What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it time to harvest?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I think I really like this one! I'll do that! Sure...something like 1/5 - 3/5 when you "believe" their ready - 1/5 one week later. I'm not good at math but surely decent at eyeballing! ;)

I'll update you on this one, it'll take 1 more month tough. We'll still be here anyway...
WW
:tiphat:
20% might be a lot, I might start with 1 branch worth of buds for the early/late, but it is your weed too :) It helps to write stuff down I've found, no matter how much you think you will remember, you don't.:biggrin:

F

Frylock

20% might be a lot, I might start with 1 branch worth of buds for the early/late, but it is your weed too :) It helps to write stuff down I've found, no matter how much you think you will remember, you don't.:biggrin:

I write a lot of things down as i get older, not so much about growing but everything in general....

Sometimes i read what i have written down at a later time and am shocked because i can't really remember thinking of it. :covereyes:

Reminds me to not underestimate myself.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
LOL not considering what we do :biggrin:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
Well the thing about harvest is, only you know the high you are chasing. The high I want, isn't the high he wants, isn't the high she wants, etc. My problem is when people say, this is when to harvest, and that's the only time to harvest, and that's the final say. My recommendation is always to harvest a branch week or two early, before you normally would, harvest most of it when you think it's "ready", and leave a branch to grab a few weeks after that. That way you can compare them and find what gives the high you are chasing.

this is really good advice, especially if its your first time growing a strain out.
/plus it gives you some variety in your smoke from that single plant

CimbaKat

I personally go by feel of the plant, as hippy as that sounds. I had a jeweler's loop but never ended up really using it, some hybrids won't go super duper amber and if that's what you want, its like moby dick running a room of hybrids which is damn near everything now a days. I say fuck it go old school. I go by bud swelling, odor and hairs changing from white to orange. If theres like 75-90% no new growth , no white hairs blasting puts calyxs then they're good for me, unlike to see cannibalizationto where I'm about to step in (on some strains), others is be how finished she looks and smells and feels. Normally when I have a mixed feeling of awww I don't wanna chop you, imma miss you... and I can't wait to taste this herb, she gonna be good. Lol

webwiller

Update...

Ten days are passed and this is what things look like now:

S20190901-0001.jpg

S20190901-0002.jpg

S20190901-0003.jpg

S20190829-0005.jpg

S20190901-0011.jpg

therevverend

Veteran
It's funny despite my years of growing I still short of shrug my shoulders when people start talking about amber and clear. I've always gone by the look of the plant, how far it's proceeded into senescence, what the hairs look like, what it smells like. The color of the flowers is very important.

I'd say stick a fork in her, she's done. The desiccated brownish red hairs, the yellow spots, a few amber and mostly cloudy resin glands. Great job showing the necessary patience to wait for peak potency. I know people that would consider it a little over-done.

I tend to see things from a 'how much more does this plant want to grow' as opposed to 'have the flowers reached their peak'. It sounds foolish but it works. Once a plant stops growing the resin can only degrade. By the time you notice a change it's time to harvest.

I'd like to see a macro shot of the flower if that's possible. Looks fantastic.

webwiller

It's funny despite my years of growing I still short of shrug my shoulders when people start talking about amber and clear. I've always gone by the look of the plant, how far it's proceeded into senescence, what the hairs look like, what it smells like. The color of the flowers is very important.

I'd say stick a fork in her, she's done. The desiccated brownish-red hairs, the yellow spots, a few ambers and mostly cloudy resin glands. Great job showing the necessary patience to wait for peak potency. I know people that would consider it a little over-done.

I tend to see things from a 'how much more does this plant want to grow' as opposed to 'have the flowers reached their peak'. It sounds foolish but it works. Once a plant stops growing the resin can only degrade. By the time you notice a change it's time to harvest.

I'd like to see a macro shot of the flower if that's possible. Looks fantastic.

Stick a Fork in Her!

Lol, sounds to me like something Jeffrey Dahmer would say..hehe...

Here you are Sir, these are the ladies in evening dress:

IMG-20190902-190023.jpg

And...

IMG-20190902-190122.jpg

They don't look so "fantastic"...'cause I mistreated them a lot...I probably wanted to experiment each & every abuse and how much of it they can endure.
Jocking obv...but her, if these girl's herb's good, well, I must say ...
It Grows Like WEEED!

I 'm wondering...as it appears to me that growth is deadlock from about 3 weeks now...

The issue is that my mistakes made things less clear to distinguish. About 3 weeks ago the girls endured drought as I left 'em with no water for 4 days. My intent was to go through different PH's so that all nutes can easily be taken in. In doin' so I nearly killed 'em all, with as a result them losing all of their fan leaves but few smaller ones.

Not happy I decided to try to light burn them: achieved! I took it easy about adjusting the height of the light...till sugar leaves crunch like a packet of chips.

Surely this won't be remembered as my best yield....neither for my good looking plants...I hope I'll get at least some decent smoke out of it!

Drewsif

What makes a resin head milky anyway? Amber was not a thing until I joined the internet. They used to say watch the hairs back when the same people sold physical jewmedia. Also purple is magnesium deficiency lol.

We used to call amber red/brown/cbd and it was a flaw. Cbd was a derogatory term back then. I think today we'd call it CBN?

therevverend

Veteran
They don't look so "fantastic"...'cause I mistreated them a lot..

Ouch! Stick to the Micro-photography, in the Macro-shot she is UGLY! I don't think the beer goggles would help this one.

My intent was to go through different PH's so that all nutes can easily be taken in.

What? No. That's not how it works. The right PH is the one that hits the most nutrients sweet spots. You don't try to hit the sweet spot of every different nutrient cannabis needs. Must have been fun trying.

I hope I'll get at least some decent smoke out of it!

Depends on what you mean by decent. If you mean lung bustingly harsh then it's decent. I would have harvested it two weeks ago, that's probably when the plant died. I'm glad my 'look at the plant not just the resin' theory is kind of vindicated. I've seen nice looking resin glands on ganja that's been heated to 300 degrees, not necessarily a gauge as to freshness. Of course your stuff could give you a decent high, it's funny how the most mutilated home stone is usually better then most of the commercial stuff. If nothing else treat your flowers right after you harvest. More degradation happens from bad treatment after harvest then any other time. Hang it for at least ten days in a dry dark place that's fairly cool. Without handling it a bunch. I joke about harshness but if you use a heat source to dry, the buds will be super harsh and crumble apart.

Hopefully you've learned some shit. Ganja is one of the most forgiving plants you can grow, it's a good introduction into the greater hobby of gardening. It took me 20 years but now I know how to grow peppers, beans, cabbages besides just cannabis. Not sure if I could feed myself but I could give it a shot.

Also purple is magnesium deficiency lol.

Then I must have one hell of a deficiency..

picture.php

webwiller

Ouch! Stick to the Micro-photography, in the Macro-shot she is UGLY! I don't think the beer goggles would help this one.

What? No. That's not how it works. The right PH is the one that hits the most nutrients sweet spots. You don't try to hit the sweet spot of every different nutrient cannabis needs. Must have been fun trying.

Depends on what you mean by decent. If you mean lung bustingly harsh then it's decent. I would have harvested it two weeks ago, that's probably when the plant died. I'm glad my 'look at the plant not just the resin' theory is kind of vindicated. I've seen nice looking resin glands on ganja that's been heated to 300 degrees, not necessarily a gauge as to freshness. Of course your stuff could give you a decent high, it's funny how the most mutilated home stone is usually better then most of the commercial stuff. If nothing else treat your flowers right after you harvest. More degradation happens from bad treatment after harvest then any other time. Hang it for at least ten days in a dry dark place that's fairly cool. Without handling it a bunch. I joke about harshness but if you use a heat source to dry, the buds will be super harsh and crumble apart.

Hopefully you've learned some shit. Ganja is one of the most forgiving plants you can grow, it's a good introduction into the greater hobby of gardening. It took me 20 years but now I know how to grow peppers, beans, cabbages besides just cannabis. Not sure if I could feed myself but I could give it a shot.

Then I must have one hell of a deficiency..

View Image

Hahaha! I told you not to compliment too early! Yeah...surely I did learn something...

Right one/two weeks before harvest I messed up. I managed to light burn, feed burn and who knows what, badly.

You're right, the plant was dead when you said so. If I knew it had no point keeping it goin'...I thought the ripening process would continue. It does not.

Weed, as you have foreseen, is harsh and ir remembers me when some nigga managed to sell me few gs of pollinated ganja. It smells like ganja, you recognize as ganja in the mouth, but the high is weak, very weak. Can't get stoned with a 0.5g/joint smoked by myself. With Vaporizer I can't feel it at all.

3 months in the toilet.

Any suggestion regarding if/what can I do to enhance potency? Apart from standard curing which I'm doing in glass mason jars.

One topic is really pissing me off. And this is watering. I did understand that in nature rain is slightly acidic and the soil act as a buffer bringing PH bach to neutral (7.0) or close to.

What I do watering when it's dry is not running after the best PH range for each & every nute. Instead is more like acting the way nature does. It dampens the soil and then it dries out. Root has plenty of oxy to breathe and immediately after watered PH is lower so that low-ph-nute can be best absorbed. Drying out the PH rises completing all PH values and as a consequence, the best PH for each nute is reached.

Problem is that one day my plants were already dry, but I estimated they would make it till the next day (I had a bad migraine and no way I could manage to care about the growth).
The following day I completely forgot and I watered them only in the late afternoon.
Add to all this that when looking at the plants that seemed alright. When I moved them to water them I realized that all leaves were falling (yellowing and falling...and I wasn't sure if it was normal at the end of flower or nor...or how much is normal and when it is too much).

I also read about watering from the bottom. I think this is the method I like best as the plant decides how much to intake.

Right now I have 4 new girls in soil-mix...they're 4 weeks and as I was close to switching to bloom I noticed this:

IMG-20190919-072626.jpg

I topped the plants a few days earlier...and I should switch the light to 12/12 by the end of next week at the latest. Switch to 12/12 on 30th Sept. mostly mandatory (apart from bad health issues)

IMG-20190920-165635.jpg

IMG-20190919-072558.jpg

At the moment I doubt if it might be Calcium def. or mites...therefore I introduced a Cal-Mag Supplement and sprayed the plants with a mixture of neem-oil, apple vinegar, red pepper, and Diatomaceous Earth and sprayed this mix as foliar.

I also grabbed a pot of fresh mint, I read that it repels many insects

Lastly the "am I doin' this right" thing. Let's say I decided to supplement Cal-Mag and spray with the deadly mixture (in case it's mites). How am I supposed to check if what I'm doing is solving things or not?

When I introduce a supplement, how long am I supposed to wait till I can see a beneficial effect on the plant? These damages occur overnight...if it does not stop it will kill my small garden in less than a week. How fast will a plant react to treatment? Damaged leaves will remain damaged, right? Am I supposed to remove damaged foliage or not?

Too many questions dancing confusedly around my head...

SamsonsRiddle

as far as knowing when to water goes, try using a moisture meter. i use a blumat digital meter and for a water only organic mix keep it between 120 and 150. i used to underwater in fabric bags, then overwatered and got gnats in plastic totes. now, i just follow the meters advice and give the plants (and microbes) what is best.
once you eliminate the watering problem, then you can go on to learning how to fix other problems.

Dr.King

Veteran
If you're growing in Coco then you only need to flush for like a week max. If you're in soil do it for 2 weeks. If you're in DWC it's less than a week. During a flush for the first day or two keep the Cal/Mag going then cut off the Cal/Mag for straight tap for the next 3 days then the last 2 days do straight RO water and you will see a difference in the flush. Most of the major cannabis growers here in Oregon do it that way now.