What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growin w/ Happy Frog

DoloDankness

This thread is going to be dedicated to the four plants in my garden that I am using soil with. I am a newbie grower so any tips and tricks would be much appreciated. Here is what the garden looks like. I am running at Maxsisun PB1000 with a dimmable driver. Here are a few pics of the grow. Im also running a few autos in coco but I don't know if I should start a new thread here or in the hydro threads.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Good luck on the grow, I am trying a few plants in HF for the first time too. Lots of folks use it so I don’t expect many issues

DoloDankness

I decided to transplant my auto flowering plants from coco into the Happy Frog soil as well. I know transplanting autos isn't the greatest thing to do but I needed to get them into nutrient rich soil. I'm still a novice grower and with the advice I've been getting on here it seems that coco is still a little advanced for me. Anyways, here are pics of the plants after transplant.

I transplanted them all into the one and half gallon pots that I have with the happy frog soil. I believe this will keep the autos at a decent size for the space that I have and then I will finish my regular plants in 3 gallon pots.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i messed with autos handful of times and always transplanted. did recentley read its not good either but they still performed. next time i try bigger pots from the get go

DoloDankness

i messed with autos handful of times and always transplanted. did recentley read its not good either but they still performed. next time i try bigger pots from the get go

For sure I agree, I know they aren't gonna be the biggest plants but I need the room for the regs for when they take off... which is beginning. I'm noticing faster growth everyday. :woohoo:

nickman

Veteran
You’ll be fine in happy frog. It doesn’t have much nutrients in it so are you feeding with liquid nutrients or did you add some dry amendments to the soil...

I add dry amendments to mine...
I also usually add some ocean forest as well...

I add the ocean forest at a 50/50 ratio...!!!...
I usually also add in some compost too...!!!...
some extra perlite added as well will help too...!!!...

:tiphat:...

DoloDankness

You’ll be fine in happy frog. It doesn’t have much nutrients in it so are you feeding with liquid nutrients or did you add some dry amendments to the soil...

I add dry amendments to mine...
I also usually add some ocean forest as well...

I add them at a 50/50 ratio...!!!...
I usually also add in some compost too...!!!...
some extra perlite added as well will help too...!!!...

:tiphat:...

Thank you for that! I do have some Dr. Earth's dry amendments, do have any opinion on that brand? Ever heard anything bad??

Succinct

I just finished some long-flowering sativas in Happy Frog. I used nothing but RO water through the 7-week veg, and made it through three weeks of flower before needing to use some liquid nutrients when watering. Great soil that I'll be using again.

DoloDankness

I just finished some long-flowering sativas in Happy Frog. I used nothing but RO water through the 7-week veg, and made it through three weeks of flower before needing to use some liquid nutrients when watering. Great soil that I'll be using again.

Thats great to hear. My seedlings are looking awesome as well. Exponential growth each and every day. :biggrin:

nickman

Veteran
Thank you for that! I do have some Dr. Earth's dry amendments, do have any opinion on that brand? Ever heard anything bad??

I’ve seen it in stores before... never used it myself though...!!!...

I like to use mainly Down to Earth dry amendments...!!!...
I also like to add in some insect frass too...!!!...

DoloDankness

I’ve seen it in stores before... never used it myself though...!!!...

I like to use mainly Down to Earth dry amendments...!!!...
I also like to add in some insect frass too...!!!...

Okay well looks like we'll see what happens! What is insect frass?

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I’ve been using HF for years with great results. :yes: I always add perlite to it. It’s fine without it but sometimes you can get a bad bag of HF and the perlite prevents any problems if you do. I also like to add dry amendments to it as well. HF is pretty versatile. :tiphat:

DoloDankness

I’ve been using HF for years with great results. :yes: I always add perlite to it. It’s fine without it but sometimes you can get a bad bag of HF and the perlite prevents any problems if you do. I also like to add dry amendments to it as well. HF is pretty versatile. :tiphat:

Good to hear thank you for the feedback!! Anyone interested is welcome to head over to my grow diary as well. Probably will have more photos over there, and mainly post on there.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
This thread is going to be dedicated to the four plants in my garden that I am using soil with. I am a newbie grower so any tips and tricks would be much appreciated. Here is what the garden looks like. I am running at Maxsisun PB1000 with a dimmable driver. Here are a few pics of the grow. Im also running a few autos in coco but I don't know if I should start a new thread here or in the hydro threads.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83124&pictureid=2034962&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83124&pictureid=2034961&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Put you about 30-40% perlite and a few Tbs of dolomite per gal of soil. Also you could add some miccorrihizea if you can afford. Also worm castings. I mainly use Ocean Forest, but don't mind getting my hands dirty in the Happy Frog. Just water very lightly at first, eventually you'll be able to lift your bucket and know if they need water. I grow big plants, so I water 5-6 days a week. But I've got a seperate Veg and Flowering room so I stay busy

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm not a paid spokesman lol or there president. I mainly use Fox Farm nutes also. the dry and wet work great.

DoloDankness

Put you about 30-40% perlite and a few Tbs of dolomite per gal of soil. Also you could add some miccorrihizea if you can afford. Also worm castings. I mainly use Ocean Forest, but don't mind getting my hands dirty in the Happy Frog. Just water very lightly at first, eventually you'll be able to lift your bucket and know if they need water. I grow big plants, so I water 5-6 days a week. But I've got a seperate Veg and Flowering room so I stay busy

Alright will do next transplant. I'm going to use Ocean Forest the next time I need to buy some soil, I wasn't well educated on it, but everyone on here has seems to have used it or still uses it. Yea I understand about the watering thing, I need to get a spray bottle so I can spray the medium before I water it, I heard that will help with the water flow. Thanks very much for your info I will definitely be using it to my advantage. I have also heard very good things about miccorrihizea, do they only sell it online and at hydro shops? I'm gonna go check out some of your threads, you have been here a long while it seems. Thanks for checking out the thread!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Alright will do next transplant. I'm going to use Ocean Forest the next time I need to buy some soil, I wasn't well educated on it, but everyone on here has seems to have used it or still uses it. Yea I understand about the watering thing, I need to get a spray bottle so I can spray the medium before I water it, I heard that will help with the water flow. Thanks very much for your info I will definitely be using it to my advantage. I have also heard very good things about miccorrihizea, do they only sell it online and at hydro shops? I'm gonna go check out some of your threads, you have been here a long while it seems. Thanks for checking out the thread!

I tell you what I've started mixing Promix in the soil. I go about 5 parts Promix to 3 parts Ocean Forest or HF. It saves a few dollars

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
HF potting soil is much better quality than Ocean Forest, in my experience anyway. That's working with it straight from the bag, no changes.

Latest posts

Latest posts