What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rate of THC Decomposition to CBN

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The question of conversion of thc to cbn in flower has been brought up a few times. I just saw this article/advertisement and thought i would share.

https://mrhempflower.com/cbn

This isn't Mr. Extractor is it?

The lab analysis for our CBN products shows around 20 other “mystery” cannabinoids that have yet to be discovered and researched.

No reason not to sell it then. What about mystery non-cannabinoids? You want entourage you got it. What about "mystery" cancer?

The hemp flower goes through the first extraction process that produces a pure full spectrum phytocannabinoid-rich (PCR) oil. After that, our team applies heat and oxygen exposure to the extracted material

Many things are unclear, including if that is
an extract, made from fresh hemp plants with high cannabinoid and terpene content,
or
an extract made from fresh hemp plants, with high cannabinoid and terpene content.

Our gummies are infused with full spectrum oil that contains 5mg CBN and 10mg CBD.

So that hemp was presumably under 0.3% THC, and 1% cannabinoid? That would suck to process - except maybe with CO2? No doubt the lowest possible cost CBN is made with only the highest quality extract.

troutman

Seed Whore
CBN can be made directly from THC in a laboratory. Roger Adams did it in 1940. ;)

Structure of Cannabidiol. VI. Isomerization of Cannabidiol to Tetrahydrocannabinol, a Physiologically Active Product. Conversion of Cannabidiol to Cannabinol

Dehydrogenation of Tetrahydrocannabinol to Cannabinol:

A mixture of 2.82 g of tetrahydrocannabinol and 0.58g of sulfur in a side-neck test tube was heated to 240-250°C until evolution of hydrogen sulfide had ceased (about twenty minutes). After cooling to 180-190°C, the product was distilled in vacuo onto a cold finger. The resulting material was taken up in about 25cc of petroleum ether (b.p. 30-60°C) the solution cooled and scratched. About 0.5 g of crude cannabinol was thus obtained. On further purification from the same solvent, it gave white crystals, m.p. 75-75°C identical in all respects with an authentic sample of cannabinol.
Note: Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs and is toxic. So don't try this procedure in an enclosed area.

Amynamous

CBN can be made directly from THC in a laboratory. Roger Adams did it in 1940. ;)

I have a small stash of old flower that was accidentally left in a storage locker in the southwest US for 9-10 years. It was triple wrapped in freezer rated ziploc baggies, and then wrapped inside of a thick black garbage bag, which in turn was packed inside of a cardboard box.

I cannot overstate the effect this cbn rich flower has had on my sleep. I would like to ensure i always have a supply.

We know that heat, light and time are factors in the conversion of thc to cbn, and it appears the process occurs through oxidation. In my case, oxygen would have been the limiting factor in the oxidation equation, as there were very small quantities of O2 available in the individual bags. Light was also not a factor.

So the question remains, what is the best available method for the home hobbyist to convert the THC into CBN with their favorite flower?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I have a small stash of old flower that was accidentally left in a storage locker in the southwest US for 9-10 years.

Examination of 2% cannabinoid herb from the beginning of Mississippi's university pot farming have their peak amounts of CBN at 1 year at 50 C or 2 years at 37 C. The peak fell at the higher temperature.

This never happens cleanly and the loss of THC and THCA is usually much more than the gain in CBN. Maybe CBN and/or THC is volatilizing, or condensations of THC, CBN, or intermediates with themselves or other substances in the plant occur. Perhaps some weird things get converted to CBN in the GC, and HPLC might show less CBN. Of course the terpene profile and other cannabinoids are affected, but not CBD.

Speaking of GC again ebay has a few of those golden oldies and some are even in working order with important things like chemstation and extras like MS. They might not get cheaper or more available than this.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This talk about time and temperature makes me wonder about the butter I make. I stopped doing a decarb step on the ABV, and now just dump it right into a butter/water mix in a crock pot. That mix will boil for hours (at 212*F because of the water), and the subsequent cookies have a pretty good sleep effect at night. I wonder if the time at 212* can be optimized. I now just cook the material until it is just broken down to a water soaked mush, about 6 hours.

The butter is separated from the water after overnight in the fridge. When it is time to make a batch of cookies, the butter and some lechithin is heated to 250* to melt it. There are no bubbles forming, so I assume the decarb is complete.

Any thoughts or ideas on how long the butter should be cooked when extracting fromthe material?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This talk about time and temperature makes me wonder about the butter I make. I stopped doing a decarb step on the ABV, and now just dump it right into a butter/water mix in a crock pot. That mix will boil for hours (at 212*F because of the water), and the subsequent cookies have a pretty good sleep effect at night. I wonder if the time at 212* can be optimized. I now just cook the material until it is just broken down to a water soaked mush, about 6 hours.

The butter is separated from the water after overnight in the fridge. When it is time to make a batch of cookies, the butter and some lechithin is heated to 250* to melt it. There are no bubbles forming, so I assume the decarb is complete.

Any thoughts or ideas on how long the butter should be cooked when extracting fromthe material?

May I suggest that you use Ghee rather than butter. It dramatically improves the taste by not extracting so much chlorophyll.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...action/9-4-5-vegetable-and-nut-oil-extraction

Latest posts

Latest posts