What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Shrooms

dddaver

Veteran
I'm taking a break from growing cannabis and giving my back a break. I thought about growing some mushrooms in the interim so looked at shroomery.com. It seems a bit complicated. The site I was reading talked about using a pressure cooker and syringes.There is also the problem of temp. I've got my tent to run at about 80F but I think that's too warm I think as I always thought mushrooms need a cooler growing environment. Should I pursue this?

CrushnYuba

When i started growing mushrooms 15 years ago, i did it reading shroomery. I don't even think i joined. I just read other people's teks and questions. My first grow was super successful. I got over 4 oz from a little tub. I did wild bird seed spawned to coco.

Just keep reading. Keep the tent room temperature. You don't run enough lighting to heat up. It will be the same temperature as the rest of the room.

Very low investment cost. You can't really half ass it like weed though. Out works great or not at all.

G

Its really east to do and then you will start looking to medical and gourmet mushrooms. Uncle Bens Tek for the uninitiated.

Reddit has very active and eager to share mushroom groups.
Also The Shroomery is a good place to resource, and you will spend lots of time there once you choose your path.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm still learning but I have a grasp.

People like Paul Stamets will become profoundly interesting:biggrin:

Badfishy1

Gotta keep sterile method. Learn to use a pressure cooker and make a glove/ still air box. Pf-tek is easiest ‘beginner’ method yields will be small. Move on to mono tub.

Badfishy1

Do you think this would be a waste of money?

https://www.midwestgrowkits.com/Ultimate-Mushroom-Growing-and-Incubator-Kit

I have seen some videos of tub grows - but you'd advise not to start there?

Oh I’m not saying mono tubs are impossible to start with! For me pf- tek was easier. Just easier to dump a single jar of contam than a full tub run. That kit looks like a nice set up though

Edit: after looking a bit more, that set up is not what I was referencing as a mono tub. It appears fruiting is done right on the cakes themselves and not an inoculated substrate

Hookahhead

It’s really not complicated, it just seems complicated at first. Remember when you were first starting to grow and all the information seemed overwhelming?

Like any hobby, get yourself good equipment in the beginning. Sterility is crucial. A pressure cooker is how you keep your substrate sterile, so buy the biggest one you can find. You will quickly outgrow a small one. Also go to a home improvement store and buy yourself a large hepa filter to run in the grow room. They’re only like $150 and will quickly pay for themselves with the time and heartbreak you save.

Don’t spend too much time picking a “strain”, all cubensis are more or less the same. You’ll be starting from a multispore syringe, which has a huge variation in genetic potential. There are some unique varieties like PE or Albino, but save those for down the road.

Take it step by step, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. It’s lower cost and maintenance than any cannabis setup I’ve ever had.

Badfishy1

It’s really not complicated, it just seems complicated at first. Remember when you were first starting to grow and all the information seemed overwhelming?

Like any hobby, get yourself good equipment in the beginning. Sterility is crucial. A pressure cooker is how you keep your substrate sterile, so buy the biggest one you can find. You will quickly outgrow a small one. Also go to a home improvement store and buy yourself a large hepa filter to run in the grow room. They’re only like $150 and will quickly pay for themselves with the time and heartbreak you save.

Don’t spend too much time picking a “strain”, all cubensis are more or less the same. You’ll be starting from a multispore syringe, which has a huge variation in genetic potential. There are some unique varieties like PE or Albino, but save those for down the road.

Take it step by step, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. It’s lower cost and maintenance than any cannabis setup I’ve ever had.

If you have a propane burner and tend to explore further, I’d bypass a stove top pc and go with something like an all American 921 or 941

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Got a couple of kits from Amsterdam a few years ago, very easy and produced loads with minimum effort

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
After buying the kit from Midwest I started poking around on Shroomery and found the kits generally mocked - along with the oven door method of inoculation they promote. Bought supplies to make a still-air-box instead but had been so busy I never got around to making it. And realized I'd had the kit for about a month and had done nothing with it. They claim 99% success with the oven door method - so I rolled the dice. Three weeks later and I have beautiful colonized jars I will be birthing in the next few days... :hotbounce

Bmac1

Veteran
Pulling up a seat here. I have been very intrigued by this myself as of late and want to give it a go.

Sunshineinabag

Dav you have any idea which strain of fungus you'd like to fruit? Like blue meanies, PE or central American strains.....

mexweed

Veteran
done it here and there over the years, never used a pressure cooker or a glove box, just wiped everything down with isopropyl including my hands, only had 2 jars contaminate

once a jar is fully colonized you can break off a chunk of the mycelium and put it in a fresh substrate jar and it will start colonizing, takes a bit longer than spores

Fixer

I grew them 20years ago. I used Ball jars full of rice which I sterilized in a canning pressure cooker. Once I injected the rice with spores I placed the jars in a converted fish tank that I piped humidified air through. The shrooms grew great but weren't terribly potent.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Got a little ahead of myself thinking I would be birthing jars soon. Even though instructions say that the bottom of the jar, the last 5 - 10%, is slowest to fully colonize, I thought as fast as they were going they'd finish soon. Almost there now. But even once fully colonized you're supposed to wait at least another three days to make sure the center is fully colonized. So hopefully next weekend.

picture.php

Found a nice easy straightforward writeup for PF Tek.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24179086/fpart/1/vc/1

Very similar instructions that came with the kit. But the kit allows to jump straight to inoculation. Got everything to make my own cakes, so getting ready to finish off the syringes following the linked guide.

I grew them 20years ago. I used Ball jars full of rice which I sterilized in a canning pressure cooker. Once I injected the rice with spores I placed the jars in a converted fish tank that I piped humidified air through. The shrooms grew great but weren't terribly potent.

Most say: a cube is a cube is a cube.

Some say: a cube is a cube is a cube - unless it's Penis Envy.

(A claim that it's more potent than others)

But for greatest potency it seems it's best to leave cubensis behind. Psilocybe azurescens supposedly is the most potent. But a whole other animal to grow. I enjoyed reading this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...rip-on-the-most-potent-magic-mushroom/561860/

(And yep, got myself a syringe. :biggrin:)

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Hey brother,

Tell us more, please. I just thought the guide I linked was pretty easy to understand and basic enough that even I could follow it. :biggrin: It's using Vermiculite and Brown Rice Flour. But you're saying there's better options? What ratios do you recommend?