What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6 inch hood on a 4 inch fan

djibra

hi fam,

so did anyone used/cooled a 6 inch reflector with a 4 inch fan? i dont find many quality hoods in 4 inch so im looking at bigger ones..but i have a new 4inch fan and i dont want do make extra investments so can you help me out on this one

hope i was clear with my english :D

cheers

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
hi fam,

so did anyone used/cooled a 6 inch reflector with a 4 inch fan? i dont find many quality hoods in 4 inch so im looking at bigger ones..but i have a new 4inch fan and i dont want do make extra investments so can you help me out on this one

cheers

I'm gonna use a 4in vortex to cool one 1000watter, with a 6in air cooled hood. I hooked it up and it'll work......yes a 6in would be better fitting and cool multiple hoods. But I got this 4in vortex almost brand new for less than 25$ including shipping. If it wasn't for such a good deal I'd probably have bought a 6in fan for 6in reflector. I use a 8in Hydrofarm (big green( to circulate airflow in my growing area. I'd probably go with a 6in fan unless you already got a 4in.:tiphat:

I'd probably go with a 6in fan unless you already got a 4in.:tiphat:
He already has a brand new 4" fan. Stated in OP.

hi fam,

cheers
I've done it (with 1000hps) and it worked just fine, although only up to 70 degrees ambient temps. Had to switch out to a 6" for summer. I would only use one 4-6" adapter and pull air through the hood, with the intake side being 6" and the outflow 4".

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
He already has a brand new 4" fan. Stated in OP.

I've done it (with 1000hps) and it worked just fine, although only up to 70 degrees ambient temps. Had to switch out to a 6" for summer. I would only use one 4-6" adapter and pull air through the hood, with the intake side being 6" and the outflow 4".

I mint in general I wouldn't buy a 4in to go on 6in reflector. I used to use a 6in Vortex on 4 separate hoods....1000, 600, 430, 400 and that fan cooled 4 different styles of sunlight supply hoods, I kept plants pretty close to those hoods. Like I said Im using a 4in fan on 6in reflector....yes It works but if I was gonna buy new I'd go with 6in fan......in general.....yea I get he has a new 4in. Maybe that's a little more understanding lol

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's quite possible that an uncomplicated job such as this will see more airflow with a 4" than a more complex 6" install would.

There are many variables. Just one is the fact that most fan sizes are available in high and low power versions. Often, a high powered 4, uses the motor of a low powered 6. And will in fact shift more air once the going gets tough.

Perhaps a 4" fan outside the tent, can couple directly to a 6" duct, that does a line of sight dash through the tent wall, the light, and back out again into the same room. Leaving a second fan on carbon filter duties. So the extract fan is concerned with smell and humidity, while the lighting fan is a separate circuit.

R

Rab.C

It's quite possible that an uncomplicated job such as this will see more airflow with a 4" than a more complex 6" install would.

There are many variables. Just one is the fact that most fan sizes are available in high and low power versions. Often, a high powered 4, uses the motor of a low powered 6. And will in fact shift more air once the going gets tough.

Perhaps a 4" fan outside the tent, can couple directly to a 6" duct, that does a line of sight dash through the tent wall, the light, and back out again into the same room. Leaving a second fan on carbon filter duties. So the extract fan is concerned with smell and humidity, while the lighting fan is a separate circuit.

this is exactly the way i done mine today temp in tent is sitting at 24.5c to25c with 600watts.which is great it was 28c this morning without
the new reflector

djibra

I'm gonna use a 4in vortex to cool one 1000watter, with a 6in air cooled hood. I hooked it up and it'll work......yes a 6in would be better fitting and cool multiple hoods. But I got this 4in vortex almost brand new for less than 25$ including shipping. If it wasn't for such a good deal I'd probably have bought a 6in fan for 6in reflector. I use a 8in Hydrofarm (big green( to circulate airflow in my growing area. I'd probably go with a 6in fan unless you already got a 4in.:tiphat:

cool..thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience :) means a lot..and yeah..i all ready have 4in fan:biggrin::tiphat:
..although i would like to buy a 6in but i think its too strong for my 4x4 tent?! what do you think?

I mint in general I wouldn't buy a 4in to go on 6in reflector. I used to use a 6in Vortex on 4 separate hoods....1000, 600, 430, 400 and that fan cooled 4 different styles of sunlight supply hoods, I kept plants pretty close to those hoods. Like I said Im using a 4in fan on 6in reflector....yes It works but if I was gonna buy new I'd go with 6in fan......in general.....yea I get he has a new 4in. Maybe that's a little more understanding lol

especially if it has speed controller incorporated aka.temperature control and that why i like it but like i said..i have a 4x4 tent

im using 600w hps but my 4in prima klima cool tube is just too small footprint...so thats why i would like to upgrade for a better hood :)

cheers