What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Internet typing: punctuation & grammar?

Treevly

I think the non-capitalization thing started with Google deciding that most people has enough trouble with spelling and that capitals complicated things. It went from there. Journalists and others who professionally appear in print might be literate enough, but the masses are not, thinks Google.

I always respected and appreciated the English language, and if I spoke another language, I would probably feel the same way about that one.

If I see anything - title, paragraph, story, thread, post, etc. - which lacks punctuation or capitals where appropriate, I just zip on by and don't read it. There is a lot of good stuff to read out there.

St. Phatty

If I see anything - title, paragraph, story, thread, post, etc. - which lacks punctuation or capitals where appropriate, I just zip on by and don't read it. There is a lot of good
stuff to read out there.

i concentrate on spelling and grammar.

what gets me is people often use less, when they should use fewer.

it's a fine detail, it's like understanding a detail in a widely used programming language, no big deal.

# of course we could start our comments with number signs

America needs a President who can spell

super cali fragilistic expial idotious.

it's a word from a Julie Andrews move.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I agree with the OP..

Therefore, look at your 13th word and correct it to "had" or "have"...:biggrin:

(just fuckin' with you!)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
What I hate are long-winded posts expressing complicated ideas with no spaces between the paragraphs.:tongue:

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
there was a poet i read in high school that chose to forego capitalization (i forget)

something stuck with me about it, and ever since i found capitals to be aesthetically unpleasing.

i use them rarely, such as for plural acronyms - ATMs, etc.

now if i am writing formally... email to a boss, etc... i do end up channeling my english 121 coursework.

buzzmobile

Veteran
there was a poet i read in high school that chose to forego capitalization (i forget)
Here's a reminder for you:
[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]
By E. E. Cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
There is a reason for illiteracy in this country. I drove by the school up the street and the sign in front of the school said,

"C U IN SEPT."

And, you wonder why the kids can't spell.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I skip posts with the run on sentences, there is supposed to be a space after punctuation, that is if they even use punctuation...

Mr. J

The worst are the people from England. I know it's cliche to point out the fact that you guys invented the damn language but come on. You need to do better.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I skip posts with the run on sentences, there is supposed to be a space after punctuation, that is if they even use punctuation...
As I. If you don't have the time to properly format a post. I don't have the time to read it. IMHO a lot transpires from "phone jockeys"!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's A lot, not alot. Nobody types alittle yet...

Loose is your neighbor's daughter, or the screen door, which as been slammed too many times. Lose is what most people do when they play poker. (Yes, I use a graphic description to slam my point home... k?)

The two most commonly used typos I've seen explode across the internet the last couple decades, since AOHell connected their bullshit to the main internet. (AOHell allowed any ignorant moron to connect to the net with a mouse-click. Before then it was almost guaranteed your chat partner had an IQ of, at the very least, 100.)

Latest posts

Latest posts