What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Everytime someone mentions applesauce with pork chops i keep thinking of the simpsons tv show, where homer has mentioned it a couple times (i think). I love a nice well seasoned pork chop with sides like potatoes or mac&cheese or rice, but the whole applesauce on it is a bit wild to me. Like to me applesauce is more of a dessert or a healthy snack, not a meat condiment. I mean, the couple times i had it in restaurants it was fine, but while eating it i never thought "oh yeah, this really makes the pork shine". But yknow, it's not bad, and it's not any sweeter than a KC style bbq sauce. Ive been using that sweet baby ray's sauce which i bought a gallon of back in the day, and i have to use it judiciously cause it's so strong and sweet that it tends to overpower the flavor of the meat.

I was hoping to get enough pan juices to make a dipping juice but sadly i didnt have enough. If i had some beef bullion cubes i could have made a fake juice but that wasnt meant to be either. Ah well.

The colts might save brisset this week too, he didnt play last week because they thought he would have to start week 1 with luck's ankle issues. Theyve been giving chad kelly (nephew of jim) a lot of reps to compete for the backup job behind brisset.

Trubisky played a whole 3 snaps in the 1st preseason game and hasnt been seen since. The rams 1st teamers havent played at all so far. Aaron rodgers hasnt either. Really, the preseason is basically exhibition season at this point. I'd be more interested in watching practices.

Lamar miller, the starting RB for the texans, tore his acl last weekend. So maybe melvin gordon will get traded to houston this week. And zeke still hasnt come to contract terms with the cowboys, supposedly he's being offered close to gurley money but less guaranteed $, but he wants more.

MrBungle

I like pork chops with apple sauce and or ketchup.... Thats how my Grandpa ate it and I just followed a long.. I also like lamb chops with mint jelly..try it sometime you'd be surprised

Go Browns!!

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Im a big fan of ketchup on most anything, Bungle.

I think the applesauce and pork came from the british? Back in the day pork meat was fattier so supposedly the acid from the applesauce helped in the digestion? Also i think british applesauce was/is a much heartier version than the typical US applesauce so maybe it went especially well with meat. In fact, if i were to try it i'd probably want to make my own apple side dish, out of cooked down apples, with some seasonings to make it as savory as it is sweet.

But typically with roast pork i just make a quick asian style dipping sauce out of sesame oil, salt and pepper. IMO, salt really brings out the flavor of pork.

Ive had lamb chops with mint jelly in restaurants once or twice in my life, i remember enjoying it but in general im not sure i like how fatty lamb is. It's very tender of course but it tends to have big edges of fat on it IME. That's why Ive been somewhat disappointed in the two briskets ive smoked this summer, both, even the prime grade one, had big veins of fat running through most of the flat. The fat cap on top you can just scrape off when it's warm, but the one in the middle is harder to get rid of.

Carli lloyd says she'd like to try out for an NFL kicker position after her soccer career is over, when she's 40 (she's 37 now). She's 5'7" and 141lbs, and keenan allen made the same argument Pop did, that kicking is all well and good but when she's got to get in a scrum it might not turn out so well: https://twitter.com/Keenan13Allen/status/1166391647459893248

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
happening guys,hope everyone is having a reat week
im having some problems wiht my home computer and will hopefully get this sorted out soon
luckily i have this old laptop i can use for now
i was talking wih some friend at work about thie carley lloyd hing and the takes sem pretty mixed
half the people are saying she has a legit chance of making an nfl team and that its not a problem that she is almost 40y/o and wont be of much use once tghe ball leaves her foot
i agree with k.allen that this could turn ugly really fastand any upside is negated by the risk of serious injury to her
so when do you guys drft fr fantasy baba'?
hope your week is wraping up nicely and you have a great long weekend planned

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Brown's vs Packers Superbowl preseason pick. This will probably change, but it's a long shot to pick 2 of 32 right??

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I admit I'm a big Tom Brady fan and would have no problems seeing the old man get another SB, and Mahomes, possibly Baker. The Chiefs I feel would've maybe won SB last year if Hunt drama and losing him that really took that extra piece that helped KC dominate most the yr.

And Dak wanting 40 mil a yr????......wtf has he done. He's got chemistry with Cooper the WR, but he's not a top 10 QB, don't know if somebody's dumb enough to do it......the Cowboys want even sign one of the best if not the best RB, scoring threats in FB. You gotta have those HR hitters Barry Sanders, Randy Moss guys with unique skills. And Zeke definitely is a work horse game changer. Can't wait I've gotta draft my Fantasy football team

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Brown's vs Packers Superbowl preseason pick. This will probably change, but it's a long shot to pick 2 of 32 right??

thats one spicy taek, there brother
i agree that the browns are one of the teams onthe rise but the afc is red hot right now
i hear you on dak not being elite just yet and elliot is a much bigger part f their offense that ol'jerry might want t admit

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ive had my share of PC problems, Pop. Is it the power supply? Most parts on a PC can be replaced or fixed for way less than buying a new computer, and there’s plenty of instructions on the internets about how to do so.
I think fans of any teams that have had recent kicker issues (chargers, bears, Vikings) would entertain the idea of ANYONE being their kicker so long as they’re reliable. I’m more concerned with her overall size meaning a lack of leg strength as opposed to being hurt on a tackle, although that’s certainly a concern too. She needed a longer run up to hit that 55yarder, and who knows if the trajectory was too shallow, u get more distance when it’s shallow but it’s also easier to block or deflect.

I draft this weekend Pop. Wish me luck! Good luck to u also WV.
Im going to disagree with WV on wanting Brady to get another ring, he has 6, been to 9 superbowls in the last 18 yrs, most franchises haven’t even been to one during that time. He’s had enough.

Browns are a fairly popular SB pick, and the packers will always be a threat if Rodgers plays well. Fwiw, I felt Damien Williams filled in admirably for hunt last year, really if not for that offsides call in the AFC championship they would have met the rams in the superbowl.

It’s somewhat surprising the Boys haven’t reached extensions with any of their big 3. Maybe Dak’s agent is trying to make up for his lack of payment his first 3 years in the league by asking for the moon now – he was making a good 5-6M a yr less than what high 1st rd picks get. And people are hopeful Zeke will be back by week 6, jerry even said it will keep him fresher for the playoffs, but knowing what happened with bell last yr, im avoiding him and Melvin Gordon in my drafts.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Ive been a Browns fan about 3 yrs, so kept seeing them lose and finally they won a game, and things are looking up. Yea it's a long shot pick, the Browns got a lot of new egos in there. Chubb is the most under rated back in football, he's not a pass catching back really, just a home run hitter. If OBJ plays like he can, and I promise Baker will put it his way 15 times a game. It's gonna let Jarvis Landry kinda fit into that A- B+ guy he is. They have seemed to booster a already good defense. That's why I love football, all the good players don't play for 2-3 teams. Really there's probably 15-20 teams with a realistic shot. I've seen some 8-8 Ravens team win SBs, from getting it together in Nov dec

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yup, browns should be a big story this year, they ended last season on a high note and had the best offseason of any team. Mayfield is always good for a quote or a meme, OBJ should catch 15+td's if he's healthy all year, and ur right, nick chubb could easily be a top 5 RB this year. After suffering for 15+ years, nice to see browns fans get some hope, and not just a little hope, cleveland is legitimately a good team.

I would say only 5-6 teams have a realistic shot at a lombardi this year: saints, rams, pats, chiefs, maybe browns, maybe an nfc north team (bears or vikes or pack). But u make a good point, i think teams that are playing well at the end of the season are capable of running the table in the playoffs. The 9-7 giants did it in 2008, i think most other super bowl winners won at least 10 games during the regular season though.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
happening fellas! hope everyone i starting their long weekend off right
no pro ball this weekend but next week we kick off with the bears v pack
this season there are a lot of up and coming teams to keep things interesting aaround the league
i think the browns offense will be hot this year with chubb and hunt in addition to the air game
and lets not sleep on that D'
they have a young secondary that is on the rise with d.ward and greedy, plus miles garret up front
i like the direction the bills are going this season andwe will see if j.allen can follow up and improve on his rookie year
i think this season is going to be tough and you will need at least 10 wins to get into the playoffs

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yup, nice 3 day weekend is here, hope everyone has good weather and can spend some time outside.

How'd everyone's fantasy drafts go? Had the 2nd overall pick, took alvin kamara (saquon went first). Managed to snap up michael thomas, david montgomery and josh jacobs with my later picks. Have 2 rookie starting RBs but theyre projected to be bellcows for their team, well, tarik cohen will get a lot of work for the bears but montgomery can catch as well.

I waited on qb and ended up with lamar jackson and jameis winston. Hopefully one or both end up putting up some good stats, not sure if i want to keep a 2nd qb on my bench all season long though.

Josh allen is available on the waiver wire, he's someone with a lot of fantasy upside, i think he was actually the highest fantasy scoring qb the last few weeks of last season because of his rushing. So he's one option as well i can turn to if no one else snaps him up.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
how may players in total cn you ahve on your roster
it sounds,ilke you have a couple qbs already but if you could pick up j.allen i would go for it
/i would think he would be doing way better than winston this season
who are your young rbs? is one d.henderson
two saints on your team too but i think they are both in the top-5 for their positions
/i think kimara is going to have a monster year

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Both leagues have shallow benches, like 6 man benches, i have about 17 players in one league and 23 in the other (start a bunch of def players in that one).

Im keeping my eye on josh allen, if he starts off hot ill try to pick him up, but right now i have other lottery tickets on my bench that i want to see if they pan out or not. One of those tickets is darrell henderson, if gurley is ineffective or gets hurts again he'll be very valuable.

Im hoping kamara and thomas do well all year but lately brees has really cooled off the last few weeks of every season, so that's something to be concerned about.

People think now that bruce arians is coaching winston he'll be able to maximize his talents, so we'll see how that works out.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
i was a big fan of j.winston when he came into the league
/i still think hes better than marritoa
but hes never really put together that really big year; hopefully this is the one
can you believe all the action this past weekend?!
chargers are basically done negotiating with m.gordon and zeke is no closer to signing
/well i guess hes back from his vacation in mexico
it looks like miami is pretty much throwing in the towel and going into full on rebuild mode,trading away tunsil and stills for some first round pics (plus a bunch of other stuff)
clowney goes to seatle...
man my hat spinning
hope you had a great long weekend, brother
it was all so much fun and i cant believe how fast the three days went

i guess its almost the start ofa new season baba', when are we going to start posting on the new thread?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Heh, i figure since u and i are pretty much the only ones here, we can start it whenever we want. Or never. We've got carte blanche here.

I remember i wanted the bears to trade up and draft mariota when he came out, but ur right, injuries and ineffectiveness have limited his play. Jameis, like fitzmagic, throws for a ton of yards but turnovers limits his upside. Still, bruce arians got carson palmer to play like an mvp for a couple years in 'zona, so maybe he can sprinkle his pixie dust on winston, like mcvay does to goff.
Speaking of which, Goff just got his big time extension yesterday, think he signed for a little more than Wentz did, they went #1 and 2 in the draft. So mcvay and goff are joined at the hip for the next 5-6 yrs, we'll see if a lombardi is in their future.

I had the #2 overall pick in one league and drafted zeke because supposedly he was going to sign soon, and then for the next 2-3 days im hearing stuff like 'theyre not that close' or 'still arguing over guaranteed money' and im like, ah crap it's going to be last year leveon bell again (who i also took #2 overall). But ur right, he came back from cancun and supposedly signed this morning for a little more guaranteed $ then gurley, so that's one thing off my shoulders.

Houston traded two 1st rd and one 2nd rd draft pick for Miami's Tunsil, who's supposedly not even that great of a tackle (he's good, but supposedly his play is ranked only middle of the pack as far as NFL tackles). But after watson led the league in sacks last yr, and seeing their divisional rival Luck retire because of the pounding he took early on in his career, guess houston wanted to make some win now moves. They actually dont have a GM on the texans, they fired him earlier this year but werent able to hire the patriots scouting head to replace him, so the coach is basically the GM now. When you make the coach the GM u run the risk of them making win now moves at the expense of the future (draft picks).

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
zeke got paid and it looks like dem'boys are right back in the playoff mix
i would not have been mad if they waited until they lost a few games before extending elliot but ol'jerrah got the deal done now
now they need to get cooper and dak signed
i hear coop is keep cool and will play this season on hsi current deal, but prescott wants all the money
a.cooper is doing a smart thing i think, last season he put up good numbers once he came to the cowboys
i think this year he will be even better playing a whole season with his new team
prescott might need to readjust his expectations, he just isnt wrth what he is sking
/im hearing numbers up around 30m+ a season?!?
he isnt there yet and i dont think he should be paid anywhere near what he wants
goff got paid and hopefully will continue to develop
if cooks, woods and kupp are healthy the whole season he should be doing pretty well
i think tunsil was a good pickup for houston and if stills can get into the mix it might turn out to be a good move for the texans
they did give up a couple first rounders, but if they play well the value of those pics goes down
at this point i cangt figure out where miami is heading, but they seem to be looking ahead to next seasons draft
maybe we should ust start a generic nfl football thread and let it roll
tomorrow is the first game of the season and you could not have asked fora better match up
bears and packers baby! im ready for some football!

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holy Bat Poop!!!! A.B. to the Pat's.
Not gonna get away with what he's accustomed.Time will tell,I guess.Gotta keep Josh Gordon off the pipe too.
I'm trying out next week for Team Pastor....lol

Latest posts

Latest posts