What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diatomaceous earth: is it safe

Treevly

.... to use? Is there any problem with residue getting on buds and being harmful? Is it applied directly to leaves?
Thank you.

redbird1824

I've used it for many years and it has always been very helpful both indoors and out. Be sure to get the food grade type.

Treevly

I've used it for many years and it has always been very helpful both indoors and out. Be sure to get the food grade type.

Right, and thank you, I have the food grade type. Do you apply it to leaves? Instructions don't say that, but to save a struggling AK I am keen to try it on.

Grey_Wolf

Yes it's safe providing you get the food grade stuff as mentioned above
I put a small amount in my Dogs feed once a week She's healthy as
I just apply it to the surface of the soil now bcoz when I dissolved and sprayed it on the leaves it looked too much like Powdery mildew and I got sick of peoples telling me I had mold on my plants when I obviously didn't .
As well as Controlling insects etc it contains Silica which we all know is good for Plant health

troutman

Seed Whore
Outdoors.

Ok, :tiphat:

Outdoors, I use other pesticides early on but not directly on the plants. What I do is spray a perimeter around
my grow patch as a deterrent. I figure it's best to scare the bugs away before they find the goodies. I'm not
too fond of spraying my plants when they are budding though. Releasing natural predators is an option too.

PDX Dopesmoker

DE is wonderful stuff, extremely effective on all insects and otherwise completely harmless. Plus its super cheap and whatever doesn't land on the plant is an excellent soil additive.

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well,
I’ve seen caterpillars shed their skin hours after spraying DE mixed with water on a sacrificial brassica crop, next to my plants. It didn’t kill them but it must of been incredibly irritating. I’m pretty sure l was spraying bi-weekly with food grade DE.
It was a long time ago when l did the experiment and to be honest, l can’t remember the exact outcome but it wasn’t as effective as l would of hoped on caterpillars, or aphids and l discontinued the practice.
It was extremely abrasive on the pump mechanism of my, expensive, backpack sprayer to the point where it seized up and l had to get it fixed.
Cheers,

'Boogieman'

Thank you, Boogieman, re blower.

This is what I used, you put the DE in the container then pump it and it blows the DE everywhere. I was able to cover huge outdoor plants in 20-30 seconds.

Attachments

• 5186ZAVQD5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    5186ZAVQD5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 28

40degsouth

Hey Boogieman,
I remember seeing a backpack fogger used to spray sulphur for powdery mildew by a grower years ago but that seems to be more like a spray paint type design.
How big is the compressor that it works off and how much psi does it require??
Cheers,

'Boogieman'

Hey Boogieman,
I remember seeing a backpack fogger used to spray sulphur for powdery mildew by a grower years ago but that seems to be more like a spray paint type design.
How big is the compressor that it works off and how much psi does it require??
Cheers,

It's a hand pump, you just pump it with your hands. I grow guerilla in an illegal state so have to be quite about what I'm doing. I mainly use it for leafhoppers.

Stinkhorn123

It's a hand pump, you just pump it with your hands. I grow guerilla in an illegal state so have to be quite about what I'm doing. I mainly use it for leafhoppers.

How is the DE working on the Leaf hoppers?Where I am it’s been a bad year for leaf hoppers and Lygus. I suggested DE to a few friends that have had problems with them. I like that duster It’s much better than the repurposed plastic squeeze type ketchup jar I usually use.