What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Remote backup of your moms

G

Just curious if the folks who keep mom’s also share or know people to contact in case something goes to shit for whatever reason and you lose one or all your moms? A grow buddy that ensures you don’t lose your favorite genetics ?

G

My point I suppose was if some purposely seek out one or two trusted friends that grow to make sure what they work hard to breed or acquire for years isn’t lost in an instant due to police, some kind of grow room mishaps or relocation. I sure would if I knew in my area I could reasonably trust and they trust me. And if I had some very nice genetics.

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm not big on clones.

But it would be nice to have a trustworthy person locally to keep a backup seed collection just in case.

Im'One

I have a buddy that i have known since 74 that is growing in another state? He will not be able.to.do the large outdoor plants due.to his state laws and weather. We will be cooperating and have sent the seeds and pollen through the mail. I am fairly sure if thngs went to shit he would.fix me up and vixe.versa

Bobby Boucher

Back that shit up.

Set up a needing friend with all your old gear, genetics and know-how, at zero cost.

Buys their loyalty, and serves as a remote backup for your genetics which for a person like me who doesn't get out much anymore, can mean the difference between having groceries or not.

Backing up saved my golden goose. I would have lost my one and only if it weren't for my "generosity".

q3corn

I didn't get to that in time, and just the other day I was thinking about how nice it would have been. Gotta find a few people willing to do so.

I have seed backups in a few places, but lost a few clones of some one-offs. Damn shame.

budsicles

If you don't have grower friends that can keep your clones alive/healthy, there's a less desirable alternative.
You can make hundreds of s1 seeds through self-pollination of a specific mother.

Bury a vacuum sealed stash of these seeds in your yard.
If you pop enough seeds you can probably find something equal to or better than the mom, with similar traits.
If you bury them at a decent depth the temperature shouldn't get too high.
They won't last as long as in the fridge...but will probably last a few years.

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
This is such an important part of keeping genetics alive. When you find a phenotype you really like, back it up.

Just like big tech companies do with data. Primary, secondary, off-site, on hard drives, etc.

It's best to have more than 1 mother, cuttings of that, trusted friends with mothers, etc.

Nowadays, we can be a bit more open about it (in many places) so that is helping a bit.

A buddy of mine had a happy accident with a herm plant throwing pollen and it turned out some nice seeds. Grew them out and there was a phenotype that was unlike the mother or father, it was a true hybrid of the two that was BETTER than the parents.

Unfortunately, the mother plants were labeled incorrectly and the good phenotype was culled. Gone forever.

We all know that Chemdog is around today only because it was shared by Chemdog himself. If Chemdog had held onto that and shared it with no one, it would be gone forever.

Latest posts

Latest posts