What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blumat auto watering

C

CMoon

cmoon, im at about 15 days of flower, the blumats seem to be doing fine (there are 2 plants out of 15 that are having some kind of deficiency problem, but im still troubleshooting that....). can you explain this "servicing" of the blumats?

indeed, if the drip rate is slightly under par ( which stops any chance of flooding) roots will eventually pull water directly from the ceramic cone........service them buy switching the rez tap off pull them out of the meduim and refil with water, as ive stated , this only needs to be done half way threw bloom........

every nutrient ive ever run threw the system includeing organic creates no internal blockage, there can be the odd build up of salts on the end of the dripper line whice is easily cracked off with fingers

bests cmoon

joaquin386

I have 6 Liter pots (1,6 gallons) how many blunts would I need? I ask these because depending on how much I need I will order the 12 or the 40 pack. And by the way do you put the Blunt just on the outside of the pot or just bellow the main stem?

I have been looking for some autowater but did not find anything worth it.

Question for the pro's: I just setup the system yesterday. Watered the hell out of the soil, pre-soaked the cones, etc... I watched the drippers for about 6 hours yesterday. Today about 24 hours after the setup a few started dripping just a tad so I truned them down as the soil is still pretty wet. My question is this: When they water, does it come out as a stream or a drip? Are supposed to start watering when the soil is dry, or just drip to keep the soil moist all the time? I have 4 more days to dial then in before I leave and want them dialed in just right.
Thanks.
P.S. This is a pretty cool system and easy as hell to setup. I have used 2 other watering systems when I have gone on trips for a week and they both pretty much sucked-ass!

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Question for the pro's: I just setup the system yesterday. Watered the hell out of the soil, pre-soaked the cones, etc... I watched the drippers for about 6 hours yesterday. Today about 24 hours after the setup a few started dripping just a tad so I truned them down as the soil is still pretty wet. My question is this: When they water, does it come out as a stream or a drip? Are supposed to start watering when the soil is dry, or just drip to keep the soil moist all the time? I have 4 more days to dial then in before I leave and want them dialed in just right.
Thanks.
P.S. This is a pretty cool system and easy as hell to setup. I have used 2 other watering systems when I have gone on trips for a week and they both pretty much sucked-ass!

Usually, the soil will appear dry on top, the moisture spreads out in a cone shape below.
I usually tighten them 3 arrows-worth to start.

Also, I use the black nursery trays under my pots, as occasionally, some run-off might occur.

I also only put a couple of gallons in the res. so if anything ever fucks up, spillage is controllable.

4 days is pretty short notice to proof everything.

What size pots are you using??

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have 6 Liter pots (1,6 gallons) how many blunts would I need? I ask these because depending on how much I need I will order the 12 or the 40 pack. And by the way do you put the Blunt just on the outside of the pot or just bellow the main stem?

I have been looking for some autowater but did not find anything worth it.

No more than one per pot. That is about the smallest pot size I would use.
I do 5-7 gal. pots with one unit.
Any bigger, you'll want two per.

SD:joint:

C

CMoon

I ask these because depending on how much I need I will order the 12 or the 40 pack.

as sunnydog says '1 per pot will be enough' theres also a cheap addition to the system that allows you to run many drippers from just one cone, ive not tried these but it looks very plausable if your running a lot of plants in a sog type grow in smaller pots or growbags etc

cmoon

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
as sunnydog says '1 per pot will be enough' theres also a cheap addition to the system that allows you to run many drippers from just one cone, ive not tried these but it looks very plausable if your running a lot of plants in a sog type grow in smaller pots or growbags etc

cmoon

WARNING!!!
These have failed on me!!!
We used these outdoors, and had failure with several of these.
They seem to plug up quite easily, and almost lost a couple of plants, cone gets sucked dry, etc.
Indoors, maybe not a problem, but , from my exp., I cannot recommend these.
If I remember correctly, if one jams up, all the ones past it go dry.

C

CMoon

WARNING!!!
These have failed on me!!!
We used these outdoors, and had failure with several of these.
They seem to plug up quite easily, and almost lost a couple of plants, cone gets sucked dry, etc.
Indoors, maybe not a problem, but , from my exp., I cannot recommend these.
If I remember correctly, if one jams up, all the ones past it go dry.

cheers for the info SD.......saves me a 60 mile round trip to purchase, i did intend giving them a run in the greenhouse this summer with my veggies:joint:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have a bag with like 75+ of them in it.
Shame. SEEMS like such a good idea!

They are probably OK if you have unrestricted access to your garden,
and can supervise them; but for gorilla growing or access compromised, or absentee, I would stay away. :joint:

My fuck up rate (LOL) has been 1.5* "runaway" drippers this run (90 days), after dialing in.
Considering I'm running about 60+ of them, I think that's pretty good odds of some one with only a few not having any issues at all.

* = one overflowed it's tray a bit , and one stopped before overflow

Pots are 1 and 1.5 gallon. I'm 6 weeks into flowering and they dry out every 2.5 days or so. I also have great drip trays that can hold a boat load of water.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Pots are 1 and 1.5 gallon. I'm 6 weeks into flowering and they dry out every 2.5 days or so. I also have great drip trays that can hold a boat load of water.

Just remember to shorten the dripper hose from 8cm to 6 cm.
Seems to make them more responsive in the smaller pots.

Update: So I left for 8 days and these things worked awesome. I used a 5 gallon pot and filled it up with water and a very light amount of nutes. Came back 8 days later and the 5 gallon container had about a gallon of water in it. Like I stated in an earlier post, this is the third system I have bought in regards to self watering and this is by far the best.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Update: So I left for 8 days and these things worked awesome. I used a 5 gallon pot and filled it up with water and a very light amount of nutes. Came back 8 days later and the 5 gallon container had about a gallon of water in it. Like I stated in an earlier post, this is the third system I have bought in regards to self watering and this is by far the best.

I am VERY HAPPY these worked for you, too!:woohoo:
How is everyone else doing?

pretty kool

pretty kool

i havent seen anyone going this small with these yet but this is the deal..i grow sog in 32 oz gatorade bottles dr bud style and i simply cannot be around to water them all the time and i would like to use some kind of automated watering system..not sure if this would work well for my application considering the cones may take up too much space and also i think someone said the dripper hose has to be a certain length..just not sure if these would be able to fit in my gatorade grow bottles..what do you guys think??

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
i havent seen anyone going this small with these yet but this is the deal..i grow sog in 32 oz gatorade bottles dr bud style and i simply cannot be around to water them all the time and i would like to use some kind of automated watering system..not sure if this would work well for my application considering the cones may take up too much space and also i think someone said the dripper hose has to be a certain length..just not sure if these would be able to fit in my gatorade grow bottles..what do you guys think??
Blumat "indoor" may be a better option.
They water THROUGH the cone.

fsaebud

http://www.thesustainablevillage.com/servlet/display/product/detail/37061

here they have a version with an extension so it gos to the bottom of the pot. would this be beneficial so that it waters when the bottom gets dry instead of so close to the top? or would it water less because it would wait till the bottom dried up before it started to drip? it only cost 0.25 more but i don't really know the difference or if there would be any benefit?

i plan on getting these when i set up for more space but right now i am still in a small closet. and seeing as how this is quite simple and i would like to follow the rules of KISS (keep it simple stupid) these would be perfect without the need for an extra timer or pump to auto water less things to go wrong in my book.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran

here they have a version with an extension so it gos to the bottom of the pot. would this be beneficial so that it waters when the bottom gets dry instead of so close to the top? or would it water less because it would wait till the bottom dried up before it started to drip? it only cost 0.25 more but i don't really know the difference or if there would be any benefit?

i plan on getting these when i set up for more space but right now i am still in a small closet. and seeing as how this is quite simple and i would like to follow the rules of KISS (keep it simple stupid) these would be perfect without the need for an extra timer or pump to auto water less things to go wrong in my book.
For REALLY BIG pots!

C

CMoon

:yoinks::yoinks: man thats a great find........best get me a dozen hunted down.......im thinking standards up top and the extensions spiked to halfway down a ten gallon growbag full of coco!:joint: whats your thoughts sunnydog?

cmoon

Latest posts

Latest posts