What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CALLING ALL SWAMP GROWERS.

Looks like a swamp to me ..... Swamps have flow in and out and bogs are stagnant bodies of peat with acidic/low o2 water below ...... If ya got frogs/fish/turtles and such it's more than likely a swamp .... Nice looking one at that!

Yeah that mesh looks good and those tubes look perfect .... Big enough for 2 plants per ... ..... No doubt

Hang panty hose w a cup of blood/bone meal .... On a small branch ...... Strong enough to hold the panty hose ... But thin enough to prevent coons from climbing out to them and tearing it down ..... Make sure it's high enough so coyotes can jump for it either ..... That should be enough to keep deer out ... Smell will unsettle them and high predator traffic will help as well

Yeah I like using streams for my path cause carrying soil/supplies can make a BAD path through the woods plus you can be super quiet and don't have to fight through brush

Just a tip .... Keep your area as natural looking as possible .... If it's natural the occasional hiker will pass right by plants ..... But even the dumbest ... Most blind person will be curious and go look if they spot a fence or anything like that ...... If you use a fence toss it in a fire to quickly age it .... Once up add broken branches and briars along it to help add camo ..... Or just staple the fence directly to the tubes .... Once the plant is big enough it will hide the fence AND provide support from wind and heavy buds

two heads

Veteran
Those tubes look great Plant n Prosper and your plan sounds pretty ambitious. Gemini's advice to keep everything as natural looking as possible is right on. Your site looks good but has pretty long sight lines. Given how much you have to haul in, I'd also be concerned about leaving a trail and evidence of a lot of work going on. Is this your only site? If so, think about scouting out another for some of those tubes. Eggs and baskets.

Gee, nobody defended our super-simple soil mix!

I suggest permatill. I have a friend in a wet area in central florida and he uses a ton of that. He says its like outdoor hydro/dwc. he fills the hole with permatill and small rocks and lets the roots grow through it down into the muck. Until the roots hit the dirt below he feeds it just like it was in a pot of rockwool and the expanded clay pellets.

two heads

Veteran
Your mix sounds great. For lime, I'd just throw in a fistful but it breaks down so slowly it may not help much this year. That's why I like ProMix. It's ready to go and can add lime in the fall for the following spring. I think you're right you won't need a wetting agent.

We've always had the best luck with just Osmocote and Aquasorb (which lasts for years - only add Aquasorb every few years and then not too much). We often add a bit of flowering fertilizer but it isn't really necessary. Osmocote breaks down at a rate proportional to temperature so you always have the right amount available. Last year's plants turned out great but the year before was our best ever with just fresh ProMix, Osmocote and Aquasorb. One thing we're going to try this year in an effort to get more seasons out of our ProMix (hauling it in is hard night time work and susceptible to being detected) is adding a hydrogen peroxide rinse at the beginning of the season.

I had actually hoped to get Baby's Breath out there but a questionable father from 2011 has set back breeding a bit. Maybe next year!?

All the best for a great year.

Just go to home dePOT or walmarx and you can get a 50# bag of pulverized d.lime(not hydrated) ..... I'd add 2tbs per gallon ..... And just mix a little more in the top come Fall to make up for any deficiencies you may encounter ....... Always easier to add more later .... Hard to battle lock-outs of macro's from too much Ca/Mag

pcp44

i was just reading through this thread. very interesting. i am planning on doing the same with the swamp tubes and i could really use any help or advice that anyone can give. i really like your tubes, they look really sturdy and very clean. what kind of material did you wrap them in? i was thinking i would use pond liner felt i wonder how it would work?

To fill the tubes i was going to go with what you had said in your first post with the promix/osmocote minus the aquasorb (never heard of it) but i did think about throwing in some water crystals but i guess in a swamp its not really going to matter. I was going to bust up the ground where the tube was going to go and add lime still wondering how much. then for the next layer i was just going to add a mix of coco and sand.(a local store sells big cubes for like 10$) so they'll work for me i wonder if i should add
osmocote to this layer as well as lime? any advice on this would be appreciated.

For the last foot and a half or so i'm going to use pro-mix mixed with osmocote. I also have access to miracle grow moisture soil so any advice which to use would be great. I'm assuming with the time released fertz theres no reason to add anything organic such as worm castings or any other of the sort. am i wrong? there will be no chance for my mix to "cook".
I've never grown outdoors as i've only started to dabble in cultivation and so far my experience has been dwc and 2l coco hempy's. The idea of growing in swamps has me goin, who's gonna look in a swamp? and even if they do mid summer all they're gonna see is cat-tails anyways.

So yeah anyways any advice or tips on making the tubes and on my mix idea would be awesome.

two heads

Veteran
pcp44 - Aquasorb are water crystals and worth considering for a swamp grow. Not so much to hold water for release during dry times (don't get too much of that in the swamp) but to soak up excess water when they are in danger of drowning (much more likely). A tall swamp tube is good insurance against excess water too though. (I agree, PnP's look real good!) The key is to have as much soil as possible above the waterline.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
many people say water polymers negatively affect the final product. I can't say for sure, but I would only use them if you absolutely have to (you don't have to in a swamp grow)

I would highly recommend using coco for at least part of your mix. so much easier to carry in

hello everyone. i am new to the site. i have done a couple od harvest and about ten indoor pulls so i have a little knowledge about growing. i am completely OBSESSED about growing in the swamp this coming season. i have already began preparing. i wanted to talk about my observation so far. in my swamp most of the land stays above water, the water table is a bout a foot underneeth the ground right now. here were i am there has been a drought so i assume that the swamp is currently at its lowest. so i will plant TWO KINDS of swamp tubes.
1 TUBES IN STANDING WATER
2 TUBES PLACED ABOVE HOLE DUG DOWN TILL WATER TABLE;

by doin TWO KINDS there should be less chance of failure: if there is lots of rain and flooding, then the tubes that are not in standing water might get a few inches of water up the sides. And if there is drought then the tubes in the standing water will eventually be no longer in standing water but will still have their roots down in the wet mud under the tube, thus getting the water they need through the drought

PLEASE any one. give me opinions , remarks, ideas, criticisms,

I cannot haul soil to my sites. i am going to use forest top soil in my swamp tubes. my swamp borders forest so there is PLENTY of this fluffy light airy black rich top soil. i scrape it up and fill in my containers with lime and ferts granules organic

this soils ir really light and resemble exactly what i get when i buy cheap quality potting soil at the hardware store. so what does everyine think is this soil going to hold enough oxygen? my tubes will be 3 FEET above water line so thats enough room for a dry section on top? THANKS in advance. ans sinc i amnew i cant make a new thread so rely hope the OP can forgive me for posting like this here. may we master the swamps!!!!

PLEASE any one. give me opinions , remarks, ideas, criticisms,

I cannot haul soil to my sites. i am going to use forest top soil in my swamp tubes. my swamp borders forest so there is PLENTY of this fluffy light airy black rich top soil. i scrape it up and fill in my containers with lime and ferts granules organic

this soils ir really light and resemble exactly what i get when i buy cheap quality potting soil at the hardware store. so what does everyine think is this soil going to hold enough oxygen? my tubes will be 3 FEET above water line so thats enough room for a dry section on top? THANKS in advance. ans sinc i amnew i cant make a new thread so rely hope the OP can forgive me for posting like this here. may we master the swamps!!!!

i am a poor man and i love free potting soil!!

therevverend

Veteran
I think your best bet is the land patch the water patch may be too wet. I found on swamp land as long as they can drop down a tap root it will hit water even in a drought. Your spot may be different but there is probably water down there.
I'd always bring in a backpack with concentrated granulated fertilizers and lime. Helps to get the PH right and boost up the local soil. A little goes a long way. Leave out the feather meal, blood meal, bone meal it will attract animals.
It's a good idea to check out the spot different times of the year. What looks high and dry in spring can be flooded in fall or vice versa. It sounds like you already know how much the water levels in a swamp can change.

Yes sir Reverend. thanks for replying i have been wathcing this swamp two years now and mentally preparing this whole geurilla FARM i plan to make! as you said i agree best would be the land patches. the dry land part of this swamp has water about 2-3 feet down during extreme dry periods and during wet periods the water is about ground level or a few inches below. i will put most of the swamp tubes in such locations, and put about only ten in spots that have 6 inches water in the dry season and about a foot in wet season. the ones in the wet zone will be quite tall with the top of tube reaching 3 Feet above the water so i think they will have enough oxygen at that height. thanks again reverend

Latest posts

Latest posts