow too quickly when you water them...i will grab a couple of shots of the two i have and the occotillo which is growing like mad right now...

so is everything else....getting a good early jump on the season...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
garden is really starting to pop now,probably 70% of the flowering plants are setting blossoms already,many of these will continue throughout the season...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
wow unc looks nice I know it's pretty refreshing to be around all that beauty everyday ,,,beats looking at gloomy ass buildings all day.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
makes the hours and hours of pulling weeds all worthwhile...
it is nice,i used to feel trapped at my house,like it was just a place to exists,now its a place to live...i got to watch a bird take out a giant moth this morning mid air and saw a lizard killing a black widow just a few days ago...so all sorts of life and death drama on a micro scale....hummingbirds should be coming back soon,already had about a dozen butterfly species visiting...

cant wait to get to the back yard area thats far more private and already has a large tree for shade...that will be the secret garden....

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I miss Arizona. So clean and sunny. Got some paper pics of Mount Lemon.
On the way up I snapped photos of a gorgeous 12' tall cactus. Neat how all these birds live inside it.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thought i posted these last night...
burgundy flower hedgehog..

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php