What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jerry Garcia Growing Up

Jerry_Garcia

Welcome any and all! I figured I would get a thread started early as my grow room comes together. I have an unfinished "no window" basement area that I will be finishing off this Friday. I will be going with a 4 x 4 veg tent for all of my vegetative plants, mothers and clones. The rest of the 9 x 13 room will be dedicated to flowering. I will be using a 1000 hps venting/scrubbing the tent and room through an outside vent.

I currently have some bag seed that was gifted to me from a close friend. She grew one out and was impressed. I have 14 of these seeds currently in rapid rooters using a Vivosun heated propagation tray with dome. My plan is to find one or two that show good vigor in veg and grow them out. I am going to throw in 4 more for flowering. The options I have are:

NL#2 x Chem x Orange Pink Grapefruit (Real Gorilla Seeds)
C99 x Chem D (Chimera)
Strawberry Cough (Dutch Passion, feminized)
Blue Gelato 41 (Barney's, feminized)
Gorilla Zkittlez (Barney's, feminized)

So what should I choose for the final 4 spaces? I'm a legal grower in Missouri and plan to stay legal with 6 flowering plants. We also are allowed 6 plants in veg and 6 clones. My plan is to keep 6+6+6=18 stems going at all times.

I hope everyone is great and enjoy following along.

Jerry Garcia

Last edited:

rootfingers

Right on, Jerry Garcia. It sounds like you have a solid plan and I wish you armfuls of the dankest herbs for your efforts!

Not sure what to tell you on the seeds, they all sound real good. One thing I found with Barney's is the germ rate can sometimes be kinda low so don't be surprised if you need to start a few extra to get there.

Happy growing, see you around.

Jerry_Garcia

Thanks rootfingers.

My plan for grow medium is LC’s Soiless Mix #2 with recipe #1. Essentially ProMix HP, perlite and worm castings along with blood & bone meal, kelp, green sand with some liquid karma. Nutrients will be Earth Juice line of products.

Jerry_Garcia

The exact recipe:

LC's Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up)
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.

Now for the plants organic food source

RECIPE #1
If you want to use organic nutes like blood, bone and kelp...
Dry Ferts:
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potasium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.
Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too.

Jerry_Garcia

Thought I would fill folks in on the specs of my equipment. As I mentioned above, it is a 9x13 room with a 4x4x6.5 ft Vivosun grow tent. I have a 6" 440 cfm in-line fan pulling through a Vivosun 6x18 carbon filter and exiting through an outside vent. For flowering, I am using a 1000w HPS with dimmable ballast and in the tent for veg I am using a Gtaren 100x LED corn light. Never used one of those before, was recommended to me and will be curious how it performs.

Now to put this room to the test!

G

Good luck,Jerry. Looks like you got a bit of space. Coming up nicely. About those bagseeds...do you know what they are or just kept them because you liked the weed? Cant wait to see your babies growing. All the best from downunder:friends:

Jerry_Garcia

Hi Ivan, I do not know what the bag seeds are. I’m only getting a few going to play around and test the new grow room. If any look decent, I will keep one or two...maybe. I’m more than excited to get some of my known seeds going soon! I just need to figure what to run first. I’m leaning towards either the Blue Gelato or Strawberry Cough.

Jerry_Garcia

Hi all - so I almost have the new room ready to go. I ran my 1000w HPS yesterday to see what kind of temperatures I will be running. Lights off I am at 72F and light on I am at 82F. I wish I was a few degrees cooler with lights on but I think I should be ok...yes? As I mentioned, I already have a 440 cfm inline fan going pushing the warm air outside through a vent. I could either get a stronger fan in there or install AC to get my temperature down but do you think I need to? Thoughts?

Hey there, sounds like you're well on your way to a great setup. As for the heat, yeah, if you can ramp up the cooling down in there, you won't regret it, especially before getting anything growing, which will raise temps/humidity once it's going.

Best of luck!

G

Maybe run the lights at night? Or get fresh (colder) air from a cooler part of the house to get pumped in there. Otherwise theres the option of a cooltube/shade or stronger exhaust fan settings or as you mentioned an air conditioner. I guess you wont settle for a 600w light...right?

Good luck..ibe got a feeling very doon i will be in the same boat temperature wise...:shucks:

Jerry_Garcia

Thanks guys - we’ll see what I end up doing. I thought about dropping down to a 600w but I figure I’d be sacrificing yield if I go that route. If I understand correctly, my warmer temperature will also likely bring my yield down a bit too. I may just run it as is and see how the plants look. I can easily install a higher cfm fan if absolutely necessary and that should get me down a few degrees.

Jerry_Garcia

So a quick update. I had 9 of the 14 bag seeds sprout (already pulled 3 that were slow to start) - I probably may have gotten the rest to come up but it's just bag seed so I really didn't care. I put them in my grow tent with the LED corn cob light. I realized I made a mistake in getting that tent set up. I did not allow for height adjustment on the light, I just hung it to a cross bar. That being the case, I had some stretch I needed to find a fix for. I moved them under my HPS with the light about 3 feet above. They are looking fine and currently pushing up their 3 set of leaves.

Tonight I am going to reconfigure the tent and make that LED height adjustable. I am also going back to the paper towel method and get my seeds to sprout before putting them into the Rapid Rooters. I placed 5 NL#2 x Chem x OPG into towels late on Friday...these were a freebie. Late last night 3 had popped and are in Rapid Rooters in my propagation dome and heated tray. Just waiting on the other two to open up.

Temps in the room are running about 72-80F. Again, I wish I could get my top temp down a little but I think I will run one cycle and see how it goes. If it doesn't go great, I may just drop down to a 600w. Shoot, the last time I grew I was running a 400w and was thrilled with the results.

Of course the 6 plants that are up don't need much water but what I am giving them is straight tap adjusted to a pH of around 6.7. PPM of my tap water is around 200. No nutrients yet. With the soil I have mixed up, I probably won't give them anything but water until they tell me they need something.

I'm really glad I started with some bag seed to get my green thumb back where it needs to be. No disastrous results yet but I am learning and dialing my space in before I get some of my feminized seeds going. I'm still thinking of running Blue Gelato first as its lineage is pretty impressive. I guess its DJ Shorts Blueberry with GSC and Sherbert. I'm excited for that one!

I hope everyone is well - Happy Growing!

Jerry_Garcia

Opps, didn't mean to insert links above.

picture.php

picture.php

G

Hey Jerry, i guess you are getting those heavy duty yoyo's for the lights..
You can also just lift them up to be closer to the light with milk crates or something similar. But i wonder how fresh air is getting in your tent with the coolshade set up the way u did it? Looks like that could be the problem after all. Is there anything pushing air in? Am i missing something?
Keep us updated,buddy