What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gelato 33 vs Ice Cream Cake

trippn

have not personally grown it, but a friend has, and i definitely enjoy the ice cream cake more than the 33. i know he loved the growing characteristics as well.

furrywall11

Love that I found this thread....I'm doing a full Ice Cream Cake run right now and so far she seems a bit finicky.

so far, summarization from this thread;

really doesn't care to be over watered - but, can drink it up once roots are very established

doesn't like to be blasted with light, keep some distance with the HPS, she doesn't need to bump up against the glass

not a heavy feeder...maybe even a bit of a dainty eater

grows straight up so, LST and topping are a must

Does anyone know if she's Cal/MAG sensitive? Or N sensitive? Mine are 12" tall and I've got my EC at .5 and PH 5.6 in 4" rock wool cubes and I'd say only about %50 of them are flourishing....the rest have slight taco-leaf, splotchiness on the leaves- like a slight N def... I'm using Floranova Grow with %25 strength Botanicare Cal-Mag and that's it.

I have been watering a little heavy I guess I'll try really letting the cube dry out.

Would welcome any other info on this lovely and promising lady...

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Love that I found this thread....I'm doing a full Ice Cream Cake run right now and so far she seems a bit finicky.

so far, summarization from this thread;

really doesn't care to be over watered - but, can drink it up once roots are very established

doesn't like to be blasted with light, keep some distance with the HPS, she doesn't need to bump up against the glass

not a heavy feeder...maybe even a bit of a dainty eater

grows straight up so, LST and topping are a must

Does anyone know if she's Cal/MAG sensitive? Or N sensitive? Mine are 12" tall and I've got my EC at .5 and PH 5.6 in 4" rock wool cubes and I'd say only about %50 of them are flourishing....the rest have slight taco-leaf, splotchiness on the leaves- like a slight N def... I'm using Floranova Grow with %25 strength Botanicare Cal-Mag and that's it.

I have been watering a little heavy I guess I'll try really letting the cube dry out.

Would welcome any other info on this lovely and promising lady...

How far along are they? And what size cubes are you running?

furrywall11

I'm running 4" grodan rock wool cubes sitting on top of hydrton for air pruning. they're about two weeks from rooted clone...they look horrible. I really don't know what's going on...

they're under 600 watt MH lights, 3 per 4x8 table. I have a mini split in the room and the temps are 75F 40-50% RH. The lights are an exact 36" from the plants. From the way they look, all yellowing out with a slight touch of taco-leaf and, the lower leafs necrotizing I would say they're getting too much light but, that's impossible, right?

Nutrients: FlorvaNova Grow and just a 1/4 strength dose of CalMag has the EC at 0.5.

WOW! These girls are going to teach me huge lessons right now. I'm really at a loss for what's going on, right now. I'd say about %15 of the plants look fine and healthy but, the rest. ack.

I'm thinking of switching over to Jack's nutrients at 0.5EC. In the mean time I'm going to do some Verde and Photomag foliar for support.

Really open to suggestions to get these girls thriving and verdant.

So humbling.

field2 nursery

Ya no prob man

1 Purple Nepal
2 afghani #1 (before sensi seeds version)
3 grapefruit (1996 cut from BC)
4 Tahoe OG
5 oakland crypt
6 UK cheese
7 Jack Herer (popped 20 beans got 11 ladies and one was best sativa ive ever smoked)
8 Gelato 33
9 pre 98 bubba
10 Tie between Hawaiian Pineapple, Alaskan Thunder Fuck and AK 47
I bought a bag of some Jack Herer back in spring of 2008 from a buddy of mine, said he got it it from an asian kid(Matt) he went to temple with in Brookline, MA. some of the best weed I have ever smoked! the buds were thin and long, I wish I could get my hands on it again.

madalasatori

Veteran
I'm running 4" grodan rock wool cubes sitting on top of hydrton for air pruning. they're about two weeks from rooted clone...they look horrible. I really don't know what's going on...

they're under 600 watt MH lights, 3 per 4x8 table. I have a mini split in the room and the temps are 75F 40-50% RH. The lights are an exact 36" from the plants. From the way they look, all yellowing out with a slight touch of taco-leaf and, the lower leafs necrotizing I would say they're getting too much light but, that's impossible, right?

Nutrients: FlorvaNova Grow and just a 1/4 strength dose of CalMag has the EC at 0.5.

WOW! These girls are going to teach me huge lessons right now. I'm really at a loss for what's going on, right now. I'd say about %15 of the plants look fine and healthy but, the rest. ack.

I'm thinking of switching over to Jack's nutrients at 0.5EC. In the mean time I'm going to do some Verde and Photomag foliar for support.

Really open to suggestions to get these girls thriving and verdant.

So humbling.

EC 0.5 is very low. I’m running my cut at 1.4 and she’s loving it

furrywall11

Here's what mine are looking like:

3 x 600 watt MH 36" above table. 4" rockwool cubes sitting atop a layer of hydrton to promote light pruning. 77-80F 45-55RH. Jack's one part RO nutrient at 0.5 EC PH 5.6-5.8. Really hoping to dial this one in and they're looking pretty rough right now.

Any input?

IMG_7130.jpg

madalasatori

Veteran
That's mind boggling. Mine would go belly up if I gave them 1.4 EC. What stage are your plants in -- how many weeks into veg or flower?

That’s interesting. I’m approaching week 5 of flower, just bumped up to 1.5 and added a weekly root feed of Epsom salt as they were showing a slight yellowing on the sugar leaves. My water has an EC of 0.2 out of the tap

Am growing coco in small pots, multifed 6x a day RTW

Hope you get her dialled, if she’s happy then she puts out real dense nugs. If overfed she produces leafy buds

Edit to add - I found the leaves taco quite badly when too close to lights, looking at your pics its probably not that that is causing your issue

Last edited:

furrywall11

Yeah, 1.5 EC in week five of flower is definitely not out of bounds. I’m trying to figure out this early veg thing...thanks for the reply...light/heat sensitivity seems like it’s definitely on the menu.

That’s interesting. I’m approaching week 5 of flower, just bumped up to 1.5 and added a weekly root feed of Epsom salt as they were showing a slight yellowing on the sugar leaves. My water has an EC of 0.2 out of the tap

Am growing coco in small pots, multifed 6x a day RTW

Hope you get her dialled, if she’s happy then she puts out real dense nugs. If overfed she produces leafy buds

Edit to add - I found the leaves taco quite badly when too close to lights, looking at your pics its probably not that that is causing your issue

G

I was gifted a small sample of flowers of this and WOW!! Not a big fan of indicas but I like this. Just laid hand on a couple cuts.

furrywall11

I'm going to maintain EC at .5 PH 5.6-5.8 and I'm going to dial back the lights from 600 to 400 watts,..I'm wagering that at 12" girls are extra light sensitive and having excess light (3x600watts +super lumen per 4x8 table) caused them to drink heavy which caused nute lock out which led to nutrient imbalances added to heat stress and bleaching...over the next seven days I think time will tell the tale.

Burt

Veteran
Here's what mine are looking like:

3 x 600 watt MH 36" above table. 4" rockwool cubes sitting atop a layer of hydrton to promote light pruning. 77-80F 45-55RH. Jack's one part RO nutrient at 0.5 EC PH 5.6-5.8. Really hoping to dial this one in and they're looking pretty rough right now.

Any input?

View attachment 543933

Your plants are very hungry my dood.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
0.5 EC...?? My plants would die at that level for sure. Let us know how it goes moving forward. Good luck.

furrywall11

I hear you, bros. but, if they're hungry...then why are they showing burnt tips at 0.3EC 5.6PH? This is the triple diamond question

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The burned tips could come from nutrient lockout. You said you run 5.6ph. Certain nutrients are absorbed by the plant more efficiently at different ph levels. There's a chart running around here somewhere that'll explain it more clearly. Personally, I move all around while in flower. Anywhere from 5.8 - 6-3, depending where I am in flower.

madalasatori said it best, "feed her ec1.2 and be happy."